Bushcraft / Scout webbing setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I've just looked at that previous post Rappelby - a nice modification/creation.

I've just finished the 'poncho'/tarp roll.

It is made from material canibalised from a Swiss army large pack - rubberised Cordura - a real sew-and-sew to work with! :lmao:

Roll.JPG

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Ah nice!
I just took photos of my Poncho roll compared to an original works well but obviously the same limitations that 58" gear has.

18274982_10155059473676041_5624190188333637433_n.jpg

The poncho roll easily contains 2 US ponchos with pegs paracord bungees etc.

18268392_10155059474081041_7243645077467174815_n.jpg

Here showing the size and design difference, buckles rather than those tuck and pin things, minus the entrenching tool holder, and longer straps, and two straps wrap around the belt lt rather than the thing hanging from it.

18199294_10155059474041041_2197636446870069230_n.jpg

and this shows the width etc, it works well it's about 2" taken off both sides.

I made it to fit in with an older pouch set, yours looks nicer though ;)

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Not sure if I'm allowed to put this up, but I have a plastic bag full of a 90 set of webbing, the olive green one that I need to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Thanks for the tip Jaeger. Ironically just sold that particular warrior belt as I never really got on with it. My old 58' webbing I managed to set up more comfortable for heavy recce loads! I like the idea of weight saving with airborne webbing too, no molle or extra webbing. All pouches attached and ready to go :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Thanks for the tip Jaeger. Ironically just sold that particular warrior belt as I never really got on with it. My old 58' webbing I managed to set up more comfortable for heavy recce loads! I like the idea of weight saving with airborne webbing too, no molle or extra webbing. All pouches attached and ready to go :D
but then you find the best pouch ever..and can't fit it on the belt...
I did the same thing years ago made a decision to stick to one design, I then pop riveted a load of pouches to a belt which worked well untill I wanted to add or change something,. I do like modifying things though ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Not sure if I'm allowed to put this up, but I have a plastic bag full of a 90 set of webbing, the olive green one that I need to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nothing wrong with mentioning it, best place to depart with unwanted kit is swaps or selling area on the forum , you will find forum rules and general ethos there.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It's a nice idea. I used to use a set of OG PLCE webbing, mostly utility pouches and water bottle pouches. It was a comfy way of carrying stuff, but the main reasons I stopped using it was 2 fold:

1) In a station in East Berlin a random guy saluted me as I walked past wearing the webbing with a big pack on it...

2) Getting through tight spaces between trees and shrubbery with my already ample back side adding a foot of width became a right pain in the butt.

Which is a bit of a shame as it took me a while to put the set together. I've still got it in the kit box, but haven't used it in several years, but can't bring myself to flog it.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Surely a decent sized daysack with a built in hydration system (Camelbak Motherlode/BFM) with Molle available is better, and also has the advantage of not looking daft.

I'm not sure about the whole hydration system thing. When you've got a bladder on your back and a hose on your shoulder, it's really hard to see how much you've drunk, which makes it next to impossible to keep a track on hydration, you either drink too much, or too little. For this reason I've gone back to using bottles. Tho these days I use an ever new water pouch as a bottle, or if I need more capacity, empty diet coke bottles.

J

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
I was googling webbing and this thread came up and I thought might as well see if anyone else bought one since 2017

I bought a chest rig and have found it very useful when setting up camp etc and then like the original poster hang it up by the shelter as I get organised.

My rig was from eBay and I am very pleased with my purchase.

So anyone else gone down this rout?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I do have one of my set up using a webbing system of belt kit, I have another using a chest rig. As for the assault vest I haven't done one of that set up I may later but I have had a few conversations around the campfire about this type of set up and I know others are still thinking about it.

Those of us who are current or former serving members are used to the types of set ups and how to store the kit they need. The army now has a policy of fight light....looking back form what was carried in former times such as WW2 and compared to current operations and found a major miss match. But we like a lot of bushcrafters are always looking at our kit and coming up with new ways to carry it, sometimes we go back in style.

I know I am going more Retro in my style of stuff, and am looking at the old large pack style rucksacks rather than the old bergen style in some of my set ups.

Reactions: MartinK9

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
@C_Claycomb Thank you for this article very interesting.

I think it is a bit like the Arktis Allen belt system back in the day for organizing your kit.

I am certainly happy with the chest rig system and it fits well on the side of a shelter or along side me under the basha.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE