Any advice on Archery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
So whilst wandering round Keswick mountain festival today myself and the family had a go at Archery. I'm sure a few people in here participate.

I've always been tempted by shooting in some way and generally feel as though I've a good eye for it. So I'm looking for advice really in where to start.

I'm assuming clubs are a good idea?

Are there any legalities around buying bows and arrows? Using them? Where do people practice.

Any advice greatly appreciated around starting the sport.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
best to join a local club,as they will have a controlled area for Archery practice, etc,and you could get advice about what strength bow will best suit you, your local sports shop should have the names of local groups, clubs etc..
It is illegal to hunt with a bow and arrow,
Great care needs to be taken in wooded areas, where it is likely other people will be walking, etc.
It is not illegal to own or buy a bow and arrows

and whatever you do, don't put an apple on your head

Last edited:

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Visit a local club. You need a bow that is the right draw weight and length for you so there's no point in buying until someone knowledgeable works it out for you. You can shoot on your property if you have the room, but don't think about public spaces !
There are two main forms .. traditional target archery like you see in the Olympics were you shoot from the same distance each time. Then there's field archery that I do where you shoot in woods at various targets and distances, with the distances generally unknown so you have to judge it. Not that traditional clubs are bad, but most field clubs are down to earth and cheaper to join .. and more fun ! Look at the NFAS website for details including a local club.
Anything else just ask :)

bearbait

A club, I think, is best to start. The club may be able to lend you bow/arrows for a while so you can see if you like it before committing to spending valuable beer tokens on gear. Also a club may have a beginners' course from the club coach to give you a good introduction.

You may also be able to buy some pre-loved gear from other members as they upgrade their gear over time.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Definately join a club and don't buy any kit yet, your draw weight will increase significantly as your technique improves so anything you buy now will be too light in a few months and also you may decide you would prefer a different style such as longbow, primitive, compound, flatbow and others but you won't know until you have started and seen what's available.

To help there are three main bodies most archery clubs belong to. There is Archery Gb which is mainly shooting at round paper targets in a flat field, there is English Field Archery Association which is in woods shooting at targets at a known marked distance then there is the National Field Archery Society which is targets usually animal shaped at unknown distances usually in a wood. All have good webpages and there is cross over between most disciplines with many archers being members of several groups. If you like being out in the woods then EFAA or NFAS will probably appeal more to you there are two great NFAS clubs in Cumbria, Lakeland near Wythrop and North Lakes near penrith. Contact details for those clubs are here
http://www.nfas.net/clubs.asp

You will find all clubs welcoming and archery is a great sport enabling you to travel all over the world if you wish competing or just relaxing in a local private woodland.

You can legally own as many bows as you wish but will need a safe place to practice. By joining a club you will also gain access to suitable land with other benefits for example my NFAS club for fifty pounds a year gets me access to sixty acres of private woodland where I can practice bushcraft as well as archery.

Last edited:
If you have to end up spending money on a bow, I recommend getting a takedown recurve with low weight limbs (25-30lbs) to start. This way with properly matched arrows you can work on form to get consistent with shot placement. And when you want to get a more powerful, all you have to do is get new limbs. Also get to know your local archery shop, they can be a great help in getting you setup which is important. While clubs and fellow archers are a great source of information, don't take everything as gospel. Find what works for your style. You'll be amazed with all the different styles and the subtle nuances in drawing a bow. Feel free to experiment and see what works for you.

Also get at least a dozen arrows. Trust me you'll need them.

Mike

Mike

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
and whatever you do, don't put an apple on your head

Yeah. In my experience, it just rolls off your head as you loose and it bruises as it hits the floor.
;)

A lot of sage advice here for the newbie - I appreciate it, thanks. I recommend complementing what you can gain from membership of a club with a book I'm currently reading: "Archery Steps To Success" (3rd edition) written by Haywood & Lewis.

A couple of months ago, I'd have been interested in the following item, thinking it could be a worthwhile tool:

https://www.survivalarcherysystems.com/products/survival_bow

An interesting concept that crashes in flames when it comes to the reality of use.

Having since read archery basics and learning about fitting equipment to your size, strength and the type of archery you intend to practise, it's just so very wrong on so very many issues! I am HORRIFIED that anyone would manufacture such a piece of inappropriate kit (read "junk") that only the clueless would purchase - and FAR worse - would likely try to use for bow hunting. "Junk" - I mean "unethical, irresponsible, murderous junk".

Bow hunting illegal in the UK, it saddens me that there are surely people out there keen to try out this gimmicky toy on whatever misfortunate animals they might happen upon. Play at being "Johnny J"...
:mad:

As with most things related to wilderness survival and the outdoors, any commercial kit named "SAS" anything is usually dire, unsellable rubbish - this thing especially. I don't think even Eddie Grylls would recommend this bow to anyone.

Just my pennyworth.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
My wife and I used to be cooaches so if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help. Find a club that is affiliated to Archery GB and get on one of their beginner courses. Once you've finished the course you can decide where you want to go within the discipline. Club facilities vary considerably so,look around.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
https://www.survivalarcherysystems.com/products/survival_bow

An interesting concept that crashes in flames when it comes to the reality of use.

Bow hunting illegal in the UK, it saddens me that there are surely people out there keen to try out this gimmicky toy on whatever misfortunate animals they might happen upon. Play at being "Johnny J"...
:mad:

As with most things related to wilderness survival and the outdoors, any commercial kit named "SAS" anything is usually dire, unsellable rubbish - this thing especially. I don't think even Eddie Grylls would recommend this bow to anyone.

Just my pennyworth.

Aye Up,

And don't you just love how $199.95 translates directly to £199.95 on the UK site! - roll-on the US/UK trade deal!! (tongue in cheek icon needed).

But you are right - some muppet WILL try and use it here. On the property that I help to protect there have already been instances of deer being shot at and injured with bows.:(

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
This was just my personal experience which I'm sure is different everywhere.

I went for archery lessons and had a great time with the coach and the other novices. When the lessons were over I went to the local target archery club and everyone there was unfriendly and had no interest having anything to do with me. They were also obsessed with covering their bows with balancing weights and all kinds of stuff. I probably should have found a field archery club instead.

But I now go shotgun clay shooting, and everyone seems so friendly and interesting to chat to in that circle.

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
Another vote for finding a club here. They'll teach form, let you try kit, and help when you end up buying too many toys. I started with recurve, mostly shoot compound now, but got a longbow for fun earlier this year :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
Another vote for finding a club here. They'll teach form, let you try kit, and help when you end up buying too many toys. I started with recurve, mostly shoot compound now, but got a longbow for fun earlier this year :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE