Rucksacks that are made in the UK or Ireland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Snugpak make their stuff in Yorkshire. :)

Or vietnam, Snugpak makes a very few of it's products in the UK, but the majority not any more. Just look for the origin on the Snugpak products page (checkbox at the bottom: origin). Of those which are "made in the UK", you can be sure many are manufactured abroad and imported, then finished in the UK location or something like that. (This goes for almost any brand and any sector though, other than the real handmade cottage industry).

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Or vietnam, Snugpak makes a very few of it's products in the UK, but the majority not any more. Just look for the origin on the Snugpak products page (checkbox at the bottom: origin). Of those which are "made in the UK", you can be sure many are manufactured abroad and imported, then finished in the UK location or something like that. (This goes for almost any brand and any sector though, other than the real handmade cottage industry).

That's a shame they've outsourced lots of it to Vietnam. My kitmonster says made in UK on it.

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
Crux & Lightwave are good brands. Unsure 100% if the products are made in the UK, but the companies are based in the UK (as far as I know).

I have a Lightwave tent I've used for years. Great design, very light, flysheet touches the ground i.e. no draughts when on mountains.

Crux are quite expensive and very much geared towards climbers (think super-alpine etc). Still worth a look, though.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aguille alpine are nice company to deal with if you can get to their shop in Staveley. For a little extra you can customise. If you're taller then perhaps a longer back length. Pick your fabrics, colour , etc. I added length, changed fabrics to a lighter weight fabric on low wear panels and a few other details. Extra cost? Well they charged the cost equivalent to halfway between two standard models. One bigger, one smaller. That effectively didn't add much for the custom features. I think it carried about 60 litres but weight was almost 1kg. Stable carry and could cope with a lot of weight, which I never tested because I was trying to cut down to sub 6.5kg. My only issue was the single strip of metal that was it's frame. It was pre-bent but it dug into my spine near the base. I did use it a bit without the bar. Supposedly the bar could be modified to fit but it was seriously rigid when in tried.

Don't let my experience put you off, they're solid rucksacks IMHO and I reckon if I started with one of their better/newer rucksack models before customising I'd probably have ended up with a perfect sack for me. I went cheaper than I should have.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just looked at the prices if AA sacks. I paid £90 for mine possibly 10 years back but now I think the closest in their standard range is about £190! Big increase in price I think.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Some great packs. Really like the Cuillin rucks. Does it have a rigid frame though?

No they don't which I think is a real shame with these packs. I've had three or four 'Cuillins' over the years and they are simple and robust. The back is a fairly standard size so it's worth looking around for an old internal frame you can cut out of an old rucksack, Ive done this a few times and it improves the pack significantly. If you don't think this would be possible go for an Aiguille Alpine pack as they are the best on the market IMO.

Jul 8, 2017
USA
No they don't which I think is a real shame with these packs. I've had three or four 'Cuillins' over the years and they are simple and robust. The back is a fairly standard size so it's worth looking around for an old internal frame you can cut out of an old rucksack, Ive done this a few times and it improves the pack significantly. If you don't think this would be possible go for an Aiguille Alpine pack as they are the best on the market IMO.

That particular one has a frame to it? and thanks

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
That particular one has a frame to it? and thanks

I think it might depend on the size - mine is 45 + 10 and has one but I'm not sure about the smaller packs. The Aiguille Alpine packs are better designed than the Scottish Mountain Gear ones so are more comfy for bigger loads etc. Probably best to work out what size you need and go from there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE