can you recycle mini CO2 canisters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
As per the thread title really. I just brought home about 10 mini canisters that someone had dumped in the stream where I walk the dog. They look like air rifle or soft air types but I've never used them so could be something else. I know they're steel because my magnet on a stick picked them out of the water. They seem to be empty but the valves are rusty so I dont know if I can test them. What do people do with dead ones? (Dont say chuck them in a stream :mad2: )

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm interested to see if there is anything positive that can be done with them. Once had over a hundred dropped in a work car park - they're used for substance abuse (nitrous oxide)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I'm interested to see if there is anything positive that can be done with them. Once had over a hundred dropped in a work car park - they're used for substance abuse (nitrous oxide)

The only suggestion I found on google was to fill them with lead to make fishing weights.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
you could make wind chimes of them. just drill a hole in the bottom and thread fishing line through. take s can lid punch holes around the rim and tie rhe lines off to it.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
The CO2 ones, used for low power airguns, don't have a valve. They have a soft, pressed in, cap, which is pierced as you screw them into the gun. So they are not going to be recycleable by refilling.
But I'd love to find another uise for them, as we get a bin full at our local range.

(If you can think of anything to use spent 22rf brass for, other than weighing it in for scrap....)

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Scuba tanks for Action Man :smile:

If you can think of anything to use spent 22rf brass for, other than weighing it in for scrap....
knife scale pins or lanyard ferrules could be possible

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Many .22 cartridges are made from brass plated steel. These days even the low cost 9mm and .38 Spec are made like this.

Our range is full of rusting empties.

No European or N. American manufacturers though. China, Brazil, Russia.

Check first.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
What is the OD of the canisters? In my minds eye it is about 15mm.... if so I would think you could cut the end off and use a end cap from 15mm plumbing pipe. If it would fit a quick trip to your local plumbers merchants would be on the cards ;)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've made a few little containers from old co2 capsules. Saw the thing top off and whittle son wooden corks for them. I filled mine with matches, cotton etc, some with pellets for airguns and although my thread on it was yeeeeears ago people suggested salt n pepper for camping.

However.. they may look like co2 capsules but could be the smaller ones used for laughing gas/creamer gas that kids honk to get high lol. I was magnet fishing last week and pulled a hat full in one giant magnetised bunch and at first thought they were co2 but after a close looked realised they were not.. some junkie punk must have disposed of them in their box in the river. The box rotted and they stayed together enough for my magnet to collect so many at once.

Our colonial cousins make mini pipe bombs with them and other stupid stuff, but anything small you need on you but want to contain will be good to shove inside. Especially cool if you were to solder multiple together and have a pan pipe looking seasoning case. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE