A bit of market research for item of kit or supplies that tourists may want to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Varkala ended up being one of my favourite places. :) Sitting on the cliff having 'special' porridge for breakfast and watching the kites swooping around eating the dragonflies. I remember on my first night there I saw four shooting stars within half an hour. Magical! :)

Thank you Jampan, I shall check out that link for the mossie tasers, thanks.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
JamPan is right: those shops sell everything. India or Canada, all the same.
My brother and I went to one to buy some lamb for a stew. No big deal.
As we waited, we scanned a wall of internal replacement parts for computers.

Yes, what will help me is Varkala cliff shops are lacking and most shops just sell clothes, art and jewelry, the rest of the places are restaurants and hotels. So a good U.S.P for me to flog a few items to make ends meet.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Dioralyte, loperamide tablets, painkillers, mossi repellent and nets, hydrocortisone cream, good sun cream, aftersun, plasters + anti-septic.

I'm not a fan of cheap gifts to take home, maybe some photo frames or mugs etc..

Tonyuk

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Dioralyte, loperamide tablets, painkillers, mossi repellent and nets, hydrocortisone cream, good sun cream, aftersun, plasters + anti-septic.

I'm not a fan of cheap gifts to take home, maybe some photo frames or mugs etc..

Tonyuk

Cheers Tony, I will have to look the second one up " Loperamide. " Some great ideas there. Thanks.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Small bottles of hand sanitiser. +1 for the small torches. Those yellow Anti mossi wrist bands? (I've never tried them so don't know if they work mind!). Small jars of Vegemite, the Aussies will love you for that!!

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
As a tourist who is frequently tempted into buying little things on my travels, stuff I'd 100% buy:

Patches/stickers
Ferro rods (with nice handles)
Bracelets
Random spoons
Small containers
Pocket mirrors
Tissue
Sanitzer
Cooling ointment (for insect bites)

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Small bottles of hand sanitiser. +1 for the small torches. Those yellow Anti mossi wrist bands? (I've never tried them so don't know if they work mind!). Small jars of Vegemite, the Aussies will love you for that!!

Yeah, the Aussies love their Vegemite. Did you know a tin of baked beans is expensive in India, like £1.20 or so?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
As a tourist who is frequently tempted into buying little things on my travels, stuff I'd 100% buy:

Patches/stickers
Ferro rods (with nice handles)
Bracelets
Random spoons
Small containers
Pocket mirrors
Tissue
Sanitzer
Cooling ointment (for insect bites)

Good to know. Thank you for your opinion and choices. Cheers.

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
A famous brand of Loperamide is "Imodium" which I think you're already aware of. Counter diarrhoea tablets.

Personally, I ALWAYS buy a map when visiting new places, particularly overseas. Couldn't get one in Homel, Belarus - perhaps there wasn't enough demand. Too skint for souvineers and no space to carry them although I like the idea of buying area idiosyncratic kit that's useful when back home.

Perhaps a few items of kit that are more compact than the norm. In the cases where a tourist is carrying too much weight/bulk and wants to slim down their kit so as to lighten their load - or carry souvineers!

An example, perhaps, would be someone arriving with standard sized mess tins AND a waterbottle: if you sold collapsible waterbottles or waterbottles that fit into a metal mug, I'd expect that would be tempting to many. Brew kits, small resupply bits, too?

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
A famous brand of Loperamide is "Imodium" which I think you're already aware of. Counter diarrhoea tablets.

Personally, I ALWAYS buy a map when visiting new places, particularly overseas. Couldn't get one in Homel, Belarus - perhaps there wasn't enough demand. Too skint for souvineers and no space to carry them although I like the idea of buying area idiosyncratic kit that's useful when back home.

Perhaps a few items of kit that are more compact than the norm. In the cases where a tourist is carrying too much weight/bulk and wants to slim down their kit so as to lighten their load - or carry souvineers!

An example, perhaps, would be someone arriving with standard sized mess tins AND a waterbottle: if you sold collapsible waterbottles or waterbottles that fit into a metal mug, I'd expect that would be tempting to many. Brew kits, small resupply bits, too?

Thank you Fallschirmwomble,

Yes, maps are on my list. 👍

The tourists usually buy 1 litre bottled water, as the tap water isn't fit for drinking, however there is a spring in the cliff face people use for good drinking water so maybe flasks would be a good idea.

I was buying small white plastic jerry cans a few years ago and filling up from the spring. 👍

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
best check on the legislation over there - if you bought a load of medical drugs abroad and started selling them over here you'd fall fowl

would hate that to happen to someone overseas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE