military surplus for skiing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 8, 2017
australia
Hi all,
During December-January, I will be skiing in Austria, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for surplus clothing that is suitable for skiing, i.e some water resistance and insulation

Cheers

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I've never bought army surplus gear for skiing, but I will say my experience of both piste skiing and cross country skiing is have some durable waterproof insulated salopettes or trousers that stops the snow getting in when you fall over. I have a pair of olive green ones (not MOD). Then a few thinner zip up layers on top, as I find I get so warm whilst skiing that I can go down to just a t-shirt and waterproof shell, but once I stop, or I'm on the chair lifts, it gets absolutely freezing again.
For gloves my personal preference is having a thin layer of Odlo gloves, so you can fish in your pockets easier for your hankerchief when your nose runs from the cold (Though these gloves do actually have a nose wiping bit on the gloves themselves if you want to grub your gloves up.) and your hands don't get too sweaty whilst in motion, then some mittens over the top for the chair lift to keep your hands warm.
Another useful consideration is ski jackets have a pocket on your forearm to put in the ski pass for the lifts. This means you can just wave your arm at the barrier and go through. Without the sleeve pocket, you're just giving yourself hassle taking off your mittens and fishing in your other pocket for it.

Socks wise. I've tried all kinds of socks and layering up. But when I'm standing in the busy chair lift queue. They turn to ice regardless. I'd also recommend a roll of adhesive bandage tape to stick over all your foot chafes and blisters. It seems to stay on better than anything else in that hot - cold sweat from your feet the next day.

My friends who are ski intructors and much more experienced off piste skiers than me also always recommend wearing a helmet, regardless of where you are. A beginner has the potential to kill themselves from a head injury on the nursey slope if they fall wrong.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have used a buffalo smock for skiiing and found it great. I imagine the current issue 'thermal smock' would be similarly useful, but be aware that it won't keep you terribly warm if you are static.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
look on Amerzon. I found a brand new ski jacket on there for just over £12.
It can be hit and miss finding these deals but keep looking and you could find a deal as well

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Decathalon are good for skiing kit at reasonable prices.

For surplus kit i would recommend socks, perhaps the new fleece norgie and maybe the thermals if your tight on budget. Otherwise buy good purpose made gear.

A pair of good insoles will save a lot of discomfort.

Good kit to bring with be a buffalo shirt if you have one and a few years ago i brought a softie sasquatch for cutting about in. Toasty. It was a mix of downhill and cross country we were doing, for the cross country part a good thermos was essential for a hot drink. I took a reasonably cheap glass one and it worked very well but they can be a bit fragile.

Cotswold outdoors do excellent wool beanies, only £15 and the best i've ever had;

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/united-by-blue-ragg-wool-beanie-a3120162?id_colour=110

If you can source a lowe alpine hat they're very good and are what the new issue cold weather hats are based on.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Other places to try apart from the above are TK Maxx, the regular specials at Lidl/Aldi, plus Go Outdoors. Aldi ski gloves are really decent anyway, and for the money you cant go wrong. Look at Ellis Brigham as well - they have regular sales and have a big ski section.

Hikers dont bother with surplus, and I bet that goes even more for skiers. Frankly, places like Decathelon etc are so cheap your going to get much better value for the same money anyway, even discounting all the other downsides.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I spent 5 winters in Norway with the Army...we did the cross country skiing / Telemark.
What we wore:
Underwear
HH Lifa Thermal leggings and mid-weight HH Lifa top.
Two pairs of ECW issue socks

Issue OG Lightweight Trousers
Arctic Windproof Smock

Thin inner meraklon / Merino
gloves
Outer thermal Mittens / Dachstein Mittens
Wooly Hat / ECW Hat / Lowa Mountain Cap
Alico Nordic Ski Boots/Lundhags
Yeti Extreme Gaiters

Daysack
Flask
Norgy Shirt
Softie Jacket
Arctic Issue waterproofs
Camo Whites

Army planks & poles
210s for men / 190s for skillful skiing :D

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You shouldn't where waterproof clothing for X-Country skiing...you can get very hot and sweaty...that sweat will condensate on the inside of waterproof jackets and pants which can then freeze!
Only time we wore the waterproof gear was for digging snowholes and other forms of shelter and the windproof would go in the Daysack.
Down Hill (Alpine) skiing on the other hand is less energetic therefore you can get away with wearing fancy salopettes and Jackets which are water resistant and warmer for those long pommel & T-bar rides up the slopes....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I havent skiied since the last ice age but if I had the opportunity to go again, I would take my army surplus thermal undies.

And a good woollen jumper

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

The OP lives in Oz - probably posted then went walkabout and is doing some real bush-crafting - it's a big country! :lmao:

Original post gives limited info so we can only guess but either Tele or downhill there's been some good info on here for him.

If he's going in Dec - Jan - and to Austria - it's probably holiday type skiing (downhill). (Just a guess mind).

As he specifically asked for military surplus clothing advice, although I too had a couple of hols up around the Arctic Circle courtesy of HM and rate some Brit issue kit, I would suggest that he looks at French, German and particularly Austrian Alpine forces military clothing/equipment.
If he's in country for long enough, a trip to the Austrian military surplus shops in Vienna could prove useful.

PS - British military apres ski wear - Sweatshirt, jeans, desert boots - sorted. :)

Juha

May 27, 2017
Northern Finland
I spent 5 winters in Norway with the Army...we did the cross country skiing / Telemark.
What we wore:
Underwear
HH Lifa Thermal leggings and mid-weight HH Lifa top.
Two pairs of ECW issue socks

Issue OG Lightweight Trousers
Arctic Windproof Smock

Thin inner meraklon / Merino
gloves
Outer thermal Mittens / Dachstein Mittens
Wooly Hat / ECW Hat / Lowa Mountain Cap
Alico Nordic Ski Boots/Lundhags
Yeti Extreme Gaiters

Daysack
Flask
Norgy Shirt
Softie Jacket
Arctic Issue waterproofs
Camo Whites

Army planks & poles
210s for men / 190s for skillful skiing :D

Hope that helps

Have to ask, were you satisfied with your Alico boots? I did purchase those as surplus and did find them rather good. Of course my skiis are little bit different than british army skiis.

How cold was it in Norway? I live in Finland and for me that amount of clothing does look rather warm :) Of course climate in Norway is little bit different, I guess that changes in weather are quite fast. Here we do have normal winter weather something between -5 to -30 degrees celsius

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Have to ask, were you satisfied with your Alico boots? I did purchase those as surplus and did find them rather good. Of course my skiis are little bit different than british army skiis.

How cold was it in Norway? I live in Finland and for me that amount of clothing does look rather warm :) Of course climate in Norway is little bit different, I guess that changes in weather are quite fast. Here we do have normal winter weather something between -5 to -30 degrees celsius

They ripped my feet to bits but it was a fitting issue i think, if they fit the bods well no one really complained, there where other things to complain about really.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE