What does this measurement mean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Patd

Jun 29, 2017
Kent
Hi I can't for the life of me figure out what this second measurement is for on these axe handles. I presume it's eye size but I just want to check before I order (I'm new to all this alright?).
Cheers,
Pat
d9ba4b52f863cd503cd30dd9410a7ace.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have no idea - unless it is the size of the face (length of the cutting edge) ... for example the GFB SFA has a 19" handle and a 3 1/4" face... the values seem right...

Patd

Jun 29, 2017
Kent
Yeah it's a pain I've got a bit of nice white ash laying around the shed I'll see if I can't make something out of that

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Is it just a badly formatted way of writing the size as length of handle x width of eye (long axis of oval)

So...

Thirty inch by two and a half inch
Thirty six inch by two and three quarter inch
Thirty six inch by three inch
Thirty six inch by three and a half inch

etc. ?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Is UK not Metric yet?

The old system is so illogical, that nobody knows off hand how many Inches goes into a Yard, how many Inches (or Yards) into a Mile.....

:)

I certainly know those things, and many of my aquaintance do as well. I can perfectly well visualise, accurately, dimensions in either imperial or metric or a mixture of both. It's been a constant source of wonder to me that so many folk have problems with it all; I think it's a mindset thing.

The old system was never illogical, just different, same as our old monetary system. One of those wonderfully quirky things about being a native of these blessed islands!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Like Macaroon says: you just learn to be bilingual, moving back and forth between 2 frames of reference and measurement.
I tell ya, it's a nightmare working on a car which is a mix of Imperial and Metric! Then the wrench socket sets get mixed up. . . . . . . .
What I like the very best is that many of the units in the SI Metric system are named for people, not abstract terms in a single language.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Celsius, Curie, Hertz, Joule, Volt (Volta), Amp (Ampere), Farad (Faraday), even Angstrom but he got dumped as that's 10^-10m which didn't fit the orders of magnitude scaling.
Too bad as Angstrom was a very convenient length in electron microscopy. Many, many other named units, it's a long list and I never needed much of it..

Fahrenheit got tossed as he had some strange set up of salt and ice to define his zero (?freezing point depression?) and boiling point elevation. I've long since forgotten.
Celsius, on the other hand, said: "water freezes at what I call zero. then, water boils at what I call 100." Good decimal boy. Of course its a 'centigrade' scale because it has 100 steps in it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That is correct. I refer to the units of the Systeme International version of the metric system = the global standard.

Everybody in science was annoyed about the Angstrom decision. Very useful length measurement and of no relevance
whatsoever to the real world of bushcraft and axe handles. Should have left well enough alone.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is UK not Metric yet?

The old system is so illogical, that nobody knows off hand how many Inches goes into a Yard, how many Inches (or Yards) into a Mile.....

:)

I certainly know those things, and many of my aquaintance do as well. I can perfectly well visualise, accurately, dimensions in either imperial or metric or a mixture of both. It's been a constant source of wonder to me that so many folk have problems with it all; I think it's a mindset thing.

The old system was never illogical, just different, same as our old monetary system. One of those wonderfully quirky things about being a native of these blessed islands!

I'm with mac on this. I have no problems at all visualizing the standard system (nor any problems knowing there are 36 inches in a yard --- 1760 yards in a mile, etc.) I can also think in metric (generally) without needing to convert. The exception would be temperature. I do have some problems conceiving celcius without converting it first.

UOTE=Robson Valley;1821741]Like Macaroon says: you just learn to be bilingual, moving back and forth between 2 frames of reference and measurement.
I tell ya, it's a nightmare working on a car which is a mix of Imperial and Metric! Then the wrench socket sets get mixed up. . . . . . . .
What I like the very best is that many of the units in the SI Metric system are named for people, not abstract terms in a single language.[/QUOTE]

Spot on. There is actually an even more logical temperature scale however; the Absolute Scale where 0 is the complete absents of heat. No negative numbers needed.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Celsius, Curie, Hertz, Joule, Volt (Volta), Amp (Ampere), Farad (Faraday), even Angstrom but he got dumped as that's 10^-10m which didn't fit the orders of magnitude scaling.
Too bad as Angstrom was a very convenient length in electron microscopy. Many, many other named units, it's a long list and I never needed much of it..

Fahrenheit got tossed as he had some strange set up of salt and ice to define his zero (?freezing point depression?) and boiling point elevation. I've long since forgotten.
Celsius, on the other hand, said: "water freezes at what I call zero. then, water boils at what I call 100." Good decimal boy. Of course its a 'centigrade' scale because it has 100 steps in it.

I'm an idiot, i was just thinking of distance measurement (mm,cm,m,km)
Out of those i'v never heard of angstrom at all and didn't know farad was a measurement. Heard of farady and his cage of course

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE