A bit of a Marmite question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
2 way zips on jackets. In my 52 years on the planet and owning a few jackets with two way zips. I don't recall ever having to undo one from the bottom.

I only find them more fiddly to do up. I have just had to replace the two way zip on my wifes winter coat and I used a 1 way one, she is over the moon with it and just about to do the same on a new jacket I have.

Does anyone ever have need to open them from the bottom ????

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do recall opening jackets from the bottom - when sitting in a car, to get at trouser pockets...
In all about twice in my life....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the big heavy brass one on my wax jacket; it lets me into the pockets on my trousers and shirt without losing too much heat.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm very surprised by the responses so far; I've modded many zips on jackets to become two way, I find them invaluable in many ways. Sitting and peeing would be the main, and very important, reasons for me along with reaching pockets and what about the crucial venting?

I have seen jackets that were ideal in every way and not bought them for the want of a two-way zip, or else bought them and modded them immediately.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
When i was keepering i had a long'ish wax jacket and the bottom zip was great on shoot days when i'd wear it for pushing through brambles and such but it was sweaty so i could zip it like a cape to vent or climb over stuff

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I use the lower zip end of my Särmä hooded Fleece jacket all the time. As mentioned, sitting down, taking a wiz etc etc. Essential for me.

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Mr Macaroon,

Is it an easy job to mod a one way zip?

I’m a constant user of two way zips due to running exeptionaly hot so the ventilation benefits are a must.

Cheers

Boots

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Access to belt/pockets/fly etc, all valid points.

As any serving/ex serviceman will explain - try going for a dump in the field when wearing a full set of webbing/body armour! :lmao:
Those two-way zips are a godsend - especially if waterproofs are involved as well! (The 'short-walk' - an often overlooked advantage of the good old poncho in my book!)

It's not like going 'for a porcelain' , there ain't time to sit and read the newspaper! :lmao:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hi Mr Macaroon,

Is it an easy job to mod a one way zip?

I’m a constant user of two way zips due to running exeptionaly hot so the ventilation benefits are a must.

Cheers

Boots

Hi Boots, I don't know of any way to mod a one way zip, and if there is one I reckon it wouldn't be much easier than just fitting a new zip of the same length; that's what I've done in the past, though these days my arthritic hands don't allow me to do much sewing of any description :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE