Best sleeping mat under £40

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dandus

Sep 26, 2016
Hull
what do you think? I will be bivy and sometimes hammock camping. Just got an MSS.
Can anybody reccomend? Preferably one I could use all year round. I don't care about bulk too much. I've seen a 15mm thick Dutch army surplus ccf. Any good? Or what are the dd or snugpak self inflators like?

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
You've got a few options available. First decision you need to make is whether you want a closed cell foam mat or self inflating mattress. The dutch army mats have a good reputation but are quite narrow compared to british army equivalent. I like using the CCF mat all year round as it is light, reliable and robust and keeps you warm in all British seasons (in my opinion anyway!). The downside of course is comfort, but if you fancy yourself as a bit of a bushcrafter then you can improvise when camping in the woods by making a leaf litter mattress or raised bed. I used a Thermarest Ridgerest CCF mat and have no qualms in using it. The ridges also help to keep you from sliding about.

In terms of self inflating mat, I'd go with the best brand you can afford. I'm liking Multimat, they're a pretty good reputable British brand who are also known to supply the British military. I have a Multimat Summit Expedition 38 which is 3/4 length and very comfy indeed, it only cost me £30 online but I've used it quite a few times now and have always slept comfortably (and warm). I bought this mat to replace something similar that I got from Go-Outdoors, you could easily see the difference in quality as the foam and fabric used by multimat seems more robust. If you fancy a bit of luxury then combine it with the CCF mat and you'll be even better for it! (always a nice option in the winter) The other thing I like about the multimat is that the stuff sack has a fleece lining which can be turnt inside out and used as a pillow.

The key with the self inflating mats is to not over-inflate them, that's the mistake that I believe many people make and then moan about them getting a puncture so easily. They don't need to be as rigid as a surfboard to give you a comfortable night's kip.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Personally I'd try and save a little more for a better quality pad. I've been using an Exped downlite for the last two winters, really rating it. Granted, its' way over your budget, but something like their synmat 7 isn't hugely more,

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/2539/produ...aXszIFDgKi2jofFtZiBourPhmVlA0qhMj0aAv_a8P8HAQ

Regardless of inflating mat, I ALWAYS pack a 1/2 length of a ccf pad. It goes under the inflating pad when I sleep on the ground, is my 'standing pad' for getting changed and my 'sit pad' by the fire.

I used CCF pads only for years and years before I ever thought about upgrading.

Dandus

Sep 26, 2016
Hull
Good tips both of you thanks. I have a cheap summer ccf mat I'll cut up and take with me. Good idea.
In the end I was torn between the multimat NATO 35s and the summit expedition 38.. They're about the same price new. I like surplus gear and the NATO looks very tough but thought I'd be a little bit different. They both seem to be the best value although I can't find reviews on the performance of the NATO. I went with the summit full length 38 to be a bit different and it has solid reviews.
For the record it was £45 from Amazon.

Last edited:

Dandus

Sep 26, 2016
Hull
Good recommendation I love it! I actually slept better on the mat then I do in my own bed. I'm just paranoid about punctures now. This had got to be one of if not the best self inflating for £40 surely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE