Does anyone use work trousers for Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Blue Castle original combat / work trousers for me.
Available in olive, black, green and khaki. They are tough but fairly lightweight and they have a draw cord closure on the bottom of each leg so handy for keeping out the creepy crawlies. They have got buttons on the inside for using with braces and metal buckles on the outside to adjust the waist size by an inch or two.
I buy mine for less than £15 a pair and they last a fair while. I've had loads of work and bushcrafting trousers from £10 a pair to £110 a pair and I can honestly say these are the ones I prefer.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I ordered a pair of these off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EOX3EOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They arrived today and they fitted fine in the waist but unfortunately they were so wide in the leg they were like wearing clown trousers, which is strange as i'm pretty average build.

Gonna return them (thankfully free) and either get the Dickie Grafter cotton work trousers or the Hyena Everest work trousers.

Working and playing in my wood I use Hyena Everest trousers from Screwfix (about £46 I think). I use knee pads cut from an old sleep mat as I find the real ones too bulky. Loads of pockets (the flap pockets can be tucked into the others if you don't want to use them).

Cheers,

Broch

Broch are the Hyena Everest trousers made totally from cordura or is it only the knee pads?

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry Zammo, my internet's been down (a squirrel had gone through the wire!!).
The main fabric is 57% cotton, 41% Polyester and 2% Elastomer. The knees and the base of the pockets are cordura.

Cheers,

Broch

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Sorry Zammo, my internet's been down (a squirrel had gone through the wire!!).
The main fabric is 57% cotton, 41% Polyester and 2% Elastomer. The knees and the base of the pockets are cordura.

Cheers,

Broch

Thanks! :You_Rock_

At least your broadband going down has a bushcrafty theme, mine is just down as my ISP is useless!

DANTE10

Aug 9, 2017
Edinburgh
Dickies redhawk super work trousers, very cheap, comfy and robust👍👍👍 oh and not restrictive like some work trousers

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Dickies loose fit Double Knee work pant (same material as yours) - since five years. 4 seasons (roomy enough for a synthetic down layer underneath). I fixed the suspenders with my sewing machine. Trousers are really cheap, great in all temperatures, very robust, quiet and the material is not prone to smell.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
So I went and bought myself a pair of Hyena Everest trousers and they are brilliant! They aren't quite the same material as combats (a little more rugged) but they are extremely comfortable. They also have loads of handy pockets (though the smartphone one is too small for my Samsung S7). I'm probably going to have to take up the legs, as I'm a little short at 5' 9" and I'm also going to unpick all of the Hyena badges that are on them (I think about 3). But other than that a real bargain at £45 compared to buying ones marketed as Bushcraft trousers, which retail at about £100.

Cheers for the heads up Broch.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Zammo; my pleasure!
They are designed to have two leg lengths; are they too long with the stiff hem folded in? I tend to wear them in 'short' mode with boots and 'long' mode with shoes.
Cheers,
Broch

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I use a different sort of work trousers - 100% wool office trousers!! As recconended in Kepharts Camping and Woodcraft. They work great for all but the hottest summer days but I want to sew canvas reinforcement on the knees at some point. AND they only cost me £7 in a charity shop!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE