bits for kydex sheath making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 2, 2017
global
Hi,
I just ordered some kydex and most of the necessaries for getting some sheaths made for my parang and Mora Garberg, I'm just having trouble finding eyelets with the right depth. I am using 2mm kydex so I assume I need at least 6mm eyelet depth (more? I'm not sure how much the brass will condense).
does anyone know anywhere goos for these bits? all I can find is £35 to get 100 from America.
I want internal diameter of 4-5mm to accommodate a 550 wrap.
where do I get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
People who sell the kydex usually sell the other stuff you need to, plus it will be the right size, usually is a number 8 eyelet you need and they come in standard, which is good for joint two pieces of kydex or you can get long, which will do three bits or two bits and some leather.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
I've had the same issue and ended up using Binding Screws instead of eyelets. This won't help with your paracord but you could maybe make the hole for that and glue eyelets into it for strength, or leave it plain, 4mm depth of kydex is going to be pretty tough. The advantage of binding screws is they're adjustable, re-usable and you don't need special setting tools.

I buy mine from knife kits in USA

The small eyelets are #6 Which will just fit paracord needs a 3/16" hole drilled
#8 are the more std and bigger as they fit the Chicago screws to bolt items together.

They come in various lengths denoted by a second number . 2 bits of 2mm (0.080") KYDEX need a min of 8 length so #6-8 or #8-8 . Longer also works so 9 or 10 is ok . I use #8-10 on most of my sheaths

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I buy mine from knife kits in USA

The small eyelets are #6 Which will just fit paracord needs a 3/16" hole drilled
#8 are the more std and bigger as they fit the Chicago screws to bolt items together.

They come in various lengths denoted by a second number . 2 bits of 2mm (0.080") KYDEX need a min of 8 length so #6-8 or #8-8 . Longer also works so 9 or 10 is ok . I use #8-10 on most of my sheaths

Oh. Is this stuff you bought recently for a commission maybe???? 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So are we saying there is no real One stop store for a variety of Kydex bits and Bobs within the UK??

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
So are we saying there is no real One stop store for a variety of Kydex bits and Bobs within the UK??

I can't answer that Tee Dee as I am unfamiliar with this product, I haven't got a clue, but I am intrigued by it & would like to have a go. eBay seems to have multiple Uk listings for Kydex sheet, I like this one (Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYDEX-T-S...017170?hash=item1eaad3a9d2:g:UoIAAOSwXshWrItg

Fasteners seem harder to come by not looked at it in detail but this might be of interest... maybe a group buy if enough are interested?

http://www.indexfasteners.com/Resources/pdf/Index_MIL_LEO_D1.pdf

I like the idea of the binding screws

Would these work maybe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyelet-Pu...hash=item2a494edb00:m:mrfqNko0M_AqV3egfhDlGMQ

How do you form Kydex?

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

not to my knowledge - knifekits or brisa.fi with some stuff avalible at Heinnies are the only places I've used

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'm just having trouble finding eyelets with the right depth. I am using 2mm kydex so I assume I need at least 6mm eyelet depth (more? I'm not sure how much the brass will condense).
I want internal diameter of 4-5mm to accommodate a 550 wrap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyelet-Pu...hash=item2a494edb00:m:mrfqNko0M_AqV3egfhDlGMQ

I have never worked with Kydex. So forgive me if this a rubbish idea but if depth is a problem you could use 5teep's idea of using Binding Screws to join the two halves, but also fit corresponding eyelets on single thickness on both halves every second hole inbetween the joining holes, if you see what I mean, then you have holes with eyelets for your 550 wrap

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I find I use fewer and fewer eyelets these days. I tend to screw the sheaths I make using short Chicago screws from The Identity Store with hand cut rubber washers under them. That spaces out the sandwich, so the screw posts fit and provides some "give" so that the screws are less likely to come loose. This arrangement allows for easier cleaning if you get sand or grit into the sheath. A single sand grain in the crease in a friend's Bob Dozier sheath put a blunt spot on the blade every time he sheathed the knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE