Gudvangen Viking Market 2017, Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Just back from another year at the Gudvangen viking market in Norway. Though this year had a bit of a twist; since last year, they have built an entire viking village where the market normally is. So this year, the market was interspersed throughout the village with a little overspill which really changed the dynamics of the market, both for us traders and the public/tourists.

As usual i spent a few days helping out on my friends farm, and also had time to make myself another table to go with the new tent i got for this year as my previous tent just wasn't up to scratch. It's not easy setting up a full iron age stall when you have to take pretty much everything over on a plane, a lot of good kit gets left behind due to it's weight so im lucky i can make and store furniture at my friends at least :)

Some shots of the village

The Half-Goat stall

nice backdrop to my tent

Teaching leather tankard workshops

nice chilled evenings in the tent

multi national storytelling. I usually step in as the Scot with a bit of Doric :)

Some firesteel pouches I made based on a 6th century saxon find. the firesteels have a buckle rivetted on to keep the steel attached to the pouch so it can't get lost. Sadly i only snapped this pic before i sold them all so i need to make some more and photograph them properly!

The Loki Run. A bit of harmful fun. volunteers are called for, usually young lads. rope is tied to a log, and the other end to the volunteers ahem...shall we say tinder pouches?... Not a race I particularly fancied running! especially after seeing them all limping the next day. But hillarious to watch ;)

The best thing about these kinds of markets is meeting and making new friends. I met Engebret the hunter one evening and we got to chatting about skins. He had a pine marten he had trapped and tanned, and turns out he had been looking for a new wallet. Always keen for a barter we both ended up happy, and his wife took this picture of our trade which was a lovely sentiment.

As usual there were so many magic moments that just never get caught on camera, as it's more fun to just be in the moment. Met some truly amazing people this year as always, made some good trades and treated myself and the missus to a few precious things. As always it goes too fast, and i'm already thinking ahead to next year :)

Thanks for reading. Hamish

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Brilliant read and stunning photos. Truly a magical place to hold a market. Did you supply all the equipment other than tools? tent, fire pit, tables etc? or was that provided by the collective?
The Loki run looks great fun. Think we will try something like that at the next hippy gathering. To make it fair, we will insist everyone uses a full litre bottle if soya milk instead of a log. Knowing our lot, some would be soaking their competitors logs in the river overnight, while their own log spent the night on top of the woodburner. Fairs fair in alive and war.

Long may your adventures widen.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Wonderful to see someone living their dream especially in such stunning surroundings, though that Loki run is the stuff of nightmares - surely more modern methods of contraception are available! ;)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Really good account Hamish; the photos are stunning but I'm willing to bet, nowhere near do the location justice.
I just might have to look into giving this place a visit or stay in the future! Looks like my kind of 'meditation'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Wonderful thread and beautiful photos! The ambiance in these markets is always amazing.

I hadn't heard of the Loki run before, so that had me giggling and shaking my head at the same time. I've only heard of the "Loke drag/Loki pull" before, which must be quite entertaining to witness 😁 Loki sure loves his pouches.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Brilliant read and stunning photos. Truly a magical place to hold a market. Did you supply all the equipment other than tools? tent, fire pit, tables etc? or was that provided by the collective?
The Loki run looks great fun. Think we will try something like that at the next hippy gathering. To make it fair, we will insist everyone uses a full litre bottle if soya milk instead of a log. Knowing our lot, some would be soaking their competitors logs in the river overnight, while their own log spent the night on top of the woodburner. Fairs fair in alive and war.

Long may your adventures widen.

Thanks. Nah you have to prodive everything yourself. I take a 120 litre bergen on my back, a gigantic suitcase on wheels, and then my missus (or assistant if i bring someone else) has to pretty much do the same. I make all my big chunky furniture and tent frames on my friends farm and he drives those big parts over to the market for me as its only a 20 minute drive. It's a hell of a lot of stuff to organise, I'm always jealous of the locals who can just fill a van with everything they want/need

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
That looks like a great venue again, I did prefer the other years pics, all the scenery is stunning though, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Too awesome mate, the green eyed monster within is furious with me that i never got my crap together and went, looks best one yet, really laughed my nuts off watching the video of the Loki race with the chocks of wood suspending from the bawsacks hahahahahaha made my day watching that as i was totally suffering some health crap at the time and was proper down in spirits

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Has the thread recycling thingamebob been speeded up? Seems much quicker that threads disappear lately from the 'What's new' areas of the menus, i had to go digging for this one in my previous posts area of the menu

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Wonderful post and photos, thanks for sharing.

And what a fantastic location and backdrop, I am envious. Your work is outstanding but you already know that :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Fantastic pics as always, and great to see what you do. It looks a truely magical place and you deserve every success.👍🐐

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE