Bivi bags.... so many choices 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
ok so after a few days on the net I ordered a Snugpak Special Forces extra long bivi bag in green.
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/special-forces-bivvi-bag

Most of the others seemed too heavy to use with a back pack or so flimsy I did not think they would last. So plan A was to go and view bags in shops but none seemed to have any stock near me. so I bit the bullet and ordered one.

so its 2017 Time for a thread on which is the best Bivi Bag and why :)

David

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I have the special forces bivvy and like how light weight it is. I only used it with a tarp but I think it's a good buy.
It's very easy to get in and out of.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

'Best' as always on here is down to a number of factors the primary being IMHO 'the best that you can afford'.. I'll qualify that -

When the Corinthia Observer bivvy takes up only marginally more space and adds only marginally more weight when compared with others on the market (unless you are one of those featherweight everything types!) why wouldn't you purchase the Corinthia with its tough (ish) construction; roomy hooped-head section and multiple access/ventilation/counter mosi options? The £400 quid price ticket might be a clue! :lmao:

Corinthia and the (much cheaper) Dutch dpm single hooped bivvies do come up second hand/mil surplus and IMHO are worth watching out for.

Corinthia.jpg Bivvi1.jpg

But after Wonga, 'Best' might also be 'best practicality'

The thing with bivvy bags for bushcrafting is that as Hibrion states you usually want a tarp set up above so that you can sit up under shelter.
After decades of use of bivvy bags at all times of the year and in all weathers I almost always set a tarp above simply to keep heavy rain (and frost!) off the bag. If I don't plan on hanging around and needing to sit up under shelter I'll use the mod'd poncho over a bivvy bag as in the image.
P1060639b.jpg

It might seem a bit counter but every barrier that you can place between you and the elements (and you and mother Earth for that matter!) the better, especially when you are piling up the Zeds!

You might also want a mosi head net at certain times of year/certain locations and if you aren't comfortable with a head net, one of those the hooped bivvies offer a (better?) alternative.

I've often heard of complaints in my former profession(s) and on here about the 'awkwardness of the standard (usually ex mil) bivvy bag configuration (top access only). It is true they are a real pain in the A if you have to shuffle in an out (inc sleeping bag!) at any time but especially during the hours of darkness and so a side (preferably diagonal) side zip is a wise feature - standard or added later.
I have found that with a hooped bivvy the extra tension/rigidity (and if the bag is staked) makes the zip issue even more practical.

Bivvi4.jpg

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Best bivvy i've ever used is the old dutch army issue.

Hunka and the issue bag are also very good, the newer MTP bivvy is a bit lighter than the old olive or dpm one.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
My personal favourite, is my canvas bivvi. Cant recall who makes it, its got a central entrance, and being canvas, idont have to worry about sparks and embers. It is much quieter too.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I found this article very useful for having a starter list to investigate: http://thenextchallenge.org/comparison-best-bivi-bags/

I've the Dutch military surplus Carinthia Observer two pole copy made by Carinthia. You can open it up to get your head exposed if you want the bivi experience of you and your bag at one with nature, but really you need to think of it as a one man tent (hence it being called a bivi shelter rather than bivi bag).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE