Making ferro rods - help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
So I'm making a couple or ferro rods , my question is now I have to go and find the appropriate drill bit should I buy exact same size as the ferro rod (1/2inch) or a slightly bigger ? Also for lanyard holes I want to insert tubes , what size tubes should I buy and what size drill bit ?
Thanks !

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I would go some size drill bit, and give the rod a good whack in. If it is still too tight for the rod you can always give the drill bit a bit of a wiggle in the hole, file/sand down the end of the rod ever so slightly or give the inside of the hole a good sanding. basically once there is a hole there you can always make it slightly bigger, but you have a hard time making it smaller!

Not sure about the lanyard tubes though.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Forest_Girl gives good advice.

When I made a batch, I also drilled a wee bit deeper ( 2-3mm ) , this creates a well for the epoxy resin to fill and creat a better bond all round.

As for the lanyard, all I did was drill a hole for the cord to pass through, prior to doing that I lightly filed/sanded around the hole to stop the cord being worn by the rough(er) edge of drill hole.

HTH

Pete

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I found a brass tube home , just the right size , me and my father got it about 5 years ago to make a blank gun of his childhood design ended up making a bow instead so I had the tube , I also bought the same size drill bit , I epoxyed the tubes but wasn't able to make the hole for the ferro rod because my 30-40 year old drill doesn't fit this size bit , so now on the look for a drill..... My uncle has one and he will give it to me tomorrow hope it fits. Ill post the pics once im done

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
So here they are ready
Right one is for me because there was a small problem with it , I glued two pieces to try and make a cool pattern , I realized it would be weak and thats why I put the tube on the side which helped for sure , but when I put the ferro rod in some glue came out from the place where two meet , only on the part where the wood was thin but I think it should be ok ,but still I will leave it to myself if something happens to it Ill be ok.
How do you like it ? Turkish walnut covered with boiled linseed oil , high polished brass tubes and highest quality 4d bushcraft ferro rods , with my handmade belt loops

9f2fd31b645d.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE