Rough Close Meet ~ 08 - 10 September '17

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Meet date:

Friday 08 to Sunday 10 September 2017.

Arrival time on the Friday is 15:00 onwards (so after 3PM).

There is an event being held on the site over the weekend and we may hear their music in the evenings. They'll turn the music down at a reasonably reasonable time. Because of the event we have permission to keep our cars/vehicles in the parking bay (Usual policy is 2 vehicles per group).

As per usual, the location is Rough Close Campsite.

In case the site's website goes down, the address and grid reference is:

City of Coventry Scout County
Rough Close Scout Campsite
Tanners Lane
Berkswell
CV7 7DD

On Ordinance Survey maps: Grid Ref: SP264779 (Site Access) SP266786 (Site Centre)

The site's directions (and therefore the distance) for travelling to and from Tile Hill Railway Station relate to the site's main entrance ~ LINK

FEES: £4.60 ~ please pay on arrival or soon after. Please note that, although I don't actively chase people for their fees, paying on Sunday often means that I have to make multiple trips back to the site in order to pay our dues.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE SUNDAY TO PAY YOUR FEES!

Entrance road / track:

A good amount of time, effort, and money has gone towards improving the site's drive. Please respect the 5 MPH speed limit, it will help preserve the driveway.

Link to the site's Booking T&C's ~ finding the info is a bit here and there and, in some cases, almost contradictory. If in doubt, go with the more strict/restricting option! ;)

Facilities:

Toilet / Shower Facilities:

The toilet facilities at the end of the Norton Cabin and the Main Toilet Block in the Camp Centre are for the use of any site user ~ shower facilities, should you require them, are available at both. There are toilet blocks at the top end of the site but they _might_ be drained down and closed for the winter season.

Water:

Water is available from the tap on the side on the building closest to the pitch.

Refuse:

We don't make use of a communal bin. There is a big reddy-orange* bin adjacent to the gate in the Campers Car Park and it's there for site users to make use of.

* Well, reddy-orange with algeal green streaks :eek:

Parking:

Please see the 'Helpful Info' section below.

Communal Area Wood Supply:

A bit of nattering behind the scenes ... There is wood on site at the moment, we just need to fetch and process it. One/two/a few have questioned having a supply of wood brought in from outside and feel that it is close to being a tax on sitting in the communal area. To this end I am going to suggest that folks attending either bring in a supply of good, burnable, wood themselves or are willing to find, fetch and process the stuff already on site. And the site politely asks that we don't burn quantities of heavily processed wood ~ there is some leeway, but it is better that we err on the cautious and respectful side than push our luck ;) . (We are aware that some may not be able to bring a supply. Some may not be capable of fetching and/or processing. Some might not be able to bring and also be unable to fetch and/or process. Don't worry or stress, you're still welcome ... we'll just make you the tea monkey ;) )

Moving around the site in the dark hours:

Due to the nature of the site it is quite dark at night ~ and as I'm yet to meet someone who can faultlessly move around PC11 without a torch/flashlight having one on you BEFORE dusk begins to break could almost be considered essential! . To this end torches/flash-lights will be in evidence by both those attending the Meet and also by other site users.

Edits:

Future edits in this post will be highlighted in red and italicised.

Site Map:
Pitch PC11 and various facilities are marked in the pic below. The Blue line marks the approximate route of the main track which leads to the main access point to the pitch.

I'm leaving both RED (for Leader Training) and BLUE (for PC11) routes on for both ease and for reference ;) .

6195785565_1f62d5015d_z.jpg

Helpful info:

This might seem to make our Meets seem to be overly regulated. Don't worry, they aren't ~ it's just our way of trying to pre-empt the very rare 'Why, If we're not allowed to, didn't it say so in the Meet thread?' excuse/reaction/comment.

The list isn't exhaustive - common sense applies. If in doubt, ask.

• Any monies given (by individuals, groups, families etc) which is above the camping fees will be automatically considered to be a donation to Rough Close Campsite to aid with site maintenance, site regeneration etc.
  • Forum members are responsible for themselves*, the kit they use and their own actions (and any non member accompanying them) at the Meet.* This includes meals and cooking. It is up to each registered member to make sure that they have enough suitable food for their stay and and also for planning/arranging for any replenishment if/as need be.
  • If you drop the proviso between 'Meet List' and the list it will be understood that you have read, understood, and purposely removed it to save time/space/effort in your posting.
  • Under 18's must be accompanied by at least one parent or legal guardian.
  • You brought it in, you take it out – camping fees do not include a rubbish collection fee ~ The site's bin is the big orange/red thing in the Camper’s Car Park (Labelled 'Bin' in the the pic above this section).
  • When visiting others, do not leave your rubbish in their pitch (or in a communal area) ~ take it with you and dispose of it yourself.
  • Please refrain from burning rubbish on a fire which is being used to cook on.
  • There is no communal bin in the Communal Area.
  • Responsible drinking of alcohol is okay – drugs are prohibited! Please do not walk through another group's pitch whilst drinking alcohol and/or smoking.
  • Please keep ‘colourful language’ reasonable and to a reasonable volume ~ please take into account that other site users do not wish to have to explain to their charge(s) just why certain new words shouldn't be repeated!
  • After unloading*, vehicles need to be parked up in the Campers Car Park. * Unloading ~ not unloading, setting up, having a natter and then discovering that you're now blocked in ;)
  • Wood fires must be raised and contained. Periodically there is a shortage of wood available to burn - if you want to cook on an open fire, bring a supply of wood or charcoal.
  • Due to changes in site policy, we cannot cut down standing dead wood. The same goes for green wood ~ damaged or not.
  • It would be wise to be carrying a torch before it gets dark! It could also be provident to put markers on your shelter so you can find it in the dark.
  • In the highly unlikely event that I need to make use of this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet. Any individual(s) who I feel endanger our future use of the site will be required to leave the site; outstanding fees will still be owed.
  • Noise levels after 22:00 need to be respectful of other campers desire to sleep at socially accepted hours.
  • Noise levels before 07:30 need to be respectful of other campers desire to have a bit of a lie in.
  • Chopping (or cracking/snapping etc) wood at 'silly o'clock' is not acceptable. Please make sure that you prepare wood for the start of the next day well before dusk ~ and if you can't be sure, bring an alternative method of heating water/cooking. In the event that you injure (cut, bash, squash) yourself processing wood it is expected that you will have a first aid kit / supplies suitable to treat the wound.
  • Reading the info above the site map is a good idea
    winking0011.gif
  • The site is in the process of reintroducing old drainage ditches on site ~ use of eyes, torch(es) and common sense should avoid any unnecessary incident(s).

The 'Touchy Subject' bit
:

Because the site is, first and foremost, a Scout Camp Site, we cannot accommodate those who might, purposely or otherwise, do harm to others. If anyone is knowingly under investigation, or has had an allegation made against them and is awaiting investigation, and that the outcome of the investigation could mean that you could be found unfit to adopt or foster a child then you cannot come along.

Expected and appropriate behaviour:

Meets, in general, are very good natured, self regulating, events.

In the event that one or more attendees are found to be causing concern to others they may be required to leave the site immediately. Anyone found to be overly aggresive, excessively unruly, or are otherwise hostile to any site user in any form may be required to leave the site immediately. In the event that an issue is caused by a minor then the parent or loco parentis will be required to take them home. In the event that an issue is caused by a guest the member who issued their invite may also be required to leave.

In the event that a member or a guest has a known mental disability which might affect behaviour let us know and, where we can, we will adapt and make allowances. In the event that we don't know that someone has behavioural issues (potential or otherwise) and attendees are found to have been put at risk, the member, inviting member and/or their guest will be asked to leave with immediate effect.

If you see, experience or suspect something amiss, please speak out ~ we cannot help if we don't know.

It's fine if you want to:

• be on your own
  • lay on your back looking at the sky, clouds, birds flying over etc
  • whittle
  • practice 'stuff' - except tree felling; the site has strong opinions about that :lmao:
  • practice flora and fauna ID
  • so on and so forth ...

This is, in no way, a bushcraft course and it's for you to make of it what you will.

Copy and paste yada yada ...

Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet ... and include this line in the paste.

01. decorum
... (Extend as needed)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet ... and include this line in the paste.

01. decorum
... (Extend as needed)

Sep 3, 2009
NUNEATON
Meet List:

01. decorum
02.Woodland Scout 08/10 September
... (Extend as needed)
'700 miles is neither necessary nor sufficient'
Is this sausage dead yet?
Schroedinger's Scat ~ Whether you open the box or not, poop's gonna happen!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm putting my name down as TBC as I've not got leave booked yet and the current wife hasn't said she's got any plans either but I ought to be ok, :)

Meet List:

01. decorum
03. Mesquite - Friday - Sunday TBC
... (Extend as needed)

Jan 16, 2016
Meet List:

01. decorum
03. Mesquite - Friday - Sunday TBC
04. Rumpole Stiltskin - TBC Work
... (Extend as needed)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hmmm ... with just one plus two TBC's this Meet is in danger of being cancelled :yikes: :(

I am rapidly approaching the belief that the days of Meets, in general, are numbered.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hmmm ... with just one plus two TBC's this Meet is in danger of being cancelled :yikes: :(

I am rapidly approaching the belief that the days of Meets, in general, are numbered.

Oppss, sorry Phil. I forgot to amend my status to say I'm going to be there.

Meet List:

01. decorum
03. Mesquite - Friday - Sunday
... (Extend as needed)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Oppss, sorry Phil. I forgot to amend my status to say I'm going to be there.

No worries Steve ~ it was more a case of me pointing out to the general populous that setting aside a weekend can be a difficult decision when can numbers are regularly so low.

But, as I say, with the general disinterest in the various regular Meets ... perhaps the days of Meets are numbered ~ Why bother setting them up and offering them out if there's currently so little interest?

Disclaimer: I get that real life happens and gets in the way of intentions and plans ... it's no different for those of us who offer up the Meets* :D :pokenest: :mosquitos:

* or have done so in the past.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Meet List:

01. decorum
05. BJJJ Friday - Sunday
... (Extend as needed)

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Meet List:

01. decorum
05. BJJJ Friday - Sunday
06 Twodog Sat maybe more
... (Extend as needed)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm yet to miss a meet but always put tbc because if something urgent comes in I have to stay.

My apologies if it sounded like I was having a go at TBC'ing :eek:

Real life happens and it does so at the most awkward of times ~ it's happened to me* for Meet's I've fronted ;) :eek: . I'm not overly concerned that people TBC, I'm more concerned about the ongoing low numbers and whether we're approaching a watershed of when it's worth setting a Meet up and when to pull the plug due to lack of interest.

My honest thoughts on the use of TBC is 'why bother?'. A Meet list is a statement of interest, nothing more. Just mention that you're interested but that you need to check and will confirm *later* and stick your name on the list. Confirm if and as you can. If real life chucks you a spanner just post as such and remove your name from the Meet list ;) . Not coming along if you've put your name down is not considered a High Crime against Meets nor the forum ... nor is genuinely forgetting all about it or getting the weekend wrong ;) :rofl:

* I set up a Meet some years ago, checking dates with SWMBO well in advance and everything ... two weekends ahead of the Meet she remembered that she'd made arrangements for the Meet weekend but hadn't put it in her diary but had mentioned it to me the year before :rolleyes: . So I'm painfully aware of occasional, incoming, curve ball ;) . I've also had a Meet I had to leave due to becoming (non alcohol related) ill and ones where I could only be on site during the day time :eek: :( . Like I say, I know that real life happens :yikes:

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Meet List:

01. decorum
05. BJJJ Friday - Sunday
06 Twodog Sat maybe more
07. Dasy2k1
... (Extend as needed)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hope to see you there Pete :D

Edits:

Future edits in this post will be highlighted in red and italicised.

In light of recent happenings, editing of information pertinent to the Meet into post #01 is no longer going to be possible.

I shall have a think and a thunk on it, but it's probable that I'll just make important info posts a bit more visually obvious and thus easier to find.

Hi Decorum, long time no see!

I'd love to come down to a Rough Close meet some time, but won't make it to this one, unfortunately.

One thing I can't find mention of, is whether or not dogs are allowed. Si and I have a rescue dog who cannot be kennelled or left with someone else overnight, so if we want to go to a meet together, pooch has to come too. She's very well-behaved, happy to be on a lead all the time, and doesn't steal/scrounge for food like Basil did. Would she be allowed to come, please?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE