New site - Bugs, Feedback & Questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I don't know the answer to the like button at the moment but I'm going to play Devil's advocate for a minute. If we click Like instead typing thanks, does that keep more relevant content in a thread rather than diluting it with Thanks? I do see what you're saying and I will look at whether we can remove it or not but we're going to need to think about whether it's useful. Let me know what you think.

Reactions: Nice65

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Case in point.
I 'Liked' this, instead of posting :rolleyes:

:D

M

Now you see I'd probably just have a personal chuckle and maybe post a
rotfl2.gif
for a comment like that :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I don't know the answer to the like button at the moment but I'm going to play Devil's advocate for a minute. If we click Like instead typing thanks, does that keep more relevant content in a thread rather than diluting it with Thanks? I do see what you're saying and I will look at whether we can remove it or not but we're going to need to think about whether it's useful. Let me know what you think.

It can be taken any way, dependent on the individuals psycy. but in general it will be seen as something positive. And dish out a positive feeling to the poster. And therefore is more likley to garner, a reponse. It should increase familiarity, friendships, like minded people to come together. And greater conversation. Its a nod, or a wink, or an I agree. Whatever it is its positive. I read a lot of things and think um yeh yeh, but dont type anything, because thats un-needed. Because I already know it. But If I agree with it. I'll tick it. Reinforcement, always strengthens a persons confidence, and we must remember there no 'tone' on the internet.
Its just obviously a welcome addition to anyones post to receive some form of positive reinforcement.
That should be obvious. And in the end, may result in less moderation required.
It just makes communication clearer. Between peoples.
The alternative is dont have it, and people who put effort into, i dont know , making a sheath, then post pictures, see its had 100 views and no responses , is demoralising. and that happens quite a lot actually. Its so much easier for whaterver specific reason to go OOOO! Like that. Click, tick, done. The alternative is despondency.
Trust me, its a good thing for the site. And it needs it frankly.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now you see I'd probably just have a personal chuckle and maybe post a
rotfl2.gif
for a comment like that :)

I admit I do that too :D

Matt's got a point though. The threads here often follow a pattern where someone answers the question and then we diverse and the thread rambles on in a kind of 'sort of' related replies that do create a virtual conversation that totally broadens the scope entirely.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
All this stuff about not having it, because friends will only tick up friends is narrow minded. And possibly what leads to incinuations of cliquiness.
If you have an idea, and you're new, share it. And we will encourage you.

Reactions: Nice65

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't even think of the friends only thing. That issue, I think, is one we nipped off in the past incarnation of the forum. I hope so.
Personally I've been 'liking' posts that make me smile, make me think, showed something I approve of or admired, or gave me information.
I think that's how it's supposed to work. Yes/No ?

M

Reactions: Dave

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The lack of the full menu of smiley face emoji is a real shame. The old forum had one of the fullest and best selections of any forum I have been on. When trying to communicate thoughts and feelings beyond mere words, they were really handy. Poking hornets nests and beating dead horses said so much!

Reactions: Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
All this stuff about not having it, because friends will only tick up friends is narrow minded. And possibly what leads to incinuations of cliquiness.
If you have an idea, and you're new, share it. And we will encourage you.

End of the day it's a case of each to their own.

The nice thing about this forum is that whilst I don't see a benefit and you do we both respect each others view on it (even if privately we think the other is an utter idiot for not seeing that our personal opinion is the right one :D )

Reactions: Dave and Toddy

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The lack of the full menu of smiley face emoji is a real shame. The old forum had one of the fullest and best selections of any forum I have been on. When trying to communicate thoughts and feelings beyond mere words, they were really handy. Poking hornets nests and beating dead horses said so much!
That's high on my list, I just need to find a collection to import.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I imagine what will ultimately happen is the mods role will change somewhat, to encourage new people to thank the more experienced members, for their advice.
[An educated guess]

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Each to their own mate. each to their own. ;)Do what you want . I'll still be here.

And that about sums it up. :) People will use or not use the like button as they want. Dave.I see your point about about it encouraging people in their posts, and completely agree about how frustrating it can be when posts go unanswered.

Reactions: Dave

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I seldomly click like (anywhere, Farcebook specifically! ) so I'm not worried but sometimes it is nice to put your hand up in appreciation even if you have typed thanks as well.

I miss the emojis too (how did Steve rol earlier?) but am patient enough to wait, I'm sure there are more pressing issues to get sorted first ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE