Weekend Kayaking in Norway Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Afternoon you lovely people,

I'm hoping there is someone on here that can provide me with some good ideas!

Recently I saw an advert on Facebook for a 3 day weekend kayaking trip in the Norwegian Fjords with a tour company, you flew into Bergen Friday afternoon and you came home Sunday night. With transfers, accommodation and gear included in the price. This was £370 + flights which are looking to be about £100 from Manchester. so nearly 500 for a weekend trip. Last year, myself and a few friends took a week long canoe trip to Stora Le in Sweden and all in all for flights, trains, canoe hire etc that cost us £210, so nearly 500 for 3 days is a pill I'm not willing to swallow!

The idea of being able to book a half day on a Friday and be back by Sunday night sounds great, do any of you have any experience or ideas you'd be willing to share on where to go, what companies to use etc. I must be able to get it cheaper by booking it all myself and taking my own gear with me. It's just knowing where to start!

Thanks for your help

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I think the simple answer is you're not going to get a cheap weekend of kayaking in Norway. Even if you had your own boat, transport and food are going to bump price quite a bit. If you're on a tight budget, I'd head back to Sweden. That link above sounds great, but it's a 5 day minimum and transport will be costly.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Yeah I think you might be right with that one! Norway seems to be expensive and not easily accessible! I've managed to find a 4 day trip in Sweden (Friday-Monday) for £248 and that includes, return flights, train journeys, bus journeys, canoe hire, and they give you tents, cooking equipment, axe, saw etc, so I thought that was a good deal! Back to Sweden it is!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
It's not from a company mate, I just sorted out all the logistics myself rather through an agency, much cheaper. Just took a few days of head scratching!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
If you're interested, Flights are from Birmingham to Copenhagen for £101, then 1.5 hours on the train from Copenhagen airport to Bromölla bus station then a 15 minute bus journey to Bromölla Axeltorp that costs £20ish and then it's £127 for canoe hire from a local canoe shop who also offer camping gear. I'll be taking all my own because i'll want to hammock not sleep in a tent :)

Bring on August!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The lake Ivo sjon is my old play area!!!!! I used to live in Kristianstad, Ahus and then Osby.
Fabulous canoeing, superb nature to camp in, both wild and on pre built camping areas.
Good for fishing too.

If I do not remember wrongly, in Axeltorp is where I bought both of my Canoes.

Buy your food in Bromolla. Bring your gear, but buy anti Mozzie Tar Oil in Sweden. The oldfashioned stuff that works. The Canoe shop should have it. Also I recommend you get a bottle of Ahus Absolut to enhance your evening. Made locally as you know, in Ahus.

Good choice of area!

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I forgot: There might be restrictions in place about making fire and so on. Ask in the canoe shop. If you want to fish, that shop can sell you a fishing permit.
The lake and area is very popular, lots of people like us go there. Also wardens patrol it.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I dont think Norway has to be expensive. Under £60 return flights are not uncommon. Train to the edge of the city and you are in the wild pretty much.

A blow up Kayak, train or even walk to Maridalsvannet and you are good to go. It's what I'm planning on doing at some point anyway.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Anything you buy in Norway is much more expensive than for the same stuff in Sweden
I checked out the area and lake you mention, it is heavily protected. Not so much wild nature there as it is a popular leisure area for Oslo people.
Also it seems to lack the islands, inlets and so on which make kayaking fun?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Absolutely!
Enjoying Nature is not expensive unless you go crazy with the equipment.

The positive with your suggestion is that you can be on site much faster than if you to the Swedish area.
The negative with the Norwegian area is that it is much less 'wild' than the Swedish one.
That is what I can glean from the 'net including Google Earth. The area in Sweden I know intimately as I wrote earlier.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I dont think Norway has to be expensive. Under £60 return flights are not uncommon. Train to the edge of the city and you are in the wild pretty much.

A blow up Kayak, train or even walk to Maridalsvannet and you are good to go. It's what I'm planning on doing at some point anyway.

If you are looking for Fjord Norway, then it's a flight to a much smaller airport on the west coast and fewer transport options (although very doable still). Personally I'd look at flight to Bergen, bus into the city, local train out to Stanghelle, blowup kayak into the water here and follow the fjord inland up to Bolstadøyri and get the local train back to Bergen and off home again. Very remote location, steep sided mountains and wonderful backwoods country. You might not see another person for the duration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE