Mystery Item

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This from my friend in Canada:

' Its a quilters border hoop, you see them a lot over here in NS where everyone and their grandmother quilts'

Do you think you could link to one in use please ?
I've been quilting for over forty years and I've never seen one like that. Now I'm intrigued :)
The ones I do know of are like this, and tension like an ordinary hoop.
http://www.quiltenhobby.nl/Quilters-Hoop-Half-border-hoop-500x250-mm/en
or like this and the close fitting hoops tensions the quilting.
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/zui-shop/item/551123/

M

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Hi Mary your first link appears to be carrying some sort of viral threat in the guys of a popup add from sunshine cardigans my antiviral software blocked it, just sayin
(no G)

starsailor

feisty celt
Toddy, Not sure of a link; I've been quilting 20 odd years and not seen one like this, if it is a quilting hoop. For £2 I'll take a chance on it - if it's not a hoop, it might open up a whole new pastime - not that I need another one lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Mary your first link appears to be carrying some sort of viral threat in the guys of a popup add from sunshine cardigans my antiviral software blocked it, just sayin
(no G)

I have no idea why :dunno: It comes up clean on mine (but I'm using an Apple Mac Mini)
It's just a quilting shop's link.

If it's a problem for folks though, I'll delete the link.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy, Not sure of a link; I've been quilting 20 odd years and not seen one like this, if it is a quilting hoop. For £2 I'll take a chance on it - if it's not a hoop, it might open up a whole new pastime - not that I need another one lol

True enough :D If nowt else it'll be an interesting conundrum. Maybe your Canadian friend knows more ?
I just can't see now the metal strap bits work to tension it :dunno: bends and then straightens out like a springy thing, maybe ?

M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just heard back from my sister who's a professional quilter and owns a quilting shop (you'd love it there Mary, she suffers badly from way too much nice material and not enough space or time to use it syndrome :D )

Her verdict of it is 'Hmm... well it's definitely not a quilt hoop... Wooden rings too thick, too far apart, and metal bits inbetween would get in the way. but what it actually is, I am afraid I am of no help whatsoever.'

I'm intrigued by what the separate bit of metal is and how it might fit on to the rest of the frame.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I'm going to say it's some kind of half circle wall wardrobe or it could be the top of a wall mounted drape of some kind. The middle hook and wheel in the middle stops it from being a fold out device.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
It does look familiar, I am not quite sure, I am thinking vintage static caravan, cupboard door bin, there would have been a metal lid that lifted automatically as the cupboard door was opened via a nylon cord which ran round the edge between the two pieces of wood & a counter weight closed the cupboard door automatically the hook sort of flopped down & held the door open until lifted slightly & the door would swing closed & the lid would swing shut as if by magic.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Queried the local font of infinite wisdom and dropped it off at the residential home this morning, just had text through and the ladies say it is definitely not a quilting hoop. The men with sheds however say it could become a quilting hoop. They're still arguing about it now.

Suppose the real question now is, whatever it was what can it become?

PS:
Starsailor if you still want it PM me your address. If not then no worries it will end up in my Arts & Craft pile awaiting inspiration.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
My wild guess would be some sort of head gear hanger/holder. Save your poke bonnets brims from being crushed.

starsailor

feisty celt
Mystery object has arrived, and I'm none the wiser lol

There are no moving parts on it, and I've not been able to work out what the separate shaped piece of metal is; there are no maker's marks to give any clues either. Nicely made thing, though.

Won't be beaten, though, I'll find out what it is eventually.

Big thankyou to Bishop for his time and effort :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The separate piece of metal bolts on to the hoop at the centre, no?
There is a paler section on the wood that looks like it would fit the size of the metal.
Could you attach it and take some more pictures?
Does the squared off bend look like it's big enough to fit over a door frame or a cupboard door? Does the vertical parts of that bent hoop (when attached) line up with the inset horizontal or the outer parts of the horizontal (ie would there be a board sat in the inset that the hook sits on or not)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE