Gas stove query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I usually use a jetboil when I'm out camping overnight for it's ease and most area's I go theres a no fire policy or fire wood for that matter. I used my Jetboil this past week with a windshield which was obviously too close and the plastic around the burner has melted. I usually only eat boil in the bag or freeze dried food whilst camping. The question is, do I get another Jetboil or are there better alternatives?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I usually use a jetboil when I'm out camping overnight for it's ease and most area's I go theres a no fire policy or fire wood for that matter. I used my Jetboil this past week with a windshield which was obviously too close and the plastic around the burner has melted. I usually only eat boil in the bag or freeze dried food whilst camping. The question is, do I get another Jetboil or are there better alternatives?

Lots of lightweight JB users bin the plastic "windshield" anyway. The burner should still operate. If you are adamant on changing the burner I have used an MSR Pocket Rocket for years, the Pocket Rocket 2 I hear is good, but I am currently using a micro stove which cost me £14. There are loads of them under lots of different brands. One example if the Alpkit Kraku https://www.alpkit.com/products/kraku

stove_1000.jpg

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Can you not replace the melted parts?

Or get a clip on metal one ?

if your going to replace it and want something other than a kettle, a minimo from jet boil or a reactor.

Personally I like to cook, and the best stove is a meths burner (trangia) gives a widely distributed heat due to the way it burns. I have tried gas multifual wood(also good for flame spread, but a little uncontrollable and you need the fuel dry where you are as you have found) hexis, nothing beats the meths unless you go for something like a prius gravity or msr wind burner. Nice and wide and stable. This however pushes the weight up. A trangia (100g) a frying pan and lid (200g) and a windshield (100g) is nice and light and simple and good to cook with. Come to the darkside!

Pete

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

I'd say the Alpkit offerings are easily of the same standard as a Jetboil and half the price. The Wolf is 1400ml and in the sale at £36 instead of £45, and there is a smaller version, the Jackal, released on the 13th Sept but available for pre-order

https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit-wolf

https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit-jackal

It's worth watching the video, there are some nice features.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers guys I've got for the Jackal it had a few things the Jetboil didn't that I wanted it to have. Great to see the community help.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cheers guys I've got for the Jackal it had a few things the Jetboil didn't that I wanted it to have. Great to see the community help.

Yeah, and thanks to you I have yet another stove, am £39 down, and will probably suffer a deep ache in my testicles when Madam finds out. :lmao:

Jul 18, 2017
carmathen
I've brought a batch of the alpkit jackels for a training group, and I've found they are a slightly lower quality than a jetboil. Now that Jetboil's patent has expired there are various copies, alpkit appears (to me) to be a very well priced branded version of the fire maple (the jackel has an alpkit branded neoprene sleeve). A few of the jackels needed the Piezo igniter bending nearer to the gas outlet to work consistently. Also, the pot stand that comes with it stopped the igniter working, as it was sparking against that, too far from the gas. Weight wise there was very little difference. i found a gas bottle didn't fit into the body of the jackel, as the gas burner section is the wrong shape. Not a massive problem, but it was a convenient feature of the jetboil (i've the zip and the flash btw) to have it all fit together.
Fire maple have done an updated version I've seen on aliexpress.com called (firestar) FMS-X2. It looks like it's moved nearer to being a jetboil. I'm not planning to buy one.
One thing to note if you have an old jetboil, keep the orange stand, as it'll be needed with the jackel if your using it with the pot adapter and a frying pan.

There is also the primus lite and the msr windburner, both are jetboil price or more. My verdict is the jackel is 'good enough', but take a firestriker to light it just in case.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Decathlon sell gen jetboils for £60, used to be they were hard to find for less than £90-£100

The old alpkit version is excellent and mine is still going strong, not sure about the newer types though.

A few i work with use the MSR version (think theres 2 types of them) and they're also very good.

Tonyuk

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Or get a clip on metal one ?

if your going to replace it and want something other than a kettle, a minimo from jet boil or a reactor.

Personally I like to cook, and the best stove is a meths burner (trangia) gives a widely distributed heat due to the way it burns. I have tried gas multifual wood(also good for flame spread, but a little uncontrollable and you need the fuel dry where you are as you have found) hexis, nothing beats the meths unless you go for something like a prius gravity or msr wind burner. Nice and wide and stable. This however pushes the weight up. A trangia (100g) a frying pan and lid (200g) and a windshield (100g) is nice and light and simple and good to cook with. Come to the darkside!
Pete

+1 for a trangia as a backup. I can't do meths as it gives me an awful headache but bioethanol works great in them.
I tend to use a small wood gasifier or firebox or honey stove as I really like the fire/flames. Have started taking a trangia as backup or for quick brews.
Obviously each to their own though, I'm pretty static and have plenty of time to potter, if I were hiking I can see the attraction of those jetboils/clones.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've brought a batch of the alpkit jackels for a training group, and I've found they are a slightly lower quality than a jetboil. Now that Jetboil's patent has expired there are various copies, alpkit appears (to me) to be a very well priced branded version of the fire maple (the jackel has an alpkit branded neoprene sleeve). A few of the jackels needed the Piezo igniter bending nearer to the gas outlet to work consistently. Also, the pot stand that comes with it stopped the igniter working, as it was sparking against that, too far from the gas. Weight wise there was very little difference. i found a gas bottle didn't fit into the body of the jackel, as the gas burner section is the wrong shape. Not a massive problem, but it was a convenient feature of the jetboil (i've the zip and the flash btw) to have it all fit together.
Fire maple have done an updated version I've seen on aliexpress.com called (firestar) FMS-X2. It looks like it's moved nearer to being a jetboil. I'm not planning to buy one.
One thing to note if you have an old jetboil, keep the orange stand, as it'll be needed with the jackel if your using it with the pot adapter and a frying pan.

There is also the primus lite and the msr windburner, both are jetboil price or more. My verdict is the jackel is 'good enough', but take a firestriker to light it just in case.

That's useful info, thanks. I've ordered a canister stand from aliexpress for $6.23 posted.

In the Alpkit promo vid, I thought I saw the guy store his canister inside the pot? I'll have to watch it again. The FMS-X2 is quite a bit larger than the Jackal, taking a 230g canister, so not what I'm after.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE