Ridgeline phone holder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Evening all
Having seen something similar available across the pond i decided to make one
e713f3806223b7737e51dadc913fa7ff.jpg

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have to say though, I can't tell from that picture which bit was made, or how it works. It looks like a broken car phone bracket glued to the body of a purple tie-dyed Biro, with the ridge line threaded up the middle. None of that sounds particularly secure or convenient, so is probably a long way off the mark. I was hoping that Adestu would post more pictures, or elaborate....confused:

I just have a cloth pocket on the ridgeline, it holds my phone, but not so I can watch the screen while I recline. Often though my phone goes in a pocket under the quilt with me, so the night's cold doesn't sap the battery life.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The poundstore are selling brackets to hold phones just now. Meant for cars I think. They come with a swivel back thing stuck on a sucker. Can't be beyond mortal wit to adapt that ?

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have to say though, I can't tell from that picture which bit was made, or how it works. It looks like a broken car phone bracket glued to the body of a purple tie-dyed Biro, with the ridge line threaded up the middle. None of that sounds particularly secure or convenient, so is probably a long way off the mark. I was hoping that Adestu would post more pictures, or elaborate....confused:

Your posts get more scathing as you go on.

While I'm not sure anyone has ever tie dyed a biro, I appreciate it's a tube that can be adjusted along the ridge line, and if properly fixed is not a "broken car phone bracket" or "a long way off the mark" as you scornfully wrote. It's derogatory.

I don't think the OP is particularly wanting to watch TV in bed, but have the option for it, or to take blog and review pictures or videos from within a hammock or tarp.

As for more pictures, Photobucket has gone.

To just slag off a post, as you have done a few times recently, like with your comment on the Hellize dagger with his lighthearted question about what people couldn't live without (snide that was, calling it silly). He makes good knives, has a sense of humour, and is an asset to the forum.

I suspect you'll delete again and leave your awfully clever and amusing input intact.

For your information, the Lithium ion batteries in phones are not sapped by cold.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I didn't mean it to be scathing. I am truly sorry that it was read that way. I looked at the post the day it was posted and couldn't work out how it worked, or what all the parts were. My description was what it looked like to me, not a judgement on whether it as good or bad, I re-purpose thing all the time. I meant that my interpretation of what the parts were and how it was assembled was probably a long way off mark, that I hadn't understood the picture, not that the holder was in anyway rubbish...jeez. That photo isn't on Photobucket, I think it is a direct upload.

I have a friend who regularly uses his phone, in his hammock, to watch videos he has down loaded. I am too much of a luddite to get anything more than video clips on to my phone, but can see that having something to hold it for longer use would be good. It never crossed my mind that it might be a bracket for shooting phone video...luddite, remember. Neat solution for that too.

If you had PMed me and told me you thought I was posting like a berk, I might well have gone and deleted/changed MY posts, since it was not my intent and I didn't mean to come over that way, but you went for replying here and quoting me. Thanks for pointing it out all the same, I will try to improve my posting going forward.

I know that lithium batteries are not meant to be sapped by cold, but it has happened to me on various occasions when my lithium powered cameras and phones have had their charge halved or more overnight. Maybe it isn't permanent, but having to warm the battery up again to get it to function, when you want to be using it, isn't for me if I can help it. My old Nokia dumb phone died one cold night, and didn't revive till I got it home and plugged in.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Morning gentlemen
Apologies for not following up this post.
The tube is designed to allow the it to attached to the ridge line by hooking on either end.its purpose is to be able to watch YouTube videos and blogs .it wouldn't stay there all night.it just allows for a more comfortable viewing.
2ebdb96f356e2d67f7e8e330d4872ee7.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I know how those line hangers work, we use them on the boat. On and off in an instant. Any chandler can illuminate you.

It's both chemistry and physics that you cannot beat: battery function changes by a factor of approx 2X, for every 10C change in temperature.
Modern phones are so thin, 10 minutes inside your shirt ought to be enough. The cold does not sap the battery. Usage does.
In the reactions of biological chemistry, the number is usually closer to 2.3.
Wait until you need a battery that can cold-crank a 454 cid V8 at -30C.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Look at the keyhole shape of the visible opening. The one at the other end rotates in the opposite direction.
Hold the line in the slot and a half twist out of the groove. Then reverse the process at the other end.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When you think about it for a minute, you can cut the hook and 2 neck wires off a coat hanger.
Wrap a pig tail corkscrew around a bit of 1/2" copper water pipe in one direction at one end
then do the opposite at the other end. On the line, holds a beer can by the tab.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE