Who to report this mess too?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
So local woods bramcote ridge Nottingham, its a great spot always fairly busy with people simply enjoying it.

Never had any real problems in there before however fire scars and litter have been becoming more and more of a issue.

What I really object to is the burning of plasterboards and scrap wood full of nails (picked up well over 100) and brackets. Especially when there getting in the dogs paws.

I have cleared as much as I can and carried the rubbish out and even been walking the woods at night to see if i can catch the idiots in the act without much luck. Anyway I'm after reporting it now.

The wood is a mix of private(with open access) and council land with the damaged happening on both parts.

I was wondering who to ring to report this too? What section of the council will deal with this and how would I go about talking to the owner of the private land if anything just to let him know?

Any advice would he great.

Cheers
e41c3adff91ab2baf24c2dcf15cd2c84.jpg
a7135e8f5caff0720e4ad73f74a9ac80.jpg
7610139af9b57a131c2eb5b736cd388d.jpg
2ae71b28aa2f1b6f1c2cd207fc3d8035.jpg
567c7d4cbd4c3ab156691dceda0a55de.jpg

Sent from my BV6000S using Tapatalk

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Good luck. My local woods is the same and getting worse year on year. If trade waste is being regularly burned or tipped you might stand a chance but if it's just kids then councils don't seem too concerned. I've been trying to think of a way to catch the person decorating all the trees with dog poo bags but they seem to walk at unsociable hours. As it is I satisfy myself with picking up all the metal and recycling it as at least the council make good money on that which they can then waste on clearing up the rest.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If trade waste is being burnt or tipped then you can report it to the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60

For the litter and damage to the trees try your local councils woodlands officer as well as the local councilor for where the woods are

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
If trade waste is being burnt or tipped then you can report it to the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60

For the litter and damage to the trees try your local councils woodlands officer as well as the local councilor for where the woods are
Tried this oncec and they were only interested if there was more than 2 tonnes, or toxic watse. They said to report to local council.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Cheers for the advice, have been in touch with the local council and environmental just waiting for a reply. Been up the wood clearing up again and noticed a
decent area of bracken has been burnt. Sounds overkill but seriously debating whether to put up a trail cam...

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Its a sad state of affairs when this happens, and the local Councils basically are not interested especially if the places are hard to get too, all they think about is the cost, I today went to a local Tor, which is in the middle of nowhere, very hard to get to with narrow lanes bendy roads etc,( I know all the roads in Cornwall are narrow and bendy, but these were worse.:D) and when I get there someone has dumped a load of old tyres, and not only dumped them but have carried them some distance into the surrounding area of the Tor, when I rang the Council and told them about it, no interest whatsoever.............If I could think of a way of adding some drama into the situation I would contact the Travel Channel and ask them to make a series about it....never mind Building Alaska.......what about Destroying Cornwall.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Councils are mostly broke these days and have little in the way of resources to deal with problems like this. The recycling collection crew smashed a glass bottle on the pavement in front of my house recently and left broken glass everywhere. I swept it up and reported it to the council as it isn't the first time they've left glass on the road. The council told me a 'cleansing crew' are dispatched whenever this happens but wouldn't reply after I asked them if they'd been sent out after it happened this time.

In a way I don't mind. I'd rather sweep it up myself and leave more money for essential services. If everyone did their bit, even if it was just cleaning in front of their own house, then the world would be a better place. Sadly the reality is that most people don't care and any money the council save never goes to the right people.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks normal to me..

Council won't do a thing so best to either look away or bring a rake, saw and lighter to clean it up yourself.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We use a not strictly legal site just within the bounds of the Duke of Norfolk estate. While tuck ourselves away and leave no mess, others don't. They camp in big open clearings and leave everything, bottles, cans, old food, nappies etc.

Myself and the couple of other other guys I camp with take a roll of black bags and take as much away as we can. Unfortunately it's a fair walk in so we do it over a couple of days.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
I have been going up and clearing the place up. Tue reason for reporting is more to see if they can do more to find out who it is.

I keep doing walks after dark to see if I can spot them but nothing yet. I find it really frustrating that people get away with this especially when its happening so often.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
So just a little update, first of all no reply from the council yet. Anyway been up the woods and a few more fire scars had appeared including a large area of burnt bracken. One of the areas they had attempted but failed to light a fire (that's with the use of lighter fluid and several deodorant canisters). There was a decent bit of partially burned year 11 homework from a local school with two peoples names written at the tops of a load of the pages. I don't want to seem like a busybody but it is incredibly annoying to see. I decided the best way to deal with it was to thank them for the two pallets I'm sure I can put them to use and pass the photos of the fires with pictures of the burnt homework and names onto the school. Hopefully they will have a word and the mystery fire bugs will stop! I'm optimistic this will be the end of the damage at least for a short while
ce601b60a6a914acb1cee848ddfb4219.jpg
29dcda4a776e551a7effe27b1bac0ddd.jpg
62e5c5baaa74ca5ae75f9636aa089964.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE