Ration Packs - What's Your Favourite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
My wife has discovered the guilty pleasures of a British Army 24hour ration pack. Says the beastings will continue until I get her another one :puppy_dog

Nine years we've been married, no nom-nom-nom secrets, never nom-nom-nom bloody once nom-nom-nom mentioned non-nom-nom good the chocolate nom-nom-nom brownies are. Thought it was nom-nom-nom some man nom-nom-nom thing because your nom-nom-nom mother didn't send you food parcels any more. NO I am not sharing, what do nom-nom-nom mean got only one box? ooh Cinnamon bun nom-nom-nom put the kettle on!

Do you have a favourite menu or specific item from the British army or are you hooked on the gourmet offerings from other nations such as the French RCIR packs?

PS: should I tell the wife what the calorie count is or let the bathroom scales break the news to her ?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I think the latest version of rat packs are absolute dog toffee. Meat sticks and rice anyone?

Far too much fish and vegetarian stuff (in the standard packs) the soups now come in a pouch ready made but aren't that filling and would be better taken up with something else. The deserts are now poor, the cus-turd is some form of luminous slime and for many of them its just a dry sugary block of "lemon/mango cake" The Museli is gopping unless you heat it up with a bit of sugar.

They got it right with some of it however, the tins of mixed nuts, the beef jerky and the extra drink sachets are a good addition, but overall the quality seem to of went far downhill.

Tonyuk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Please let me know where you can get a full days food plus all the trimmings for about a tenner. Last time I looked in Fortnum and Mason, well when I say "I" one does mean one's Batman, they where priced well above the 10 Guinea's point. I was very happy living on them at the moot.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I've got a box of 10 with 4 opened and the snacks taken out for work, love them, so do the kids when we're camping.
I've a thing for fruit biscuits or even biscuits brown. I'm a simple soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I don't think I've ever tried ration packs but I have tried freeze dried astronaut food at the Johnson Space station (NASA) Houston. I rememeber the icecream was really good.
I watched a you tube channel of someone comparing different nations ration packs that was very interesting.
When I go camping I usually make my own version of ration packs to some extent for breakfast and lunch (dried soups, pastas, porridge oats, rice, noodles etc.) but always enjoy cooking properly for dinner.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I bought some from a member on here a while ago.

Tried the Mexican tuna and the spicy vegetable pasta so far. Gotta say, they werent bad. Mexican tuna was better than the John West tuna lunches.
As for the biscuit browns and cheddar flavored machine grease.....

Though the Meat sticks and rice doesnt sound very appealing. Im not sure what a meat stick is, or was.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I think the latest version of rat packs are absolute dog toffee. Meat sticks and rice anyone?

Far too much fish and vegetarian stuff (in the standard packs) the soups now come in a pouch ready made but aren't that filling and would be better taken up with something else. The deserts are now poor, the cus-turd is some form of luminous slime and for many of them its just a dry sugary block of "lemon/mango cake" The Museli is gopping unless you heat it up with a bit of sugar.

They got it right with some of it however, the tins of mixed nuts, the beef jerky and the extra drink sachets are a good addition, but overall the quality seem to of went far downhill.

Tonyuk

Tony, I've found all the deserts in foil packs taste rubbish - unless you warm them, then they taste five times better. I heat my main meal then drop the desert in the water to warm while I eat the meal - it transforms them!
Oh, and the fruit cake is just brilliant :)
Phil

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I've not tried any of the new rat pack meals, i've still got a few Chicken tikka and Chilli con carne ones, i think the use by date has well gone on them, but i'll still scoff em ;)

I called in Poundland a few weeks back, the LWWF meals Italian Beef Meatballs had been reduced to 50p, still had a good use by date on them. I stocked up with a fiver's worth, cleared the shelf :lmao:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Babies heads also Chicken supreme. Followed by apple pudding... Hungry now.

Miss the boil in the bags old versions, Yorkies, Porriage with apple flakes, hot chocolate, proper tea bags. The new menu is very sicky sweet

But most of all the Tin Bacon grill:p

Nov 16, 2014
Canada
Loved the Canadian IMPs, Salisbury Steak and Beans with Wieners though I would have traded the latter for American MRE Corned Beef Hash when I could! Don't ever recall trying the Brit Rations though worked with them often. I'm going to see if anyone carries them over here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE