'de-militarising' a smock - ideas sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
deffo think i will change the buttons, thanks guys.

As for the fur ruff, i already have a parka with a fur ruff so thats only becuase i dont need 2 coats with fur ruffs.

Will have a think for buttons, i *may* try make some.....

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
Maybe not quite what you're after, but I have a Helikon PCS smock in OD which has sleeve pockets covered in velcro. In order to make myself a bit more visible (and avoid getting shot), I'm planning on making some dayglo orange blanking panels to cover the velcro.

Maybe some sort of contrasting coloured patches, would make your smock a bit less military-ish too?

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Sew some soft tan leather shoulder/elbow patches and pocket flaps to it. It wouldn't matter then too much about the buttons. More of a Nordic hunting/shooting jacket.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
No-one will think you are on some military-vibe if you make it clear that you are only wearing it as part of a "hipster vibe" - by growing a ridiculous beard, the more "sculpted" the better, carrying a faux outdoor rucksack and talking loudly about craft beer.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Replacing the laced buttons will strip it of a key endurance feature unless you have the skill and patience to replicate the two slots in antler or horn.

K

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I speak a bit french, so I am ok there. It was the word 'ruff' I did not understand.

I checked out the meaning of it later on, it is : starched frill worn around the neck or: a projectiong or conspicously coloured ring of festhers or fur around the neck of a bird or mammal.

I guess the OP means that he does not want a fur collar. Faux or real.

Last edited:

madadam

May 1, 2013
Bristol Uk
Hi I've just got an M62 Swedish snow smock, dyed olive and changed all the white buttons for dark green. Although not demilitarised, it looks like a M61 Vietnam parka now. Not bad for a tenner for the smock and 5 quid for dye and buttons. I'm wearing it with a ecws liner and it's warm and moves well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE