Hammock with built in Net - useful tip!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Hi Folks
I'm a big fan of hammock camping but always find the bug net seems to hang on me regardless of how I tie up the net suspension. I came up with this remedy the other day and was very pleased with it. I attached a biner to the two zips on the side of the hammock I don't exit from (so the "back") and then attacked a guyline (with a loop of shock cord attached to take up the tension) and pegged it out. When you climb inside the hammock you can adjust the tension so it pulls the net away from you. And then I found I could slide along the pair of zips to apply tension in exactly the right place to give maximum space and give a kind of "shelf" within the hammock - useful for slipping a book onto.

image hosting 10mb limit

post img

I was really happy with how it turned out - I have a few hammocks without a net and love the spacious feeling when in them. So now I can get that same vibe in my Hornet with minimum extra hassle.
Hope this is helpful to some, if I've not explained things too well do ask away.
Cheers
Phil

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Thanks - I've been thinking of sewing a loop onto my other hammock (without a net) just so I can stake out one side on the diagonal. It really alters the feel of the hammock in a good way :)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
If yo look at some of the pioneer camping hammock producers,such as Hennessy and Warbonnet, they have assymetrically placed tie outs on the hammock to do just this. It also encourages a diagonal lay which is so desirable.{lenty of videos both on producer sites and youTube to illustrate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE