It's that time of year again. Lighting the woodburner....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Well I just got the first bollocking off of the wife. The time has come for the fire to be lit in our house and my usual routine kicks in. Scrabbling about in the ash to look for a piece of charcoal from the last burn, flicking a spark on it and slowly blowing on it, adding other bits of charcoal until I have a nice ember and getting the kindling going with that.

When we first moved in it was a firelighter affair. Then paper, and then this. I keep a piece of pine with lots of resin on it to grate tinder off of. I quite enjoy doing it like this. But then I wondered, how many other bcuk folk do it? I've not quite plucked up the courage to try bow drilling in the living room as it would stink and she would kill me, but I think lighting with a proper steel is acceptable right? Or do you think I need to get out more?! :rolleyes2:

Reactions: Arya and Bartsman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, get out more :)
You know how to do it, you've practiced till you're confident, now the only important thing is getting the fire lit so the missus is warm! We've had our burner going since September; I light it with whatever is at hand to get the job done - which could be as simple as a firelighter or, if we've run out, and there's no newspaper etc. ('cos we don't get one) I'll use a spark on a natural tinder. I'm a strong advocate of learning and practicing then moving on so life is simple; you don't have to prove yourself to anyone :)
Just my opinion of course.
Cheers,
Broch

Reactions: Robson Valley

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
If it brings you pleasure to blow embers to flame from old charcoal then fantastic.

If I need a fire going fast I’ll use fire lighters. If I want to play with my skills I’ll do it more traditionally. Bow drill or hand drill for example.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I do this for the first fire of the autumn, we get it going with flint, steel and charcloth.. After that, its whatever the person fancies, but its a nice opportunity..

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Only the first bollocking? You must be a newly-wed!

Firelighter and match for our wood burner. But I will admit to keeping hand in by using more bushy methods to keep hand in from time to time when time is not of the essence.

"Pity you weren't as efficient when it was cold and wet and the boys were hungry after a long day when we were in the High Sierras wilderness back in the 1980s! remarks the wife when the fire in the wood burner catches quickly." Thus repeating bollocking number two million and seventy-six (approximately). Well, she has a long memory and 56 years worth of triggers.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Our place gets cold in the winter, we have huge single glazed windows and concrete floors under the carpets. I confess to using a jet flame lighter and fire lighters most days just to get the heat going quickly. If I'm mucking about camping, I'll usually throw a few sparks onto tinder.

First winter we were here, I ran the heating most of the time, only for everything to suddenly become cold the week after Christmas. We'd used a whole Calor tank of gas! Cost me £750 to fill it again. So I fitted a burner and use an oil filled rad in the bedroom just to keep the chill off a bit.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Crumbs I’ve had mine going since the end of August. My take is keep it simple firelighters matches, lighter.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Haha :)

Ping me your address and I'll send you a jet flame lighter to go with them.

That's very kind of you Nice, but that would make it too easy!

I sparked the coals again this evening. Just can't help it. I don't even think it takes any longer to start it that way than it does to screw up a load of paper? Firelighters aren't free - I like free!

Reactions: Leshy

woodsa

Sep 30, 2016
Devon
We might light ours tonight, just because we’re missing the flames.
I usually melt candle wax over cotton wool balls to use as firefighters. They work a treat. I tend to forage for them in my missus’ make up bag!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
At this time of the year we often light the wood burner but then just let it go out as it gets too warm.
My latest favourite method is flint and steel, amadou and a sulphur match. The match makes the transition from ember to flame much quicker and doesn't fill the room with smoke.

Z

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Had mine blazing last night and will again tonight. I’m burning joinery offcuts, breaks my heart some of the pieces I’m putting in. I’ve an increasing pile of bits I just can’t bring myself to burn.

Reactions: Leshy and Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The wood pellet burner is a fairly complex pile of steel and machinery.
After a clean out (500+lbs), the best starter is a soft alcohol gel and a match.
I suppose I squirt 2 tablespoons(?) over a starter cup of pellets.

Our chimneys are far colder than yours would be in winter.
The result is the risk of combustibles condensing in the cold chimney and the potential fire risk.

Cold enough here that I've averaged 10,000lbs per winter for a decade.

For various reasons, I had to run the central heating oil furnace this winter past.
The thermostat is set to deliver 20C in the kitchen.
I think it was finally warm enough that the furnace did not come on even once last night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE