Making a home made tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
Hi folks

Im very soon going to be making myself a tarp from waxed canvas. But im finding it very difficult to find some good strong cotton or linen thread. I have used some polyester thread resently to make a small bag which would definitely be strong enough but i think it could let water threw. Would be good to here from some more experienced folk on this matter.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd say it'd be better with cotton thread as when you wet the tarp initially, the thread will swell and help to fill the stitch holes. When we were making canvas stuff we got strong cotton from an upholstery place in Edinburgh. I'm sure we got some on ebay last time..

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
John's answer is pretty sound :D

If you do want linen thread though, FabricBazaar in Glasgow is selling big cops of Barbour Campbell for under a tenner. Absolutely brilliant thread :)

M

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
Thank for the advice. Toddy i think you might have recomended that place to hamish resently were going to have a trip there some time early next year.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did indeed :)
He's selling very good wool and he still has some bolts of waterproof fabrics too.
Phone and ask if there's something specific you're looking for if you're coming a distance. The staff are helpful.
Tell them I advised you to phone (Hamish knows my name) and they'll know what sort of stuff you're looking for.
They also have a fair selection of the strap clips and the like too.

I have no connection beyond years of being a very happy customer, and them going out of their way to source stuff for films and events I was working on.
It's the kind of shop that's worth a burrow around beyond the quilting cottons and curtain stuff.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE