Does anyone use work trousers for Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I was wanting some hard wearing trousers with reinforced knees for camping but all the ones I could find seemed to be ridiculous money. Then I noticed that a lot of workmen wear these type of trousers and I priced them up an found that they're loads cheaper than one marketed as for 'bushcraft'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Mens-Site-Work-Trousers/dp/B00DD07OSK?th=1

They all seemed to be made of Cordura fabric. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these and in particular if the material that they are made of will be suitable for camping where you want to be able to move around a lot, don't want to get to hot and want a material that dries quickly?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I use similar. Mine are made from cotton and have lasted a couple of years and only ripped slightly when caught on barbed wire, but that would happen to any type.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I bought a similar pair from screwfix recently and whilst they were practical it was the material that puts me off. It's the poll content they use to make them harder wearing. They felt clammy and the fit made them restrictive when crouching. I will be trying other types as like you the cost of some of the so called bushcraft alternatives are scandalous especially considering what you are will be subjecting them to.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dickies clothing in general is durable. I have several Dickies denim shirts. Good value here.
They appear to be lasting far better than any styles from Cabela's. Cabela's shirts grow holes.

Best work trousers here are made by Carhartt. Next best would be Dakota, the house brand from Mark's Work Wearhouse chain.
I don't know if you see either brand. Your Dunlops look good. I'd like to try them on.
It's a real grunt but this might be a case of paying for quality.

I'm in the city near a new housing development. The road building crew are scurrying around like ants. Traffic stoppages.
Everybody in sight is wearing Carhartt, coats, bib-fronts and trousers. Even my coat!

jason83

Apr 6, 2015
Grimsby
Im a fan of combats at the minute for functionality at work but I also have the black JCB work trousers from b&q and find them a lot better than jeans and such, due to my job with tractors and stabilising equipment I'm on my knees doing maintenance as well as climbing up the equipment and out of the few "work" trousers I've bought these are the best, high waist band baggy leg and very forgiving crotch area plus functional pockets! I'd go for the slightly more expensive ones though as the cheapest ones have no knee protection.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I recently got a pair of Cat work trousers for work. I had previously just worn combats. These are so much better!

i could imagine them working well out and about, especially for carrying tools about.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah those type of work trousers are my everyday wear on the farm. I have windproof ones too.

They do farming, hunting, bushcraft, buiding houses, logging, anything at all equally well. They arent all created equal though and you have to pick a pair that suits you
I like "tuff-stuff" brand the best.....no way would i pay fjallraven prices for trousers when these do just as good

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I have had tuff stuff trouser for about four years but as they are falling apart now replacing them with dickies

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just regular blue jeans or work clothing for me. Most of the stuff marketed as specialty (I.G. bushcraft) is marked up well beyond its real value.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Working and playing in my wood I use Hyena Everest trousers from Screwfix (about £46 I think). I use knee pads cut from an old sleep mat as I find the real ones too bulky. Loads of pockets (the flap pockets can be tucked into the others if you don't want to use them).

Cheers,

Broch

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have several Dickies denim shirts. They fit well, they are durable and the fabric feels good. Better than Wrangler or Levis.
I do take exception to their snap button closures = weak. They do pop open as I twist and turn.
Is there a trick to snug them up again?

I have yet to see Dickies trousers here. Even Carhartt = lots of designs that they refuse to export to Canada.
My kid shops for the old man and mails them up!

Trousers? I buy nothing but Wrangler blue denim jeans. They really feel good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE