Sweden - Pathfinder Survival Course with Dave Canterbury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bear

Dec 30, 2004
ireland
Great trip,I'm envious,and looking forward to your article in bushcraft survival skills mag,will it be in oct/nov issue?

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Hey! Hibrion,

I'm envious! I've wanted to take one of Dave's courses for years. Look like you did everything right.

In regards to @janne comments. I think their just jealous! One of the most important activities as bushcrafters is FIRE. With fire we have something to purify water, warmth, light and comfort. As a true bushcrafter to only built fires in designated fire pits or to just use a portable store does not teach you correct fire care when you need it. You did the correct thing with building your fire on top of a rock! This was way better for the environment and less chance of creating a forest fire.
Again good on you!

You did everything correct as a BUSHCRAFTER not just a camper. :You_Rock_

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You are right, I am very, very jealous. Sitting here behind my desktop in a rented flat, munching on pizzas and drinking gallons of IrnBru.... Not being able to walk as my weight has ruined my hips..
I just want to have some friends, but nobody likes me.........
;)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Looks real good, Hibrion. But I am with Janne on the fire on a rock thing. Let's say :"Lesson learned", shall we?
Around these parts is is generally not acceptable in the outdoor community. Period. Private land or not, but the unwritten rules of outdoor behaviour state that you don't.

In regards to @janne comments. I think their just jealous! As a true bushcrafter to only built fires in designated fire pits or to just use a portable store does not teach you correct fire care when you need it. You did the correct thing with building your fire on top of a rock! This was way better for the environment and less chance of creating a forest fire.
You did everything correct as a BUSHCRAFTER not just a camper.

Before you start yapping, you might want to take time and read properly. Having a big mouth whilst not knowing what you're talking about does nothing for your apparent level of intellect. Remember the "leave nothing, but..."-line? And a true bushcrafter can light a fire anywhere, even in a designated spot.

Main difference; we live here. You just visit. Behave like you demand guests at your place should, unless you expect your guests to puke in your sink and crap on your lawn?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Looks like great fun and the area around Immeln is lovely.

It might not be the case elsewhere, but in Sweden making fires on top of, or right next to, exposed bedrock or boulders is a big no-no.
( http://www.swedishepa.se/Enjoying-nature/The-Right-of-Public-Access/This-is-allowed/Lighting-fires/ Brief overview from the Swedish Environment Protection Agency)

While people would of course understand if you did it in a real emergency, in any other situation, it's worth keeping this in mind when lighting fires in Sweden (whether you agree or not).

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I discussed the fire on rock-issue with a Swedish bushcraft instructor. He pretty much stated the things said in the link SaraR shared, but even said that it is even prohibited by law.
Lighting a fire on bare rock could get you facing a fine for causing damage. You might want to take that up in the article to prevent others from getting into trouble.
Just so you know.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'll be sure to pass the info on to the organisers who supervised everything, one of whom is a Swedish lawyer so I'm sure he'll find it interesting.

Last edited:

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
erm herm thank you for the write up it was a really good read i enjoyed reading , bet you wished you had left out the photos even though i liked them and am sure no rocks were harmed

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
Thanks for the write up. Looks like you had a great time. Dave Canterbury seams like a desent fella from what i can tell from his vids maybe one day i will get to meet him my self.

Its a shame some folk have to get all uparty about things, at the time you were going along with the course and now you have gotten some hassel that should have been directed at the people running the course. Shame folk are so quick to blame without thinking.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I just read the different post in this thread, and I must confess I´m surprised at the disrespectful reaction from some members when several locals share what should be seen as valuable information.
Don´t shoot the messenger, and all that.
Not only do these locals take the time to explain why it´s negative to build fires on rocks, they even take the time to add links for further reading on the subject.
Respect the knowledge of the locals, wherever you go, and respect that they even take the time to tell you.
On that note I also agree that this is of no fault of the participants of the class. This is a responsibility of the instructor.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I agree with Arya regarding the tone, which made the thread (i.e. the original post) uninteresting, in fact....The test of three, anyone?!

...and I agree with Janne (and RonW) regarding building fires on rocks and so on...

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I agree with Arya regarding the tone, which made the thread (i.e. the original post) uninteresting, in fact....The test of three, anyone?!

...and I agree with Janne (and RonW) regardning building fires on rocks and so on...
+1 to that .

Not confrontational, not dissenting.

Just a solid argument backed by facts, presented by 3 or more different locals with relevant experience of the field and area .

What more would one need?!
RonW said it best in my opinion.

We wouldn't want a load of tourists coming over to the New Forest and other protected areas , disregarding specific rules of safety and conservation guidelines , would we?

It's about respect and a love for nature regardless of where you go.

Posts like that last one by Corso just wind me up .

Last edited:

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
@arya: "Don't shoot the messenger"...hmmm...I would generally agree...however, the messenger is responsible for how the message is being brought across. And sometimes that makes all the difference! Unfortunately a lot of folks seem to forget that when postign in forums and facebook etc.
There surely is a difference between a) truly and openly discussing things in order to learn together (you may also find out that you were wrong in that discussion...or not) and b) to just talk down on people.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
@arya: "Don't shoot the messenger"...hmmm...I would generally agree...however, the messenger is responsible for how the message is being brought across. And sometimes that makes all the difference! Unfortunately a lot of folks seem to forget that when postign in forums and facebook etc.
There surely is a difference between a) truly and openly discussing things in order to learn together (you may also find out that you were wrong in that discussion...or not) and b) to just talk down on people.

indeed, and things only need to be said once, SaraR's post was the only one needed jumping on the OP when he was only a participant isn't exactly fair

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Guys, I had no intention in joining into this boiling cauldron again, but I had to, as you seem to forget one thing:

Not knowing the law is not a valid excuse. ’Only a participant’ or not. He, and only he, is responsible for his actions.

If you do not believe me and want to argue that, check first with a lawyer. Maybe there is a member here that is a lawyer and can chime in?

Yes, the american guy should know, but I guess he forgot he was not in the US?

Do not assume you can do the same things ( legal in your home country) when you go abroad. Remember, your country’s laws and customs are not valid outside your borders, even if you think they are the best and most logic.....

These courses (by internationally acclaimed experts) are a fantastic opportunity for us 'simple souls' to learn, and it would be a huge loss to us if the Authorities realized about the illegal acts, and stopped future courses with these instructors. A loss for us, a loss for the instructors, a loss for the community where these courses are being held!
Maybe the OP can email him and explain to him?

All I wish the OP does when writing his article,, is omitting some of his pictures showing the illegal stuff, and maybe referring to the Swedish Right to Roam laws, asking that tourists wishing to bushcraft in Sweden (and Norway, Finland) to check the laws first and respect them.

Adding the link kindly provided by SaraR would be nice too. And very helpful.
A simple online search will lead to the sites of the Authority that deal with nature. English, German.
Read them.
Worth doing. Fines are pretty high in Sweden!

Also, outside this thread, it is important that everybody going for a bit of bushcrafting to Sweden checks if a fire is permitted (outside the designated fire pits) in that specific area at that specific time. The fire bans change weekly , sometimes daily, during summer, depending on humidity, rain and so on.

It is a good idea to ask the locals about a ban everytime you go and buy supplies or food. They will know.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I would not go as far as saying" Ignorance is no excuse". We simply can not know any and all laws, not even in our homecountries. many locals completely disregard the no-go on the "current act of discussion" too, both unknowing and uncaring. Many more then we like to think of.
That's what I like about forums and threads like these; the sharing of information.
But deliberately dismissing such informationsharing or coming up with haughty responses like "people are just envious" or similar are sure signs of plain willful ignorance or stupidity to me. And I have the sneaking suspicion that one or two only jump on the bandwagon to look for an argument, too.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I have the sneaking suspicion that one or two only jump on the bandwagon to look for an argument, too.

The same could be said for both sides, I think the frustration from some comes when its the same people time after time who want to offer their option on everything written here

The OP took the comments on board and even went so far as saying he would pass the info on to the organisers which in reality he didn't need to do.

That should have been the end of it and in fact most of us were commenting on the event and not the controversy but as usual some people have to broadcast their indignation.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway

I agree that one should try to convey the message in nice manner and not try to put people down deliberately, but written conversations can be difficult at times and easy to misinterpret, since we have nothing but the written words and how these words sounds to us in our subjective mind.
That was a long sentence, sorry about that :p I hope It wash´t totally confusing.
Anyway, we have no expressions or body language, etc. to help us here.
There are so many different personalities here, and many of us don´t necessarily communticate in the exact same manners as others see as the "correct" and only one, at all time. That doesn't mean that the intentions behind the posts is bad, even thought it might be interpreted like that to SOME of us. Just because somebody´s not rubbing your back doesn't mean that they are trying to put you down.

So, how some of you interpret the posts from certain others in the is thread is very different from how others might interpret the same post. f.ex (just an example!) You might find the post to be subduing, whilst I don´t.

In this case the information seem to hold water, doesn't it? Or have I missed out on something? How about just saying "Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I´m going to look into that. Thanks for giving me the heads up!" Instead of starting insulting, or even try to put down these people that gave valid info, just because you interpreted their posts as down putting (or false).

And yeeees, I know I should follow my own advise sometimes.... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE