little bowie in stainless

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
been working on this one today and just about finished sanding the handle before it got too dark for pic's.
6" blade from 4mm 14c28n stainless with stacked micarta/g10 handlebowie1.JPG bowie2.JPG bowie3.JPG

Reactions: bopdude

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, the micarta was supposed to be the same color but has a few different hue's. had to use up the scraps i had. the contrast should mellow and blend a bit better with age though

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can't help but wonder which design features I like best in any custom knife.
Now I know at least one of them = stacked handles.
This design settles that and the color shades are most convincing.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
That's a peach! what's it like working in stainless?
thanks, a bit daunting at first but 14c28n is actually not too difficult to do, just requires some precise temperature control and timing
it does work harden easily if your not careful but other than that is nice to work with

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Love the finish on the blade, the satin look- looks like your bearing steel finishes
thanks, after finishing the heat treat/tempering i leave the blade in vinegar for a couple days to remove the anti scale compound and thats the texture it leaves. i like to leave it like that as gives it a rustic look contrasting with the clean grinds

Reactions: Robson Valley

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
Much as I am keen on the modern style of knife making, that takes me back to scout knives with a touch of Randall. Excellent work.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Beautiful execution.

I have always thought that the dropped edge/choil really helps the visual flow of knives like this. What was the thinking behind not having the choil extend up to the plunge (plunge and choil coincide)?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Beautiful execution.

I have always thought that the dropped edge/choil really helps the visual flow of knives like this. What was the thinking behind not having the choil extend up to the plunge (plunge and choil coincide)?
your exactly right and im not entirely sure why i didn't do it on this? on the plus though it does leave room for a finger.
i have another blade the same (i made two) that i will be beveling soon and will do just that

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
saying that, it may be possible to rectify/modify extending the choil out further into the blade? or grind the bevel further back if i can get it onto the jig back to front?
or just leave it like it is :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If it was me, I don't think I would mess with the main grind. Too well finished, and too much risk of messing up. I grind freehand, so the jig wouldn't come into it...would help with accuracy, but be a pain to use with all the handle.

What I might try is extending the choil. I don't know whether I would be able to get any part of my grinding belt in there, but failing that I might be tempted to try a carbide burr in my Dremel / Wizard type tool. Or a small sanding wheel.

I would think that there would be better support for a finger if the choil/ricasso area was all one height, either way.

Looking at your stuff makes me want to get back to my workshop and get making again! Thanks for posting good stuff :D

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
it shouldnt be to difficult to grind the choil out a little further with a sanding drum, it may take a few drums and some time so i dont over heat it. as you say would give a cleaner profile... the more i look at it now the more i want to do it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE