'de-militarising' a smock - ideas sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Guys and Gals, I have an arktis smock, in black. Its a great jacket.

I have removed the epaulets, rank slider, and velcro patch. I was thinking about replacing the buttons with something different - it currently has slotted type military buttons.

I wonder does anyone have any ideas to customise it a bit, de-militarise it a bit and so on.

i can use a sewing machine etc.

Just looking for ideas, but not a fur ruff!

thanks

Ed
IMG_0620.jpg

Mollegabet

Feb 5, 2017
Kingston upon Thames
I would tend to leave it be in its current state. There would seem to be little to call it 'military' any more. Perhaps if the buttons still give the wrong impression then you could replace them with antler or coconut buttons?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Guys and Gals, I have an arktis smock, in black. Its a great jacket.

I have removed the epaulets, rank slider, and velcro patch. I was thinking about replacing the buttons with something different - it currently has slotted type military buttons.

I wonder does anyone have any ideas to customise it a bit, de-militarise it a bit and so on.

i can use a sewing machine etc.

Just looking for ideas, but not a fur ruff!

thanks

Ed
IMG_0620.jpg

If you are very handy with a sewing machine, maybe you can replace the top pockets with something more colourful?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sew on some colourful fabric 'stickers' or patches?

A tip: make your own buttons. wood , cow horn or antler. Also something to attach to the slider for the zip.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
richy3333: nice play on words. Here, 'pink' can also mean to 'dress up' cars and boats. "Pink My Ride."

MrEd: right now, the coat doesn't look too far off from the Carhartt 'Canyon' coat model. My next buy.
As others suggest, I think changing all the buttons is a plan. Wood could warm it up a little.
There are really tough wood-grain plastic buttons that don't look half bad.

In museums, I have seen centuries-old buttons which appear to be polished slices of very under-ripe hickory nuts
or walnuts. Trying to recall = 15 - 20mm diameters????? Really interesting patterns in them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE