Walking adventure - Kit help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
A friend of mine is leaving the Navy in March and we've decided to do something we've spoke about for a long time - A walking/hitchhiking trip.

We're thinking, pick a general direction and head out on foot from ours in Suffolk. Got to be low budget so mainly walking although cycling is a possibility. Or any other cheap transport that arises.

Will be sleeping on route under a DD Tarp which I've just purchased. Need advice on what other kit to pack, sleeping bags etc. Aiming to cover 20 miles a day on foot so gear needs to be minimal but enough to be comfy. Advice on footwear would be great!

Has anybody done something similar? We're thinking around 2 weeks time wise but will keep it flexible.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Get some maps, get on a train to Edale and do the Pennine Way.

definitely be flexible - 20 miles a day, day after day, over rough terrain is a high achievement if your a normal person.

edit
/////////

I've just looked at the Pennine way in google earth, and you can street view it from the Hags Head pub to Malham cove! so some one has walked all that with one of the google cameras on their backs:)

Last edited:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
There's nothing normal about either of us! :D

I'll check the pennine way out though...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Do a short, local, (weekend) trip or two first. I used to carry 40Lb on backpacking trips (squaddies carry twice that) and, over any terrain except perfect flat, 20 miles a day would be pushing it unless you are both very fit. Now I try and keep the weight much lower.

In March, as has been said, in the UK the weather can be mixed. It could be hot & sunny, raining, snowing, or all three in one day.

Good boots are fundamental - you won't do 5 miles a day if you've got blisters all over. Ideally, you need to get them months before setting off and do plenty of walking in them first. You'll survive a chilly night if you're not wet so you need to stay dry and that means a decent top layer waterproof. Under that you could be wearing your granddad's wool jumper etc.

Having said all that, plenty of people have hit the trail with new, untested, inadequate, heavy gear and come out the other end more experienced :) Don't let anybody put you off.

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
I MUCH prefer the Southwest Coastal Path to the North or South Downs Way. (Sorry, I envisaged "Sussex" rather than "Suffolk"...) Great for weight loss, if that's of any consideration.

Strictly for spring/summer, May onward if you need ferry crossings. Being a Matelot, your friend might enjoy it more than an inland hike (though it'll have inland stretches). However, it is mainly up/down high cliff paths: I found 16 miles per day enough, especially in the Lulworth area.

Bullet holes in the "cliff" warning signs - but thankfully, it was a lie and there was no sign of the batchelor boy...

KIT:
A good comfy hiking rucksack. On my second 100 mile trip (1 week), I carried my 90 Patt army sleeping bag - bulky but so comfy and warm - and well worth the carry! The trip prior, I used a 2x season caravan type sleeping bag - freezing, leaving me worse for wear.

Kip roll. Tent flysheet, poles and pegs - but I carried a bivvy bag on my second (solo) trip. Crusader stove and mug. Folding cooker shield. Water in bladder attached to side of rucksack. Walking poles - not to everyone's taste but invaluable ascending slopes. Torch. First Aid Kit. Feet First Aid Kit. Warm top. Goretex jacket. Warm hat. Spare socks x2. Spare underwear. Map, compass, notebook and pencil. Swiss Army knife. Wet wipes. Spoon.

Scoff and water top-ups as you go along. Scoff to nibble at when on the move.. We bought eggs locally and hard-boiled them for eating on the go.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Thank for the replies.

I was thinking of some walking shoes, would you choose boots over shoes?
I like travelling light in general, I've done Thailand for a month twice now with a little 25/30l pack!

The biggies I need to purchase are a decent sleeping bag and shoes/boots. Any reccomendations on those will be great!

Like somebody said, I plan on doing a couple of shorter trips first :)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds

You need comfortable footwear: whether that is boots or shoes probably matters little for the sort of walking you are considering. Chris Townsend, one of the most experienced long distance walkers who has hiked the Rockies and all the major US routes, largely abandoned boots more than thirty years ago in favour of running shoes, cross-trainers and similar, reserving boots for fairly severe conditions.

I've done three TGO Challenge crossings of Scotland wearing Inov-8 shoes and they were fine overall. The technique for using them successfully does differ a little from boots (many wearers report that washing them out each night, particularly the footbeds, is essential) but they have definite advantages... unless they don't suit your feet. I also wear a pair of full leather old-fashioned boots that are regarded as heavy and archaic by many, but find them very comfy. Light shoes don't always suit my needs.

Unfortunately the only way you can find out for yourself is to buy some and walk in them.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Ive done a few light walks in my NB running shoes, and a hike up Montserrat in Catalonia and they seemed fine. Really light though so I'll have to see how they fair.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Thank for the replies.

I like travelling light in general, I've done Thailand for a month twice now with a little 25/30l pack!

The biggies I need to purchase are a decent sleeping bag and shoes/boots. Any reccomendations on those will be great!

Like somebody said, I plan on doing a couple of shorter trips first :)

It really depends what terrain you are planning to cover.

Although very different from Suffolk, twenty odd years ago, I walked the Coast to Coast path solo in March with camping kit and full winter gear. You may not need heavy boots, ice axe and crampons (I was certainly glad I had them when I got caught in a blizzard on Fairfield) but walking on public footpaths, particularly those that go through farms during the winter months will often leave you wishing you were wearing waders not just boots, gaiters and waterproof trousers.

Personally, even if deep mud is not an issue, I prefer boots with a bit of ankle support whether walking in the UK countryside or in warmer climes where snakes etc. may be an issue.

If you are wildcamping then the opportunity to clean and dry kit will be limited so whatever you end up doing, budget for the odd night in a YH, B&B etc. (formal campsites may not be open that time of year), and maybe even a clean up in a launderette to get yourself looking and feeling a bit more civilised.

The Karrimor boots and walking/approach shoes available from Sports Direct (I bought several pairs before realising how Mike Ashley ran his business) etc. are comfortable and great value but IME only last a few months before falling apart.

Spend as much as you need to get boots/shoes that are comfortable and durable, ditto for a rucksack and if you are not fussy about colours or styles, charity shops, Freecycle, carboots and the Bay of E are a great source of cheap outdoor kit and if you are lucky even goretex and similar breatheable jackets.

Good luck and keep us updated on how you get on. :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
For about 40 years I was a dedicated boots man, until my knee damage forced me to switch to lighter trainer type shoes
Even if I could go bsck to the boots, I would not.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I generally wear lighter weight trail shoes when im walking. I want to move reasonably fast and light. Heavy boots increase the impact on your knees considerably especially on long descents.

I wear proper 4 season plastic or leather boots when im winter walking climbing where I am expecting to be using crampons for an extended period.

I do find there is always a trade off and my ankles get rather sore walking over mixed terrain in them.

Decent flexible crampons will fit on much lighter boots these days and if you're heading into the hills to enjoy the white stuff knowing how to use crampons and a walking axe is important.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
We won't be near any white stuff so shoes should suffice. The plan is light, possibly even walking through built up areas, eating the odd meal out etc when we feel we need it. Hoping it'll be an enjoyable experience rather than forcing ourselves to fully 'wild' for an extended period of time. Kind of if we want something, we'll do it :)

Appreciate the advice off everybody so far! I'll have to do a search on sleeping bags. Might pick up some surplus waterproof kit for a good price.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Crampons on snow?
Even on a walked on / compressed snowy trail a good thread is enough?

Crampons are excellent on ice, be it lakes (ice fishing) or icy pavements.
Many old folks use crampons in Sweden during winter. I bought a pair for my old mum this year.
She does not like them.

Equipment:
The less weight = the more pleasurable trip.
I would look into getting an outer part (is flysheet the name?) of a three man tent instead of a tarp.
Closed cell sleeping mat, as thick as possible
Sleeping bag, mummy style, that goes down to -5C or -10C if you like to sleep warm

Aluminium Trangia the larger model (25?)
Maybe get the gasol burner instead of the alcohol burner. Quicker, cleaner.

Backpack - around 75 to 90 liters. Better to have a half empty pack than the need to hang stuff on the outside or cram the pockets.
Also a better fit on the back and hips.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I did Peddar's Way some time ago going through Thetford Forest. There aren't many epic climbs in Suffolk so footwear shouldn't be a problem. I slept out with a bivvy bag without problems although I went later in the year than you plan.

I agree with most of the comment above about keeping the weight down and also those about having a flexible attitude to overnight accommodation unless you plan rigorously. Ideal wild camping spots are rare in urbanized areas I have learned from bitter experience. I'd suggest getting a rucksack small enough to resist temptation to carry too much. 45 litres should be ample.
Remember the adage that it is easier to stay dry than get dry, so think as hard about waterproofs as about footwear.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Crampons on snow?
Even on a walked on / compressed snowy trail a good thread is enough?

I’ve seen plenty of people who assumed that the “white stuff” coating the tops of peaks in the UK was just powdery snow get a nasty shock upon finding it was in fact a sheet of slippery hard packed snow and/or ice caused by snow melting during the day and freezing at night.

Repeatedly falling on your @rse might seem funny for a while on a broad upland plateau but add all or any of, sheer drops, even a modest pack, strong wind, short days and an exit route via an ice covered path or steps and there is plenty of scope for things to go t!ts up very quickly.

The conditions I experienced at 1000m on the frozen plateau of Fairfield while doing the C2C were probably more extreme than anything I have encountered on peaks 3, 4 or 5 times that elevation in Europe or North America. UK peaks may be modest in elevation but when the weather turns bad, they can bite - British elite climbers of the 1970s used to joke that the Himalayas were great training for “real” climbing - Scotland in winter.

Although unlikely to be needed by the OP on even the highest of the peaks in the Suffolk Alps, IMHO crampons, compatible boots, an ice axe and the knowledge of how to use them without being a danger to yourself and others) should be an essential part of any UK hillwalkers winter kit and skill set and not just reserved for the North Face of the Eiger or Swedish pensioners. ;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Get a tent for 2 with a rain fly. You must get out of the wind at the very least. The trade-off is a lighter sleeping bag.
Is your pack waterproof? It needs to be.
Stay off the snow unless you do it right like Nomad64 explains = those are not just simple suggestions.
10M of icy slope can kill you. It's happens.
Our SAR people will try to drag you out before the wolves, coyotes and eagles find you.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
The Suffolk Three Peaks challenge may be worth a look as a shakedown for your trip.

http://suffolk3peaks.co.uk/the-route-2.html

You may need to hire Sherpas to carry your kit while you acclimatise to the extreme altitude but extra kudos if you manage it without recourse to oxygen bottles or fixed ropes. :O_O:

Apologies if the reference to snow in my initial post has taken this thread off track - my real point was that IME, particularly during winter and spring footpaths can be very claggy - stiles on rights of way across farms always seem to be next to the cattle feeder and/or drinker and the path will be knee deep in various shades of gloopy brown stuff. In arable areas, many farmers merrily plough across RoWs and in clay soil areas, by the time you get across, your boots would make Dave Hill jealous.

IMHO, dry feet are happy feet so for me it’s boots (and usually gaiters) every time unless I’m not going to be venturing of sealed surfaces but go with whatever you are comfortable with. :)

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Of course a full tent is preferable if you are ok with the extra weight.

But I still recommend a 3 person tent for two guys. Extra space is fantastic specially if you need to spend extra time in it ( heavy rain).
And not much weight difference.

My boots were made with a course Vibram sole, and when I had it replaced (twice) I ordered the same. Used wintertime without crampons.

The negative with a very course thread was mud got clogged in it, lots of mud!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE