A non-EU custom charges tale (beware!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I'm not usually an impulsive kit buyer and I'm certainly not a kit tart, but since seeing Ben Fogle visit Tennessee to spend time with blacksmith Justin Burke I've really fancied one of his tomahawks. You of course pay a premium for bespoke goods and despite the postage being eye watering I still pressed forward and made this slightly indulgent purchase (what the hell, I'm 50 in the Summer so it's an early present).

Rather naively I thought sealing the deal was the end of it but I've been clobbered for £57 worth of customs charges which had I known they were due I'd have pulled the plug on the whole thing :sulkoff: Justin replied and posted promptly and yet the hawk took longer to be released and delivered when in the UK than it did to get here in the first place!

If you want a read of about the charges I've done a blog page on it here with a link through to a page about the hawk if anyone's interested. It's a real thing of beauty and paper cutting sharp but...ouch, my wallet!

Whilst on the subject has anyone else got a similar tail to tell? :lurk:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
It shows great restraint to have made your first non-EU purchase at the fine age of almost 50! My customs charges experiences started before I could even buy booze within our shores.

Here is a useful calculator to help guide you on how much certain items (there are different rates for different categories of items) from across the pond and further afield will actually cost you to get from seller to your doormat: http://ianatkinson.net/leather/links.htm
Code:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It shows great restraint to have made your first non-EU purchase at the fine age of almost 50! My customs charges experiences started before I could even buy booze within our shores.

Here is a useful calculator to help guide you on how much certain items (there are different rates for different categories of items) from across the pond and further afield will actually cost you to get from seller to your doormat: http://ianatkinson.net/leather/links.htm

WOW! That looks like there's also a tax on the shipping/postage!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
It's why UK retails charge us so much more for overseas goods and you'll be glad to know It'll only get worst when we are out of the EU

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Could he not sent it to you as a gift or present, prearranged with him before purchase.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Ah customs - I was once charged the similar amount of two good bottles of whiskey on a 'steal' vintage Seiko watch from the Fillipines..

Sort of lost my appetitie for non-EU bargain hunting after that ;)

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Yeah, really interesting this subject. I've had a number of items from the US, some charged extortionately others not.

Makes you wonder how we can get rubbish from China with minimal shipping costs yet quality goods from the US only with ridiculous surcharges?

I recently had to turn down a 'Pack Rabbit' rucksack offered at a good discount because the additional charges made it un-viable.

Re post Brexit - surely some kind of a US/UK deal would be in both country's interests? (and particularly mine! :lmao:)

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Could he not sent it to you as a gift or present, prearranged with him before purchase.

Customs charges apply to gifts of a certain value, and the importer is legally responsible for the customs declaration form (I know that sounds crazy) so if it's misdeclared in terms of contents and value, it's on the importer's head.

garethw

Settler
Yes I've had this in the past, where a 100 $ microphone cost me an extra 80€ in charges. (Would have been cheaper to buy if in Europe)
I guess things are going to get worse for me as I'll no longer be buying cheap clothes and accessories from the UK once the country finally goes over the cliff.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Customs charges apply to gifts of a certain value, and the importer is legally responsible for the customs declaration form (I know that sounds crazy) so if it's misdeclared in terms of contents and value, it's on the importer's head.

That's strange, i've bought stuff in the past from non eu country's. Asked the seller to mark the parcel as a gift, never been charged custom charges.

Might of got lucky, they got through customs without been checked.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

That's strange, i've bought stuff in the past from non eu country's. Asked the seller to mark the parcel as a gift, never been charged custom charges.

Might of got lucky, they got through customs without been checked.

What you're recommending is illegal. If you spend money on an item, it's not a gift. A prudent seller will mark the package at the correct value because it's their responsibility to do so. I wouldn't be admitting to conning, or recommending conning HMRC on a public forum personally.

It's just a matter of being aware that VAT must be paid on anything entering the EU. And there's an £8 admin charge. And the charges apply to insurance and shipping costs in addition to item value.

I too found out the hard way, importing a Spyderco. So many people think knives are cheaper in the US, but $/£ become almost equal with tax and logistics.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
What you're recommending is illegal. If you spend money on an item, it's not a gift. A prudent seller will mark the package at the correct value because it's their responsibility to do so. I wouldn't be admitting to conning, or recommending conning HMRC on a public forum personally.

It's just a matter of being aware that VAT must be paid on anything entering the EU. And there's an £8 admin charge. And the charges apply to insurance and shipping costs in addition to item value.

I too found out the hard way, importing a Spyderco. So many people think knives are cheaper in the US, but $/£ become almost equal with tax and logistics.

So what, what's it got do with you .

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Hahhaa - or should that be just aaaaaarh (pirate laugh)

It did cross my mind that there might be 'cuzzies' in the BCUK community when I saw big G's post. :lmao:

I've just looked at that set of 'mess tins' for 52 quid that johnyboy1971 T'd up and had another laugh.

And then another when someone living overseas thinks that the UK can't stand on its own two feet (but I won't mention that as we aren't supposed to get political on the site!) :lmao:

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
If i can save a few quid by not paying the custom charges.. i will.

I not having someone telling me i'm defrauding the HMRC.. so what.

Does he work them?

I'll keep my trap shut in future.. don't want HMRC knocking at my door!

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

They are hardly in a position to chase someone overseas for fraud are they

and HMRC are just the collectors, you are defrauding the tax payer

WOW! That looks like there's also a tax on the shipping/postage!

yes or you would get $10 items posted for $200 shipping charges ;)

one way to minimize chance without the seller breaking the law is to get them to fill in by hand (correctly as legally required ) the declaration sticker at the post office and put it on the package this has a chance that it will not be inspected and assessed as its hand written.

Companies who print out their own Customs stuff and fit on with a Clear sticky Documents holder will always get checked and assessed which is why I get hit with $200-$300 Customs bill every time i order from Knifekits or USA knifemaker for Kydex and other materials

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So what, what's it got do with you .

Nothing whatsoever, I couldn't care less whether you get caught, pay fees, get away without paying, I just think recommending an illegal workaround on a public forum is a bit silly. It doesn't need stating, we all know, just not daft enough to mention it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE