Molly's gone.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I know quite a few here met Molly, my Springer Spaniel, and I have to sadly report that she had to be put to sleep this morning due to an immune system problem that came out of nowhere
and that she, at twelve yrs. old, was not going to get over even at her level of super fitness.

I gave her the best life she could have had and she loved everything and everyone she ever came across with an abundant enthusiasm and a natural exuberance which I'll miss 'till the day I die.

'Bye now Molly, a huge piece of me goes with you, you were the apple of my eye.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So sorry to hear of it Mac :sigh:
I think it's the hardest, and best, thing you can ever do for your pet; to let them go peacefully without pain, when it's time.
Takes a lot of courage and heartwringing though and never easy.
Good memories are a great kindness.

M

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
So sorry to hear this Mac, been through it a few times so I know hard it is.
I echo M's sentiments, I feel it is a privilege, as hard as it is, to be able to make that descision and ensure there is no suffering.
Remember the good times.
All the best, my thoughts are with you and yours.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dark news, my condolences for your loss.

The vet tech told me that there is a choice:

You either walk the dog into the clinic with some sense of honor and dignity
or you drag the dog in on a blanket.
You did the noble thing to take the high road.

Trotsky

In spite of what some might say I think pets are family, especially when you spend years together, so it cuts deep when you lose them. By the sounds of it you took the best course of action given the situation, you can hopefully take some solace from knowing you did right by your faithful friend. Sorry for your sudden loss.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Always sad to say goodbye to a friend and family member, as others have said, you did what she needed you to do for her, takes a lot out of you, but remember the good times.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
She had a beautiful soul im so glad you had the portrait that Fi did we still have the pics she took over at your place big hug Mac, im glad we met you both.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I've never met you nor Molly, but I offer sincere condolences for your loss.

I agree, I see dogs as family, and it hurts just as much losing a dog. There's a reason they call them mans best friend.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've lost several good dogs. Some purebred and some pure mutts. Some lost young from accidents or sudden illness (heartworms back before there was a preventative) It's never easy and it always hurts. Especially when you feel about them the way your previous posts about Molly have made obvious. My condolences to you.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thank you all for the kind comments; those who have not had animal companions will never understand the concept of bereavement at the loss of another species, and why should they? But you can always tell those that have been through this themselves.

I have been through this before with both horses and dogs and found it very hard going, the difference with this little dog was that when she came into my life I was living alone and consequently we were together every moment of every day, almost without exception, for a few weeks more than twelve years; where I went she went, and I never accepted any invitation that didn't include Molly. What I didn't forsee, though, is the huge hole this would leave; every tiny detail of my day is now changed entirely and that makes it very difficult to even begin to get used to the new order, but get used to it I must, eh?

The very kind wishes posted above will make this all a little easier, so thanks again for all the posts.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I've only just seen this thread - so sorry to hear about the loss of Molly. After 12 years together, it's just like losing a member of the family and so no surprise that the hole left is just the same. It's going to take some time to cone to terms with but the pain of parting is a reflection of the quality of the time you had together with your best friend. Take care mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE