Best Cooking Hack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I wonder who's definition of "fresh" eggs I could trust. So when are they 'stale?'
Even for me, I'm not prepared to mess with 2 dozen farm eggs, the day that they are delivered.

"stale" eggs in BC go to the Lysozyme factory where they break 5,000 eggs per hour. Quite a sight.

BTW, 'boil-in-a-bag' bags and cling wrap are food safe.
I'd be more concerned about plastic packaging which is not intended to be heated.

Learn to make your own egg pasta. Easy. Imperia pasta machines have the smoothest gear set. Atlas is OK, Schule is really sloppy.
Plus, you can roll fresh herbs right into the pasta sheet for "stained-glass" pasta. Sage & oregano for chicken.

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland

AN INTERESTING READ! made me ponder.... Uk & US different storage recommendations

I wonder who's definition of "fresh" eggs I could trust. So when are they 'stale?'
Even for me, I'm not prepared to mess with 2 dozen farm eggs, the day that they are delivered.

"stale" eggs in BC go to the Lysozyme factory where they break 5,000 eggs per hour. Quite a sight.

BTW, 'boil-in-a-bag' bags and cling wrap are food safe.
I'd be more concerned about plastic packaging which is not intended to be heated.

Learn to make your own egg pasta. Easy. Imperia pasta machines have the smoothest gear set. Atlas is OK, Schule is really sloppy.
Plus, you can roll fresh herbs right into the pasta sheet for "stained-glass" pasta. Sage & oregano for chicken.

here in the uk our eggs are stored/sold not refrigerated on the supermarket shelf, While the US chose to control Salmonella contamination through egg washing and refrigeration, many countries in Europe have chosen to improve sanitation and vaccinate hens against Salmonella, preventing infection in the first place

Raising my Question ....RE. eggs cracking (mightn't be relevant) but room temp or fridge storage prior to boiling.... I'm a room temp... RV? Scott?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I akready said it. ***** it. When you boil it you will see a lot of air escaping.
Also putting them it cold water ( then bring up to boil, and finish boiling) usually works.

I still treat eggs like they have Salmonella. If I get that one Salmonella infected egg I can die from a burst diverticulae.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mostly just me and the cat. Summer is here (aka: no frost in the forecast) so I want to make some HB eggy things.
I can make devilled HB eggs to melt your eyebrows.
Seems all I've ever known is to keep eggs refrigerated. So far, so good and I'll never see 70 again.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nothing wrong with keepings eggs in the fridge.
I tend to use common sense ( ie what my grand mom tought my mon) not some overpaid dude's ideas.

Care to share your Devilled Egg receipe in the Vegetarian thread?

If you made it past 70 it must be good and healthy!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
For a weekend out, I beat 4 eggs together in a bowl, then pour them into a small orange juice bottle before I leave home. Easy to carry and no chance of a mess in your pack. Just pour the required ammount into a pan for instant omelette or scrambled eggs.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Some interesting ideas folks ,keep em coming, food tastes great outdoors, must try that crosslandkelly sounds fab.

Scott

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
This one takes a little practice but keeps your fingers clean.
When adding stock cubes to the pot gently squeeze and crumble them first without breaking the foil then tear a corner off and shake out the contents.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I've been making my own boil in bag meals for quite a while now using Lakeland boil-in-bag bags (50 bags for less than a fiver) - well, wifey doubles up on homemade casseroles, soups, stews etc and freezes the surplus in the bags (350-400grams per bag).

I use a Sharpy to identify the bag contents and the date prepared/frozen (at top of the bag - keeps ink out of the boil water when reheating) and I run a chart with bag content details stuck to side of the freezer.

I take them out the freezer the night before an outing and stick them on a plate to defrost. I then reheat and eat as required whilst out.
I then use the (uncontaminated) boil water for a brew (but see my recent post re BRS stove and charcoal!)
In the recent warm weather on one occasion I stuck a frozen BIB in the pouch alongside my 1 litre H20 bottle to defrost.
Cool H20 on the move and come dinner time (lunch to you softies :lmao:) a BIB ready to heat up.

I've just nipped away to test hard boiling eggs using the Lakeland bags (an eggsperiment! Yes, I know....)

Kitchen hob; anodised ally pan; Size large, free-range eggs.

Results:

#1. Eggs straight from the pantry
2 in a bag into water, water already boiling, 8 minutes, one opened straightaway - raw-ish, second allowed to cool naturally then opened - raw-ish

#2. Eggs straight from pantry
2 eggs in a bag into water, water cold, brought up to boiling then boiled for 12 minutes - opened as above - both soft side of hard (or hard side of soft)

#3. Eggs straight from pantry
2 eggs in a bag into water, water cold, brought up to boiling then boiled for 14 minutes - opened as above - both perfect.

Conclusion:
None of the eggs cracked;
Bags cause need for increased boil time
Water was uncontaminated (but lost a lot to steam on the second boil due to forgettin (no 'G' Friday afternoon after 1615! :lmao:) to put the pan lid over.
Optimum time seems to be #3

Does this count as science? :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks Jaeger. I read that you had no preconceived idea about any of the results.
Cook the eggs, open them, observe, report. Tastes like science to me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Boiling water is the sure fired method of killing bacteria like ecoli…the stuff that hens were slaughtered in their thousands (Eggwina Curry) because of not so long ago. So, boiling the eggs in the kettle will kill the bacteria. Especially since even a soft boiled egg takes at least five times as long as the recommended time for sterilising water.

The amount of calcium from the shells that might end up in the water is minuscule…..even here where our water is really soft, that's true. In times past the shells were ground and added to flour to add calcium to the diets of growing children and pregnant women….and it was done in the prison camps in the far east during wartime to improve the diets of the children there too.
I have never heard about the connection with kidney stones :dunno: How do folks who live in areas with hard water manage ?

Hack ? :) buy a sheet of oven liner and cut it to fit the bottom of your pots. Food just will not stick :D even if your pots are really thin, or titanium.

cheers,
Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We can buy a brand of aluminum foil here called "Slide." Not Teflon but nothing sticks to it at any temperature. You can wash it off and use it again!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
When young and strong, I too used to carry eggs, but I boiled them at home. Warmed them up just as you do.The only point I have is that as the outside of the eggs can be dirty and carry bacteria, prewash them at home with a mild chlorine solution.

A short boil does not kill all the nasties!

To sterilize by boiling you need to boil the object for 20 minutes.

20 minutes ? that seems a long time? My Babys bottles never took that long in the steraliser that we had?

Boiling water is the sure fired method of killing bacteria like ecoli…the stuff that hens were slaughtered in their thousands (Eggwina Curry) because of not so long ago. So, boiling the eggs in the kettle will kill the bacteria. Especially since even a soft boiled egg takes at least five times as long as the recommended time for sterilising water.

The amount of calcium from the shells that might end up in the water is minuscule…..even here where our water is really soft, that's true. In times past the shells were ground and added to flour to add calcium to the diets of growing children and pregnant women….and it was done in the prison camps in the far east during wartime to improve the diets of the children there too.
I have never heard about the connection with kidney stones :dunno: How do folks who live in areas with hard water manage ?

Hack ? :) buy a sheet of oven liner and cut it to fit the bottom of your pots. Food just will not stick :D even if your pots are really thin, or titanium.

cheers,
Toddy

pretty much like toddy this was my thinking also,

a google search says "the recommended boiling time for sterilising water".

Time To Boil Drinking Water
Boiling is the most certain way of killing all microorganisms.

According to the Wilderness Medical Society…

Water temperatures at 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes.
Water temperatures above 185° F (85° C) kill all pathogens within a few minutes.

So in the time it takes for water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude. The moment your drinking water reaches a rolling boil, the water has already become safe to drink.

I like the oven liner idea! Eggwina Curry, made me chuckle....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the sound of the stuff that Robson Valley mentioned too though….does if fall apart like other aluminium foils do though when exposed to really high heat (campfire) or acids such as fruits / tomatoes ?

M

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh

cheers,
Toddy
Thanks Toddy, eggs in kettles it is then, eggs rock.

Scott

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sounds rather gross, but the hen lays eggs from a separate duct that leads out the same exit as her bowel, but the oviduct thingie kind of extrudes past the bowel and the exit vent when the hen actually lays the egg, and that's supposed to help keep the egg clean. Besides it's coated in a cuticle.

That's the bit that's the difference between how the Americans treat their eggs and how we do it. The natural egg, that hasn't been washed and hasn't been bleached actually stays safer inside it's untreated shell, but the Americans fuss over the outside of the shell and can't sell eggs that haven't been cleaned. Our farmers can't sell eggs in shells that have been cleaned.

This article is really clear on the egg making/laying process.
http://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/eggs-meat/how-do-chickens-lay-eggs/

Aren't livestock weird ?

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
General sterilizing -boiling for 2 minutes but not all pathogens are dead.
Medical grade sterilizing ( all pathogens dead) - boiling for 20 minutes.

If you ever had diarrhea in the bush ( I had the pleasure) you will overdo it, trust me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE