bo, bo, bo, bo - what is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, not a very good description I know, but I was working in the wood today and some type of beasty (I assume bird) started making this noise - bo, bo, bo, bo (or it may have been do, do, do, do). Always four and about two bo's per second. It went on for quite a while.

Anybody got any ideas as to what it could be? If it's any help, oak and ash woodland in mid Wales.

Cheers,

Broch

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Doesn't sound like a bittern - they have a very distinctive two part boom, not a repeated single sound and don't repeat in set blocks of 4. It's the males that boom, usually in the spring - and yes it is a bird of reed beds.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nope, no reed marsh near. But the sound was definitely in the wood!
I've just been through my 'Chirp' app and the only thing that comes close is the short eared owl but they usually make more than 4 hoots.
I'm out there again tomorrow; if I hear it again I'll try and track it down!

Cheers,

Broch

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Sounds very much like a Haggis to me.
Most people associate them with moorland but they also thrive in woodland.
As you get close to the bird's roost you will also notice a monotonous drone behind its call.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Joe, thanks, a sensible idea at last :) although I still think it may be a Haggis (actually Joe, do you know what a haggis is? - that joke maybe lost on non-Brits!).

Fortunately, for my wood, we don't have any deer at all. The only 'barking' deer we have in the UK is Muntjac to the best of my knowledge and that's much harsher throaty sound.

I'm back out there today; I'll try and track it down.

Cheers,

Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've never really thought of the sound a Roe Deer makes as a bark to be honest - more a loud 'snort' (well the ones I've heard). I suppose it could be on the harsher end of a bark, more a 'woof' than a 'bow wow' (isn't it difficult to describe animal noises - or is it just me?
Cheers,
Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It was back today and I can now reveal that it was ....

A Raven!

I've never hear a Raven making that noise before (actually more a Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow - 5 today not 4).

Cheers,

Broch

Well, good identified.

I'd not thought maybe you had ravens. I heard one raven in England but he sounded a little bit different from our birds. He's good for telling us where the animals are in winter - they follow them and are always noisey!!

Do I know what a haggis is? I had one for food in Scotland!!

We have Apinci'nis, who is a hairy small person - very strong|!! and lives in the remote forests. If he's in bad mood he'll steal our children. If he's in a good mood he'll guide hunters back to camp in the old days.
Also there is Misi-kine'bik which has horns and lives in our big lakes and he eats people sometimes. And Piy'es'ew, the big bird we used to hear flap their huge wings as flew over our forests.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE