Safest places to live post apocalypse ......... Just a bit of fun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nicksteele1990

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2016
Cheshire
Well, Stanlow is only a few minutes drive from here, so home's a non-starter. I'd say Anglesey is a good choice, but RAF Valley's got to have a few kilotons pointed at it. I reckon Land's end is a good spot, or the South end of the Llyn peninsula.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Shelter is useless without bulk food and clean water.
Drying and smoking are deadly serious skills.
Can you defend your hearth? Made a hidden midden?

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
I have family down in Cornwall on a farm surrounded by boggy moorland. One track entry, it's own water supply, a wind turbine for leccy, granite construction buildings, wood, livestock, bees and veg. Remote enough to be far from the main hit or large populations if we're talking zombies rather than nukes :p

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have family down in Cornwall on a farm surrounded by boggy moorland. One track entry, it's own water supply, a wind turbine for leccy, granite construction buildings, wood, livestock, bees and veg. Remote enough to be far from the main hit or large populations if we're talking zombies rather than nukes :p

All round to yours then? :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Cornwall, yes, as no one will notice.

Have any of you seen Newquay in winter?

(To be fair; not all Cornwall is like that, its pretty busy in winter too.)

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I once got a tour of the nuclear bunkers inder the Shropsire county halls. Where the Civil Emergency Planning Oficer and staff would go, to try and coordinate any efforts.
I did ask if we had one at the other site in Telford. I was told no, that parish is nuclear free. Which was odd given that the bigest military depot in Europe is smack bang in the centre! I'm sure incoming the nukes would just back off in fear of offending someone.
(I do recall seeing something in our local paper, in the early 80's, of a guy who applied for permission to put in a bunker in his garden. The council refused, so he put in a 'septic tank'. And the arguments went on. Never did see what the outcome was.)

Not sure I'd want to be anywhere in the UK after an 'oops, what did that button do' moment. A quick zip over to mainland europe would be a better first step, more space, less people, more directions to run. Failing that, the Hebrides may be the best bet. Loaded with as much tradable stuff as possible.
Now that seems like another thread! What would be most tradeable?

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......(I do recall seeing something in our local paper, in the early 80's, of a guy who applied for permission to put in a bunker in his garden. The council refused, so he put in a 'septic tank'. And the arguments went on. Never did see what the outcome was.)....

Asking the Council for permission means he also let them know he had one and where it was. Defeats half the purpose in and of itself.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
fishing trawler in the north sea? Oil rig , surely they'll have enough supplies for a while - supply boat that hangs around them on guard duty?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
fishing trawler in the north sea? Oil rig , surely they'll have enough supplies for a while - supply boat that hangs around them on guard duty?

Any really large ship.
Tons of oil on board. Food supplies for a crew for weeks and plenty of carrying capacity to take on more. Set up greenhouses on deck.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Any really large ship.
Tons of oil on board. Food supplies for a crew for weeks and plenty of carrying capacity to take on more. Set up greenhouses on deck.

With what?

Also I'm guessing a Big ship takes some time and skill/experience to know how to maintain/pilot it.

( all comments for playful fun! )

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Submarine. One of the British nuclear subs can stay underwater for 25 years at a time, only needed to surface for a service every quarter of a century. It makes fresh water and oxygen from the sea water.
Food depending of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
With what?

Also I'm guessing a Big ship takes some time and skill/experience to know how to maintain/pilot it.

( all comments for playful fun! )
Anchor up in somewhere like the humber or on sandbanks just offshore.

Greenhouses can be built from plastic sheeting.
Soil can be loaded from land using a barge - put a digger on a barge and dig out some soil. Bring back on board.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For years, big freighters can't cope with boatloads of Somali pirates and their endless supply of AK47's.
Prepared to pay and feed your crew of mercinaries with enough ammo for the .50 cal's it will take for defense?

Stay on land. Find the geography which provides some natural defensive aid. You will need all of it.

Chrisp955

Aug 7, 2017
Runcorn
How about Jura 140 square miles 200 peaple 7000 red deer. Plenty of fresh water and only one house on the west cost. And a whisky distillery.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Not sure I'd want to be anywhere in the UK after an 'oops, what did that button do' moment. A quick zip over to mainland europe would be a better first step, more space, less people, more directions to run. Failing that, the Hebrides may be the best bet. Loaded with as much tradable stuff as possible.
Now that seems like another thread! What would be most tradeable?

That depends - if you survived the shock and blast waves the chances are that most of the contaminated airborne material (fallout) at least at low level, would be blown over towards Europe as our prevailing winds are westerly, where it would linger and fall to Earth due to their usually stationary high pressure weather. (Cornwall might not be as funny an idea as it seems).

Plus - you would be unlikely to get into Europe as the French, Belgians and Dutch would suddenly find that they are capable of really effective boarder control afterall! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE