Ultralight Water 'Bottles'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Just when you thought there was no way to shave a few more grams off your kit weight along comes a group of boffins from London with the "Ooho". A bite size edible gel capsule filled with water, just pop it in your mouth and chew. According to press reports slated for release sometime this year. I had to double check the calender just to make sure it wasn't an April Fool, but it looks legit...

http://www.skippingrockslab.com/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4401730/Water-bottle-wobbles-like-bubble-sale.html

Whilst not immediately a lot of use to bushcrafters & survivalists it's an advance in packaging with some potential, besides hip flasks are heavy :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Certainly different but if useful at all it would be very limited.

You cant re-fill it. I cant see it lasting long before going pop in my back pack. Looks like a choke hazard to!

I can see them popping up in clubs but filled with booze instead.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
There are so many un-answered questions like how do you deal with the hygene issues, how do you personally transport them without basically having a water bottle to carry them in? Why make them round when square would transport more efficiently? The whole idea just seem wrong.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
The edible gel capsule probably has a thirst inducing ingredient..." You'll definitely need more than one pack sir, and water bottles are sooo last year. Cash or card sir?".....

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The hygiene aspect would worry me too, but I can see it being developed into a useable product.

Plastic water bottles are generally way thicker than they need to be, wasting a lot of material, so maybe something of a compromise will emerge.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Don't chef's at posh restaurants do this already?

Called spherification

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
aplle.jpg

84 percent water.... ?

Edit//////

Apparently these work well for an alcoholic version - although larger and heavier.....

watermelon_PNG236.png

Last edited:

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
The first thought I had was if it's biodegradable, it'll surely have a shortish shelf life.

Then I noticed a few lines down that the marketers put a spin on it stating that it's "fresh (shelf life of a few days)".
:eek:

I can't help thinking that whomever created this took their inspiration from biting into a paintball...

I'll stick with tomatoes. Dinky cherry tomatoes worked really well for me during long distance hikes. More refreshing than water, carb boost, tastier, too. Can also be used in cooking...
;)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I think the hygiene point will be the main one as anything you are putting into your mouth needs to be kept sealed before sale/use I.e in a plastic wrapper.
Seeing as their usp seems to be the removal of packaging waste I don't really see how they plan on it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's a solution to the problem of general waste from people buying single-use bottles of water.

This is very true, and one of their goals is to reduce the quantity of plastic in the oceans. But, I've been using the same bottle to water the dogs after a walk for about 6 years. Anyone can wash out a container and refill it.

Booze, not a bad idea, water carried in a pack, bad idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE