Is There a Foraging Book That's Divided into Months or Seasons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Collins gem "Food for free" by Richard Mabey is probably the most popular. Not everything listed will grow in your area and the seasonal variation may not match the books predictions - but it is a good place to start.

ATB

Ogri the trog

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I don't get the "food for free" popularity.. not much Id info, it's arranged by plant name so you need to know what you've got first, and it only gives one usage per plant :dunno:

From a quick scan across my bookshelf:

The Wild Food Yearbook by Country Kitchen: (probably out of print but available second hand) is arranged by seasons and covers plants and animals with plenty of recipes

Easy Wild Food Guide by Fletcher: Arranged by season. Good ID info and some tips on cooking and usage

And more of an Urban foraging guide but covers most of the common plants and has a table of what to pick when in the middle of the book: The Thrifty Forager by Alys Fowler

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I have a fair few plant and foraging guides. Just recently I've been gifted one of the River cottage handbooks (edible seashore- cheers bobdude!) and have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. A good mix of descriptions, advice & guidance and a good section on rights and responsibilities. I was so impressed I've added to it with edible hedgerows and mushrooms. Think it's really important to have a weighty section which covers rights and responsibilities...the pressure on wild nature and resources through foraging is ever present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
I just purchased them too.
There must be an abundance of wild food throughout the end of the summer, through autumn and in to winter.

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
The River Cottage 'Hedgerow' has a calendar within, with all the contents available that month, high and low seasons, and whether to use roots, seeds or leaf if multiple parts are in season at different times of the year.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This is probably one of the best you can buy, but its reflected in the price: The forager Handbook, Miles Irving.

[ :( I paid £30 for mine, I see they are now going for under £12 on Amazon used. ]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE