Best Cooking Hack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Second attempt, shows how rusty I am, not been here for a while.

Just back from my second overnighter of the year and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it, great to get back to the outdoors.

This has probably been covered before especially by the old hands, but for any new bush crafters looking for cooking tips I thought I would share my cooking hack.

Theres nothing like freshly cooked eggs and a brew first thing in the morning, and I like to boil my eggs in the kettle, you get lovely boiled eggs and have enough boiled water for a brew, killing 2 birds with one stone.

kettle%20eggs_zpsgxu2ckca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
kettle%20eggs2_zpsk8aj976t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So come folks do you have any hacks for sharing.

Enjoy Scott

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When young and strong, I too used to carry eggs, but I boiled them at home. Warmed them up just as you do.The only point I have is that as the outside of the eggs can be dirty and carry bacteria, prewash them at home with a mild chlorine solution.

A short boil does not kill all the nasties!

To sterilize by boiling you need to boil the object for 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the tip, never would have thought of that.
I've been buying smallish farm eggs and needing a hammer to break the shells.

Seems calcium supplements are increasingly important with age.
That, you can get from daily milk if you're lactose tolerant. If not? Yoghurt.
Oddly, it's now claimed that lots of Vitamin C is necessary for effective Ca absorption.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Never had a egg burst on me yet Robson, always start with cold water.

Interesting about calcium though, I know folk use electric kettles at home to do this, will have check this out.

Cheers

Scott

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
How do you manage to boil eggs without at least one of them cracking and blurting snot all over the water?

Hi RV, I eat a lot of eggs around 15 each week, & more than half of them are boiled, I always thought that eggs only burst when being boiled because the shell is already fractured prior to the egg being placed in the water for boiling. I do tend to avoid buying cheap eggs & instead only buy quality eggs (Burford Browns) nice dark orangy yellow yolks & I can't recall the last time I had an egg crack on me while being boiled.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Interesting. I was taught to start the eggs on medium heat in cold water so there's fewer stress fractures. Not as good as it sounds.
This year past, I've been buying small-size farm eggs, even some green shell Amerucanas (all taste like farm eggs). Thick shells but still
the odd one cracks, like 1/12. I do pickled eggs, egg salad, potato salad and fry/scramble/softboil, too.

Does the age of the egg make any difference?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Interesting. I was taught to start the eggs on medium heat in cold water so there's fewer stress fractures. Not as good as it sounds.
This year past, I've been buying small-size farm eggs, even some green shell Amerucanas (all taste like farm eggs). Thick shells but still
the odd one cracks, like 1/12. I do pickled eggs, egg salad, potato salad and fry/scramble/softboil, too.

Does the age of the egg make any difference?

I always try to buy fresh so can't comment on age but Like scottpix I also start with cold water brought rapidly to the boil & boiled full tilt for 4 minutes.....

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
I always used have eggs burst on me at home until my wife pointed out you have to start them off in cold water, and yes fresh is always best.

When I cook these when camping I use a meth burner, and fresh eggs no pre-cooking, I suppose it takes about 10 mins to cook to hard boiled, tastes great btw.

Scott

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I always used have eggs burst on me at home until my wife pointed out you have to start them off in cold water, and yes fresh is always best.

When I cook these when camping I use a meth burner, and fresh eggs no pre-cooking, I suppose it takes about 10 mins to cook to hard boiled, tastes great btw.

Scott

I do mine in the trangia kettle with Bioethanol too when camping raw eggs but yes around 5 minutes to boil & 4 minutes after reaching a rolling boil It must be about 10 minutes,

My cooking hack:~

packed in a lock & lock egg box padded with bannok mix for transport....

34904883171_8305b6e8ce.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lock-Lock...829523?hash=item2cbe64ab53:g:2MsAAOSw42JZBM6z

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Not really a hack given it is on the packet, but I just love the instructions on these noodles. Maybe theyre aiming for the stoners.
IMAG1235.jpg

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Nice one Alan I cant rate eggs highly enough, they do pack a punch, one of easiest and highly nutritious foods you can have on a trip.

Scott

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A Ziplock bag with a couple of beaten eggs, chopped onion or whatever makes a good omelette when boiled in a pan. I wouldn't do it all the time as I suspect it's possible for the plastic to leach into both the water and the eggs. But they're sold as boil in the bag so should be safe enough.

I don't boil cling film or any other plastic that isn't specifically recommended as boil in the bag.

Another thing worth looking for is Sainsbury's potato, bacon, and onion in a foil bag. It needs a bit of extra seasoning and sauce, but they're very convenient. Saves fuel boiling spuds for 20 mins and frying bacon and onion.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When I was young(-er) in Sweden the shells were very thin and the eggs used to crack. I learned to punch a tiny hole through the end and use cold water.

Eggs are a forgotten super food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE