Internal v External frame packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Did the conversion. Fantastic design but not for $591.99 Cad dollars plus shipping about 1/2 way around the world.
Your review can make a big difference.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Did the conversion. Fantastic design but not for $591.99 Cad dollars plus shipping about 1/2 way around the world.
Your review can make a big difference.
I've been put off by the price for a while but it looks pretty bombproof and if it lasts my lifetime I'd call it cheap. It's the adjustability that got me in the end. Spent too long hauling too much in packs that aren't quite right.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
I've finally dropped the hammer on one of these
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-tst-rp80-recon-pack/53979
The high level of adjustability might help out your back issues.
I'll let you know how I get on with it. Should be here next week.
I’ve been thinking of that one too. That and the Savotta modular. I guess the price is stopping me so far. There was an American review on YouTube I watched about that bergan. Does look good. Please let us know what you think of it when it arrives?

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I’ve been thinking of that one too. That and the Savotta modular. I guess the price is stopping me so far. There was an American review on YouTube I watched about that bergan. Does look good. Please let us know what you think of it when it arrives?
I have a couple of savotta packs already and the quality is fantastic, so no worries there. The ljk modular does look good as well but I'm not sure how adjustable it is. Plus the RP80 and 2 xl sarma side pouches is still cheaper.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Wortbag,

Re good waist belt:

I've been using one of these for quite sometime now on various rucks - internal/external framed and on a skeleton order-ish set up too.

Pricey but very comfortable IMO.

Warrior Assault Systems.

NI Ruck Mods II 6..jpg

Scrofula

Mar 2, 2009
Norwich
Tatonka do an external frame load carrier called the Lastenkraxe. You can pick one up for just over £100 on Amazon deals now and again. Apparently you can get packs to fit on them, but no one in the UK seems to stock them. Very comfortable packs though, and rated to carry up to 50kg.

I tend to use mine with a 70L dry bag strapped to it.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Well, my RP80 turned up today. It takes a little while to assemble but the instructions on varustalekas website are very good. Build quality is, as I expected, great. I'll load it up and take it out on my day off, can't wait!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Well, my RP80 turned up today. It takes a little while to assemble but the instructions on varustalekas website are very good. Build quality is, as I expected, great. I'll load it up and take it out on my day off, can't wait!
I've now done a couple of 10 mile walks with the pack. The first with 32lb pack weight, the second 36lb, the comfort of this pack has exceeded my expectations. I can't say that it's like you're not carrying anything, 30+lbs is still 30+lbs but its like the weight is just part of you, not on your back, or your hips, or shoulders. You can just get on with enjoying your walk. Admittedly Norfolk hasn't the most challenging terrain but the pack seems super stable. I'll try and do a proper review when I've had some more time with it and lived out of it a bit.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I've now done a couple of 10 mile walks with the pack. The first with 32lb pack weight, the second 36lb, the comfort of this pack has exceeded my expectations. I can't say that it's like you're not carrying anything, 30+lbs is still 30+lbs but its like the weight is just part of you, not on your back, or your hips, or shoulders. You can just get on with enjoying your walk. Admittedly Norfolk hasn't the most challenging terrain but the pack seems super stable. I'll try and do a proper review when I've had some more time with it and lived out of it a bit.

Lol, Norfolk.

I Find 30 feels like30 on flat ground, but up hills 30 feels like 60 (as well it should) and the knees dont half take it.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Lol, Norfolk.

I Find 30 feels like30 on flat ground, but up hills 30 feels like 60 (as well it should) and the knees dont half take it.
I know that feeling!:)

I'm in the process of getting "pack fit" again, so I've generally been carrying 20+lbs on my walks and I'm not yet used to the larger load.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I continue to tweak and modify and at this time I now have a hybrid willow, plastic piping and aluminium with removable wheels hybrid. I think I could exchange the wheels for a larger set and use it as a bike trailer. I am going to collect a tricycle soon so I am going to see what I can do with it. This much though as a pack frame I think it is better than anything you can buy anywhere because as I said I have made it for myself and am continually tweaking it. That I do think is the way to go, if we could live in a time where everything was not ready made but had to finished off and adapted by the user we would be in a better world.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Laurentius :- You have any pictures of your hybrid pack frame, I'd be well interested to see them?

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
I've been looking around at 'treating' myself to a new bergan sized pack (say 80+ litres). I have a long term chronic issue with my sacroiliac joint for which I receive treatment and manage the issue well.
Any comments/observations would be greatly appreciated.

Trying to consider the biomechanics and stresses of the sacroiliac joint under load, the first thing that comes to mind is putting the maximum amount of load as directly onto the hips as possible - as many have suggested by using a rucksack waistbelt.

1)
In theory, I'm thinking that a type of semi-flexible external A or H frame, where the bottom ends of the frame fit into a specially padded belt, might work even better. The shoulder straps are there more to hold and stabilise the top of the rucksack than to bear the weight onto the shoulders. The frame has to have some sort of flex in it otherwise the top of the rucksack will sometimes swing side-to-side, especially on long paces and uphill. I don't know if anyone's invented such a thing.

2)
Another point that might make things easier is footwear. I'm thinking that better cushioned heels (and/or insoles) would at least reduce the shock on the spine from the rucksack load as each pace strikes the ground. Is the pain more noticeable when you walk on hard ground (eg; pavement) compared to on soft grass?

3)
Walking gait. I've been running with weight since I was 15 but in the past 3 years I've had to stop running altogether. Impact injuries. Developing a running gait that puts less impact on the body would help - but I've found it very difficult to maintain because I lose concentration and instinctively switch into my lifelong "running mode" of regulating breath whilst running at as fast a pace as I can. If you're better disciplined than me, this - in theory - could help. Everyone's different, you'd have to experiment and try to create a habit.

I use an internal frame rucksack (90 patt PLCE) daily for shopping, tasks, etc. I've had the same (external frame) SAS/PARA bergen since 1983 which I still use for proper, heavy load carries (usually during partial home moves via public transport and location photoshoots where I have to carry studio gear). Last month, I carried 73lb in my trusty bergen - no problem. Bergens are for heavy load carries, not for comfort - and it is not comfortable...

If I carried 40lb or more in my PLCE rucksack over the same distance (2 miles), I'd have risked backache. Frameless packs (eg: 95 patt NI patrol pack) tend to give me upper spine ache when loaded to ~30lb, every time. I very rarely get backache/injury with my proper bergen (external frame). I'm still trying to work out the whys and wherefors of all this...

Depending on feasibility of using one on countryside paths, laws and the practicalities of recharging, etc, I foresee myself one day making a rack to mount a rucksack on the front of a Segway and using that to get out and about in the outdoors. Cheating, I know but it sounds like it might be fun...

There is a third option however it's still experimental, the bouncing backpack.

I keep thinking about Newton's theories of force. This is a system of shock absorption. Surely, this pack can only reduce impact on the body - the weight will still be there. Increased, in fact because of the systems mechanism.

Walking at a steady pace, I think it could work - even assist pace. That said, I suspect that it could easily cause "indirect" injury by aggressively unbalancing the wearer when he/she has to step over even a small obstacle or turn sharply. Any sudden change of cadence would have the wearer wobbling. Looking sort of like the start of "Dizzy Dummies" event on the gameshow "Wipeout"...
:O_O:

Reactions: petrochemicals

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE