Steak knifes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plus 1 for the Tramontina. I had two sets of Case steak knives back in the 1980s. Theyt were great but expensive and hard to keep (some thief wanted both sets) My Tramontina are going on 10 years now and still doing great.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
If a dinner with family, then I've a cheap set (£10) of those multicoloured handled ones from colourworks. They do the job just fine. Never seen the point in spending silly money on something to cut a steak with. If having steak on my own or with my partner, then it is whatever sharp knife is closest be it an opinel, SAK, etc etc

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Go mad and get one, a couple or a set from Stu Mitchell. click 'at home' and Centenary steak knife. Life's too short for poor cutlery! ;)

IMAG0229_zpsngan5wqa.jpg

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
i splashed out on Villeroy and Boch cutlery and matching steak knives a few years back and it was money well spent. You get what you pay for as with all things

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The same is true of the meats. No matter what you pay, badly prepared and badly cooked, any cut can be ruined.
Here, 100g cooked beef holds about 11g fat. Very forgiving. Bison is 2g fat/100g cooked meat, like elk, moose and venison.
The best steak knife is a fork. Blade or tenderloin.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Imho you should not need a special steak knife.
Good quality meat for frying or grilling (BBQing) should be matured and tender.
If it is tough - bad quality. Change butcher.

If you buy meat at a supermarket it helps to let it mature in the fridge for a few days. Have Vacuum packing machine? Vacuum pack it and mature it a week or more in the fridge.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have purchased at least one side of 2 yr old bison each autumn since 2002.
When the mud freezes in the ranch yard, I go shopping.
Two-yr olds vary a lot in size, depending how early they are born on the spring.
Plus, they are really boney critters. Probably 25% or more bone.

The bottom line is about $700.00 for approx 250lbs meat, cut, wrapped, labelled and quick frozen.
I ask to have it hung at 4C for minimum 7 days, max 10 days, to fit into the butcher's cutting and staffing schedule.

I know that I have steak knives, I saw them this morning. Lovely boxed set was a gift.
I can't tell you when they were last used. Same applies to elk & moose & venison in my kitchen.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
So you can make a great stock for soups and casseroles from the bones!

Meat quality has gone down in Europe the last decades. Quickly matured, if done. Young, unmature animals.

The best beef in UK and Sweden I got from friends that raised cattle.
My ideal beef is 3-4 year old, slaughtered late in autumn (Sweden) or early winter (UK), then hung for about 14 days in the barn. Protected by hessian sacking so the air can move around the carcass.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy a lamb. Buy a side of beef/bison. Barter all over for other meats. Good deal on chickens? Buy 6.
Cook for 12, eat one. Buy bulk vegetables as they become available. The key to the economy is a deep freeze.
Buy a freezer, you can't lose. They hold good resale value, too.
I build crappy bookcase/shelves for inside my freezer. One is an odd little stack which holds 8 x 9" pies.

The economy is such that any cutlery you might buy on a whim is really free.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE