Crazy idea - bronze laminated blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Is it just the look you are after? If so, you could electroplated copper onto the blade. Pretty easy to plate copper onto carbon steel at home.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v always wanted a sword with the fuller inlaid with hawthorn and a silver inlay in the hawthorn.....ultimate zombie/vampire/werewolf slayer

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing properly. If it isn't worth the gear, or knowledge to do properly, it isn't worth your time, or anyone else's to do a bodge job.

Have a look at what you might be able to do with "silver solder". It is what knife makers use to solder guards (often brass or bronze) to blades. I think it is a daft idea, but reckon that solder is going to be your best bet with the gear you have.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Experiments are no waste of time. Do it. Interesting idea. Not a good time to be conservative.

Chris' suggestion to use silver solder is another good thing to try.

Bottle torches (propane) will not give you the heat you need. I've tried, using one to forge copper.
Very slow. No where near enough heat to work harder metals. Was really quite disappointing.
So I went to the local farrier. His gas forge will heat a shoe to yellow in 60 seconds. His striking accuracy was a revelation to watch.

"Research is what you do when you realize that you cannot go on doing things tomorrow
the way that you are doing them today." - anon.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I looked up a bunch of melting points, even the silver solder is going to give you grief at the flow temperatures.
Learned there's 50+ flavors of bronze, too.
The differences in MP's suggest that mashing one into the other might not work at all.
Bimetallic corrosion will play if you add an electrolyte. Like the sacrificial anode on a boat.

But, mechanical assembly might be the way to go with epoxy to fill any lingering voids.

I wonder how they set the tungsten carbide tips into stone-masons steel chisels?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I looked up a bunch of melting points, even the silver solder is going to give you grief at the flow temperatures.

Learned there's 50+ flavors of bronze, too.
The differences in MP's suggest that mashing one into the other might not work at all.
Bimetallic corrosion will play if you add an electrolyte. Like the sacrificial anode on a boat.

But, mechanical assembly might be the way to go with epoxy to fill any lingering voids.

I wonder how they set the tungsten carbide tips into stone-masons steel chisels?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE