Robens Prospector Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Hello, couldnt find anything on the forum about these tents, I am considering it amoungst bell tents, just wondered if anyone has any experience of these? I can see that it will take longer to set up and probably need two people, however, I do like the lay out of the tent.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's a base camp tent. I wouldn't set it up for less than 2 weeks and it's heavy. The volume of space inside will make you very, very happy.
Prospectors in the Precambrian Shield region of Canada might sit in one place for 6+ weeks and make rock-bashing prospecting forays
within maybe 10-15 miles of base. Then move on.

In my district, we get quite a few groups of big game hunters in the autumn for 2-3 weeks at a time.
Many bring tents like that complete with stoves for frosty nights/snow and convenient cooking.
They all select optimum base camp sites for wood and water then use 4x4 quads
to reach the actual hunting locations 2 - 20+km away.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Cheers Robson, For sure its a base camp tent, if it takes about half hour to set up I would use it for just a few nights, cant see it taking that long that one would only use it for 2 weeks. not much heavier than bell tent etc. I like where the stove would be situated and how just that area unzips for stove. Am a little concerned that the rest of the ground sheet is stitched in, like the idea of it being removeable to clean. Wonder about stability, but guess if this style of tent is used in America/Canada must be fairly stable.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Stability. I'd expect it to puff up unless a window is open.
Also an advantage with the sewn in ground sheet so the wind cant lift it.
I was thinking smaller tents for shorter times with fewer people.

Two weeks is the usual length of hunting trips here.
That's about what most people can get the time off to do. Plenty of time to fill their tags.
Prospectors have quite another agenda. I'll guess that they spend 1/2 their time or more conducting chemical tests on the rock samples.
Exotic metals for the semiconductor industry is big money in this day and time. Not like base metals of 50+ years ago.

There's also some foggy piece of BC legislation about a time limit of 14 days in a single wild camping spot.
We have lots of primitive camp grounds outside the National Park system. At the same time, you can pick your spot on crown land.
Much of the forest edge is so dense that you could pitch a red tent 20' from a logging road and nobody would ever find you.

When we broke camp, as a family, both our 9' x 12' tents had sewn in ground sheets.
My job was to use the broom to sweep the tents out. Factory show-room cleanliness was an impossible dream.

In our coniferous forests, we don't consider there to be much of a risk of widow-maker branches falling down unless the wind is extreme.
Most camps then, in the shelter of the forest, are quite calm, even for small open camp fires.
There are some big patches of tall aspens & cottonwoods in the river bottoms. Nobody even goes for a walk in there on a windy day.

One small thing: the Robens tent color. Ours were dark blue and dark green canvas.
Just about dark in there, mid day in the rain. That beige/sand color will be nice and bright.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE