the Arktis 1714 assault pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what is your opinion?

• used and its fantastic

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • i know it's good (friend used it)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i think it's good

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • it's ok

• i think it's not good

• i know it's not good (friend used it)

• used it and i think it's a heap of rubbish

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi can you give a quick poll answer to this?

the Arktis 1714 assault pack
it seems a sensible design with optional pockets and all the features i like!

how would you rate this pack?
1714_AssaultPack_05.jpg

any opinions are welcome!

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Rappleby2000, in your other thread about this bag you mention you are looking at it to replace your snugpack rocketpack. What are you finding wrong with the rocketpack? I've been using one for a while and have always been pleased with it and found it most comfortable for myself.

I've not used or heard of this bag before so cannot comment on whether it is better or worse, but looking at the picture and a quick check on the internet they both look pretty similar except that the Arktis bag doesnt come with side pouches as standard.

Also, and my maths is never that good at this time of the day, but it looks like you would only be gaining a little bit extra space if you did buy the side pouches. So you'll probably end up in the same boat as you are now and want to change it again, except being about £100 out of pocket.

obviously this all depends on why your fed up with the rocketpack mind you :D

Maybe a little more information might help.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
to answer that would probably need another thread.

basically i swopped my DPM PLCE bergen for it in a bargain deal i thought was great.

problems i have come up with:

no shoulder tensioners the ones that go from your shoulder to the top of the sack which are on 99% of all rucksacks (i had to add my own) otherwise the bag sits too low on the back.

side compression straps, you have to thread them in and out of the side pouch or leave them dangling, then when you want to take off the side pouch you have a 5 min struggle.( i added some fastex clips).

top pocket does not have a place to carry a roll mat, (i had to add some buckles).

the waist belt nearly always gets loose after a short walk.(i'm considering sewing again :( )

the water proof covers though well designed for some reason fasten with 2 plastic clips that sit in the middle of the back, why?

the snow collar is very basic, and is fraying, (i've really not used it much :( )

the side pockets though well designed the badly judged stitching on mine prevented the use of the waist belt of the yoke!(i had to cut the stitching off).

the elastic back cord always gets caught on stuff and occasionaly pings me! :eek: (not good in close woodland/paths) a nice feature idea but i don't use it apart from sometimes carrying my roll mat which it isn't big enough for!:confused:

often i find the sack (with side pockets)too small especially in wnter, a situation my origional PLCE bergen would have laughed at! :(

i am always aware the fabric is not as tough as i want it to be! (again the laughing PLCE!)

i want something as diverse as this bag with better quality features, and tougher fabric. basically a military quality rucksack that can be used as a patrol(day), sack and a full on winter (sack).

i know i have sung the rockets praises before but i've had time to get used to it now and it ain't that great! IMHO :(

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Blimey now theres a list! Some of the things you mention are things i'd thought about but dismissed, but I certainly see what your saying and am thinking that some of your alterations may be occuring on my bag :D

Looking at the bag, it looks to cover most of the complaints you say you find with the snugpack so perhaps its a good choice? Does it come in non DPM? :D

If you do get the Arktis bag - I'd be really interested in how you get on with it. Likewise, if you end up getting something else.

P.S Have you considered sending your concerns with the rocketpack to snugpak? You never know what might happen.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Hi mate i have no experience of the Arktis pack but i have one of a similar spec..
its the karrimor saber 30 (review here) since i wrote the reivew the pack has continued to be a great pack.. it wont take the side pockets but i think you will find it meets all your other criteria with reguards to quality of build and toughness of materials so it may be worth a look.

Cheers
TT

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
No experience of the Arktis I'm afraid, but I do have the rocketpack and have found it slightly too small for longer trips, especially with food in tow.
I am currently considering getting the Snugpak bergen - This is a 70l central rucksack, which I assume I can transfer the rocketpak side pockets onto. This would give me about 100l as opposed to the current 70l. It also seems to be alot cheaper that the Karrimor versions.

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=169_171_173&products_id=1447

:)

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I haven't used Arktis kit ever but i know friends in the froces who have used stuff from them to supplement their issue kit. They tell me it's good stuff and very hard wearing.

Working on the principle it's "squaddie proof" it should hold well in civvy street.

In my experience though, don't decide on a make and model before you have tried it to test for comfort and fit. I have done this before with clothing, footwear and equipment and usually come away with something different but more comfortable than the original thing i went in for.

As it looks like a 35litre(ish) rucksack, my advice would to say this to yourself... "right i want a 35litre rucksack and i have a maximum of £50 to spend on one (ballpark figure)" then go round the shops and try them all out before you decide on what to buy. Even if you then go and order it online cheaper at least you know it's comfortable.

IMO this applies to boots,jackets,sleeping bags and anything else you are intending to own for a long period of time. A bit like the old carpenters saying "measure twice, cut once" i would change it to "try everything, buy once" for purchasing outdoor gear.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers for the replies!

it's got me thinking about all sorts! ;)

i should be able to physically try one on in a local store i shall tell you what i find! ;)

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I bought this bag on impulse from eBay last month for £45.
I have not had the opportunity to field test it with a working load yet.
The bag seems to be very well built with top grade materials as is most of Arktis's kit.
The contoured shoulder straps are padded and feel comfortable.
The waist belt is unpadded but this can aid the mounting of pouches.
It also has no side compression straps.
The removable lid has 4 loops to fit the utility straps of a foam mat.
The internal rigid foam back support sits in a sleeve and can be removed.
The top of the main compartment does not have a draw chord, only the snow collar.
The removable lid can be extended upward.
The shoulder tensioning straps are attached directly to the lid.
Apart from the lid and plce pouch zips the bag has no other out side attachment points.
The main closing straps run from the lid directly to the bags base, I would prefer them to be sewn to the front of the bag as well.
For £45 I think the bag is good value for the materials used and construction but do not expect all the bells and whistles of a higher specification bag such as the Sabre 45 which in my opinion cannot be beaten for comfort and strength.
Happy trails...Torc.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers for that! :You_Rock_

i went to a local shop today and to my surprise there were 3 different versions aparently identical apart from the colour, each had the Arktis stitched logo and badge:confused:

a British DPM version which seemed to be really good qualityand made of material simular to PLCE fabric,
(and is the same as dicribed before as torc said, apretty good quality sack).

the next was French woodland camo version, not as good quality with no internal frame, the fabric was not as good, sort of rough to the touch, no where near as stiff as PLCE gear.

the last (and there may have been more)
was an Olive green version, which instantly i was drawn to, the features were identical except the frame/padding is not removeable, which is a shame(i would use it as a sleep mat).

comfort wise it's pretty good, but i think it may not be so good if fully loaded up as the waist belt is not padded.
the main compartment is big, easily as big as my snugpack rocket(med), 2 sleeping bags would fit in easily.

so all in all pretty good....

now the bad stuff, aparently the shop could not find any side pouches to fit any of the versions.
PLCE will not fit, Snugpack will not fit.
so it is not compatible with PLCE :( , , also try as i might i could not figure out the problem where is the third side pouch is ment to supposedly fit?.(as suggested in several adverts).
(one fixed each side leaves no attatchment points, apart from the roll mat straps on the lid top! :confused:

in my opinion (since seeing one close up) i feel it's a large day sack trying to be a rucksack but not quite up to it.

i think it's a great sack, used as a day sack, prehaps a weekend use but you simply won't be able to carry more than a day or twos kit comfortably. :)
i would be even more concerned about the french camo version simply because it didn't feel as strong!

pinty

Mar 24, 2006
London
Marts said:
No experience of the Arktis I'm afraid, but I do have the rocketpack and have found it slightly too small for longer trips, especially with food in tow.
I am currently considering getting the Snugpak bergen - This is a 70l central rucksack, which I assume I can transfer the rocketpak side pockets onto. This would give me about 100l as opposed to the current 70l. It also seems to be alot cheaper that the Karrimor versions.

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=169_171_173&products_id=1447

@Marts - i really should warn you away from the snugpak bergen, i bought one and had to return it. it is lightweight, but the material is flimsy. you can hold a section of it in your hands and pull, stretches like lycra. the waist belt is useless, i don't think it was ever intended to actually be used, since the ruck is designed to fit over webbing. the side pouches are PLCE compatible, in that the zips are in the right places, but the snugpak pouches are actually shorter than the PLCE side pouches. this means that while you could use your snugpak pouches on a PLCE bergan, if you tried to use PLCE pouches on the snugpak bergan, they would be too tall, and it wouldn't really work.

while snugpak make great softie jackets, i think you'd be better off getting an ex-issue bergan in dpm/olive, they're tough and cheap at £15-£35.

as for arktis, i've heard that their kit is made in the same factories which produce webtex, just with a different label sewn on. highlander make good cheap daysacks.

pinty

Reactions: Marts

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Hi Rappelby,
I forgot to mention my Arktis is olive green.
The sleeve for the back frame has a fabric flap on top closed by velcro.
The bag is well made as is your example and also can take my 2 Karrimor plce side bags with out a problem.
I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that the sack will fit a third side pouch, but i can not see where this bag will fit though.
I don't think an unpadded waist belt will be much of a problem either with the weights you will expect to carry in such a small sack.
The possible reason for the perceived flimsiness of the french pack could be due to a different camo. fabric supplied by a different textile manufacturer. Not many textile manufacturers produce a very diverse selection of camo's and then some of these patterns could be copyrighted with the right to manufacture granted out by various MoDs through licences, decreasing again the chances of the fabrics originating from the same mill.

Happy trails again.....Torc.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
pinty said:
@Marts - i really should warn you away from the snugpak bergen, i bought one and had to return it. it is lightweight, but the material is flimsy. you can hold a section of it in your hands and pull, stretches like lycra. the waist belt is useless, i don't think it was ever intended to actually be used, since the ruck is designed to fit over webbing. the side pouches are PLCE compatible, in that the zips are in the right places, but the snugpak pouches are actually shorter than the PLCE side pouches. this means that while you could use your snugpak pouches on a PLCE bergan, if you tried to use PLCE pouches on the snugpak bergan, they would be too tall, and it wouldn't really work.

while snugpak make great softie jackets, i think you'd be better off getting an ex-issue bergan in dpm/olive, they're tough and cheap at £15-£35.

as for arktis, i've heard that their kit is made in the same factories which produce webtex, just with a different label sewn on. highlander make good cheap daysacks.

pinty

Thank you Pinty. Always good to get a POV from someone who's tried one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE