Slightly different tarp advice...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
I've nearly finished building my camper van based on a Mercedes Vario 814 (not sure it'll ever be finished) and am looking for a tarp to act as a cheap/versatile awning. I plan on lashing it to the roofrack and then using a couple of poles to support the other end.

It will live in the van so weights not an issue, although if it's light enough to be used elsewhere that's a bonus. My main priority is that it's durable, fire retardant and waterproof.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing 3x3m size would be adequate although I'll measure up before purchase obviously!

Ill post some photos of the van if anybody's interested...

Gracias!

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
If you're keen on making it yourself I'd recommend using 6oz ripstop nylon.
Three 25mm soft weave webbing tails with bar buckles, stitched along the roof rack edge to anchor it on, then actually the most versatile shape is an irregular pentagon shape with sweeping curves to each point (except the van side which is straight.) eyelets reinforced with pvc. Then you can have three telescopic poles to elevate it right up, or two, or one and guy the others down.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I'd just use the heavy duty blue tarps. I'm pretty sure you can get that kind of tarp in a fire retardant version.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
The campers based on a Merc 814 which is a 7.5t panel van... Plenty of space lol

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Just checked an old thread of his, his tarps look lovely! I'm tempted by a 4x4m one but the price rises a fair amount at that size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE