cheap CCF pad questions - foil vs thicker padding?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-greenman-

Jun 1, 2017
cambs
well my budget is as low as possible, definitely not more than the price of that ridge rest. I'm not worried about bulk so much as weight as I'm planning to put it under the blanket in my czech bedroll for now. Because it's going to go in there it won't be too accessible so the less preparation needed for sleep the better. A self-inflating mat would probably be OK but the ones available for these sorts of low prices seem to be very heavy. I've definitely thought about a hammock and I might get one eventually just for the different experience but for now I think I'd prefer the bedroll/tarp setup.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I tend to try to leave no trace. I also can only legally visit certain zones for camping, which are used by other people too. The other zones i never visit or camp at ofcource ;). If the only sign i've been somewhere, is that the grass is a little bit flatter where i set up my tarp, i'm happy. Also the inflatable is lighter, warmer, less bulky and more comfortable than a thin foil or mat.

Well when your in the habit of carrying a trowell it's not that much against nature to flatten your bed.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
well my budget is as low as possible, definitely not more than the price of that ridge rest. I'm not worried about bulk so much as weight
To some extent, one follows the other - if you want it to very comfortable and small packing, you'll need to spend money.

But a decently comfy mat should cost that much - your local Go Outdoors should be able to come up with something, or have a look around at online sales. Personally, I think if your spending a fiver, your not going to get much. £40 or so sounds a lot, but if you think about being uncomfortable, cold and miserable, and then shelling out for a decent one, buy right in the first place.

On the other hand, for £15 - this might do very well - https://www.aldi.co.uk/adventuridge-self-inflating-mat/p/094875139923600 - probably the best value you'll get at the moment.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Well when your in the habit of carrying a trowell it's not that much against nature to flatten your bed.

Like i said, i mostly use public campgrounds. If everyone would do this, there would not be a campground left. These are areas which are allowed camping, for 2 nights max, with a limit on howmany are allowed on there. First come, first serve basis (Though the limit isn't really checked). Those aren't my property and actually government private property.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE