Bushcraft / Scout webbing setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Back in the day , I used to carry kit like this for hours / days, so I guess I'm used to having 2 pairs of shoulder straps.

Having said that, it is still comfy as the webbing yoke is so wide the daysac straps just sit on top of it, not your shoulders.

Simon

Thanks! I'll give a setup like yours a try if my current one starts to bother me :)

Dec 16, 2007
Nice set of webbing there Swampy...Do you still use it?

Simon

Yes I do. The good thing is that when I use it here in Australia people don't look at me the way they did in the UK. I also have the dragons Airborne bergan (with the GS Frame) in green and the patrol pack in sand, the bergan I use for week long+ trips and the patrol pack for 3 nights to 5 may use this for the Kokoda track in PNG next year. All very comfy with the belt kit and when in the wet tropics in Nth Queensland the idea of never going anywhere without your basic kit on you still works. I have tried loads of carry systems and in the end I always came back to belt kit was using it as a cadet in early to mid 80's and then in the firm from mid 80's to 90's and on. Why try to reinvent the wheel or if it's not broken don't fix it. Good to show the scouts this way of thinking when I was with Essex army cadets a few years back we did some joint weekends with the scouts as they had better training areas than us as the MOD was using more for the build up to Afgan and stopped cadets using them.

the belt kit is dead long live the belt kit. ;-)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
looks really nice and a lovely colour! if brown was an option I'd have bout it instead of OG, mine is a cheaper version made by Arktis looks very similar, as far as I know the do every camo under the sun but not brown....annoying! lol

I was looking to get an assault vest to carry my gear when doing a survival camp with my scouts, after reading this I will rethink this as the webbing looks like it might be better suited for my needs. My wife will probably say I do not need anymore gear, I will argue this will keep it tidy at home.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Ive never understood why some people are so anti webbing for bushcraft. For me its a good well tested system to carry your gear. In the end thats what we all want isnt it? Being a Yorkshireman I havent forked out for the modern stuff, but picked up a full set of 58 pat for only 12quid! With a fer alterations and additions its a very usefull kit and pretty comfortable if you dont overload it. I havent had any strange looks wearing webbing and wouldnt care if I did. If I win the lottery Ill look at updating but till then Im happy with my lot!

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
the viper south african assault vests are very good, large belt pouches plus attatched small back pack with bladder pocket all for around 35quid and in various colours

Kalo

Nov 28, 2012
Falkirk
Hi gents, i'm sorry if this has been asked before in another thread, but I can't seem to find an answer. I have a full set of issue webbing which I use like most for walking trips in the highlands of Scotland, I also have a rangemaster 30/50 assault pack for nights out in the hills. the question I have is how do I stop my webbing riding up at the front, is it because I have to much weight in the back or is it just not fiitted properly. Set up is, left side double ammo pouch = gaitor, left glove and 330ml flask. left back water bottle pouch = mess tins food and stove, middle back = not used trench shovel cover, right back utility pouch = wet leggings and poncho and finally right side double ammo pouch = hat, scarf and gaitor, right glove. Any help or advices would be great

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
I am another person who's bank balance looks like taking a hit having read this thread, I like the idea of a Molle webbing rig that allows me more flexibility with my many pouches etc. Dragon do one and so does Blackhawk does anyone have hand on experience of the build quality of any of this kit. i know that the molle is argued (and likely proven) to be heavier but personally if I want to carry less I would be better going on a diet as I have been accused of dodging the odd salad. Hope someone has some experience to share?

Nov 15, 2012
WINCHESTER
As an ex -squaddie I don't see any reason why we shouldn't us webbing, after all it works! Easy as!
Yeah I get the thoughts of some people when they see someone walking around in DPM but afterall who cares as long as you feel OK yourself. Personally I would go for a set that isn't DPM (mine is Coyote Brown). Can't fault it. A set of webbing and a 30-40lt daysack will deffo do me for a w/end.

I really don't want this to come across as rude as I am new to the forum. But as ex-mob as well, why do you want to wear webbing? It is useful to get at stuff quickly in a military environment. But in a civilian one, adds weight and isn't all that efficient.

Surely a decent sized daysack with a built in hydration system (Camelbak Motherlode/BFM) with Molle available is better, and also has the advantage of not looking daft.

Again I am not having a pop, as if the user is happy I don't care. I just don't see how webbing or a chest rig is useful or helpful in a civilian environment. It's not like you are going to be doing an awful lot with your load carrying system on.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I really don't want this to come across as rude as I am new to the forum. But as ex-mob as well, why do you want to wear webbing? It is useful to get at stuff quickly in a military environment. But in a civilian one, adds weight and isn't all that efficient.

Surely a decent sized daysack with a built in hydration system (Camelbak Motherlode/BFM) with Molle available is better, and also has the advantage of not looking daft.

Again I am not having a pop, as if the user is happy I don't care. I just don't see how webbing or a chest rig is useful or helpful in a civilian environment. It's not like you are going to be doing an awful lot with your load carrying system on.

I have to agree. Webbing is designed for the military user who needs to spend all his waking hours (and sometimes, sleeping hours!) wearing it- so that they are never separated from their ammunition and a few other critical items. Wandering around with that additional weight/bulk/paraphernalia hanging off you permanently really is a pain in the neck, and just isn't necessary for the outdoor hobbyist.

If people have a real need to compartmentalise their equipment, then there are a number of other solutions which are daysack based and are a lot easier to drag about and dump next to wherever you happen to be teaching/mooching.

And call me sensitive, but I wouldn't necessarily like to be viewed by others in the way that I and most people I know would probably view someone wearing webbing/assault vests in a civvi environment!

Just noticed that the original post was over a year back- possibly an opportunity for the OP to let us know how it worked out?

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Just noticed that the original post was over a year back- possibly an opportunity for the OP to let us know how it worked out?

I'd forgotten this thread...

One year on, I still use the set up as a "grab and go" set up. In fact I used it on Saturday when I was out for a couple of hours at our local Scout camp, showing another leader how to use / set up a hammock.

I never walk around carrying the rig tho, it's more a get to camp organised set up. Once at camp, I tend to hang it up under my tarp...it means I can find all my gear when I'm being pestered by the Scouts / Explorers meaning I get get a quick brew on for example.

Elen Sentier

Well as a civvie with 20 yrs working for MOD and one who likes to go walking and wild camping for a few days at a time I can see the point of this set-up. I haven't got one but am thinking of it. It's a pain to have to fish around for stuff at a halt. All my clothes have pockets everywhere which I like but am still considering this. Personally I don't give a damn what people think, that's their stuff :). Still undecicded but pix tempting. BTW, as I'm new here I'm glad the post came up again or I'd likely have missed something interesting to me, and I'm sure it's been done to death but we newcomers just will keep on turning up :rolleyes::D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I fall somewhere in the middle - i dont particularly get on with the almost obligitory bushcraft belt approch but also didn't want a webbing set up I either go with a vest with a dozen pockets or somthing I made along the lines of the kit bag made by hill people gear

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
As someone with limited funds and time to get in the woods I am trying to understand all the information, opinions and pro's and con's before buying stuff that I may be passing on to someone (likely via the classifieds here) a day or two later.

I have several packs and yes can carry the kitchen sink in some of them, but when I get to camp I do not want to unpack the whole thing just to carry the few essentials you may need as you move about foraging and exploring etc. For example I never carry an edged tool without my FAK they go everywhere together. Also some other basic stuff like paracord, sharpening stone, fire lighting basically the key bits I would gutted/ in trouble where I to get lost or separated from camp for any unforeseen reason.

For this reason I like the webbing, however I have now explored, online admittedly, and my logic evolved. Next I though about the Molle rig whether in the vest or traditional webbing setup obviously I was attracted to the under armour versions as these would be most comfortable when also carrying a pack. However, once I had reigned in the child within I realised that a full special forces battle assault rig was best left to those who really need it. Instead I am intrigued by the Molle Battle belt specifically the spec ops one made by TAS. It seems the best middle ground, it is solidly made (as best I can tell) can be used as a sleeve over an existing belt, therefore can be carried when not worn easily without adding masses of weight, it has a Molle set up so all my essential kit, i.e. FAK and Possibles pouch, these being Molle compatible, can be attached in numbers or simply just the one. It seems perfect for what I am looking for. The question is does anyone have this solution currently or have any experience and would recommend any specific manufacturer ?

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
Hi gents, i'm sorry if this has been asked before in another thread, but I can't seem to find an answer. I have a full set of issue webbing which I use like most for walking trips in the highlands of Scotland, I also have a rangemaster 30/50 assault pack for nights out in the hills. the question I have is how do I stop my webbing riding up at the front, is it because I have to much weight in the back or is it just not fiitted properly. Set up is, left side double ammo pouch = gaitor, left glove and 330ml flask. left back water bottle pouch = mess tins food and stove, middle back = not used trench shovel cover, right back utility pouch = wet leggings and poncho and finally right side double ammo pouch = hat, scarf and gaitor, right glove. Any help or advices would be great
Probably not fitted properly - the belt may be too loose. The belt should take pretty much 100% of the weight; wear the webbing without using the shoulder straps and jump up and down two or three times, the webbing shouldn't fall down. The yoke basically just stops the kit slipping down over time.

If it's not the belt, it could be that you've not got much weight in the front - remember it's designed for carrying ammunition, so much of the weight is designed to go up front.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Despite webbings military heritage, I didn't want something camo so I opted for this from Dragon Supplies...
DSCF0036.jpg

Simon

Hereby this thread is revived. Great kit Simon, but where to get a plain coloured version like yours? Having gone back to rucksacks post Recce I miss the way I had my kit organised and how I could make a brew from the comfort of my maggot. However, I searched high and low inc different manufacturers, but no joy. Unless I'd be willing to sacrefice on design, then USMCpro seems to offer a tan option - not willing to sacrefice on both colour and layout​ though.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

What a coincidence that this thread has been resurrected -

Ryan -

If you don't mind British plain Olive green how about this set up -

Warrior assault belt (not cheap but really comfortable and adjusts easily);
British webbing yoke (not Bergan side pouch yoke!) slightly mod'ed to fit belt;
Snugpack response pack (a sort of '58 pattern kidney pouch replacement);
1 (or 2) x Brit water bottle pouch; (I keep field tool set in one and H20 + millbank in 2nd home made pouch (rhs);
1 x Brit Bergan side (rocket) pouch - with a side-lock buckle added to lock it to the response pack for stability;
1 x dump pouch;
Several small utility pouches - GPS; Mauser folder;
1 x brolly carrier (self made) see http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141716&highlight=umbrella

All of this is available (2017) and with the exception of the warrior belt (£50!) is relatively cheap.

The last time that I used such a system (work-wise) - '58 pattern webbing was on its way out (just!) :lmao:.

After carrying a ruck since, I have recently gone back to trial-ing the webbing system shown for summer use and can carry everything that I need for a 'bushcraft' day out.

Although my main reason for doing so was to try and limit a sweat soaked back due to carrying a ruck (I often tend to keep on the move and put a fair few miles in), I have found that for the same weight of kit as in a ruck, the webbing feels less restrictive, more comfortable (most of the weight is on my hips now) plus items are more quickly accessible. (And the sweat issue has receded :)).

I'm presently working on a '58 pattern style poncho roll holder (in plain olive) so that I can add that to carry a hex tarp (tarpee) that I have just completed and which I intend to clip on, preferably between the response pack and the rocket pouch for later in the year -when the weather is wet........er.

IMG_4607.JPG IMG_4608.JPG IMG_4609.JPG IMG_4610.JPG

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Aye Up,

What a coincidence that this thread has been resurrected -

Ryan -

If you don't mind British plain Olive green how about this set up -

Warrior assault belt (not cheap but really comfortable and adjusts easily);
British webbing yoke (not Bergan side pouch yoke!) slightly mod'ed to fit belt;
Snugpack response pack (a sort of '58 pattern kidney pouch replacement);
1 (or 2) x Brit water bottle pouch; (I keep field tool set in one and H20 + millbank in 2nd home made pouch (rhs);
1 x Brit Bergan side (rocket) pouch - with a side-lock buckle added to lock it to the response pack for stability;
1 x dump pouch;
Several small utility pouches - GPS; Mauser folder;
1 x brolly carrier (self made) see http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141716&highlight=umbrella

All of this is available (2017) and with the exception of the warrior belt (£50!) is relatively cheap.

The last time that I used such a system (work-wise) - '58 pattern webbing was on its way out (just!) :lmao:.

After carrying a ruck since, I have recently gone back to trial-ing the webbing system shown for summer use and can carry everything that I need for a 'bushcraft' day out.

Although my main reason for doing so was to try and limit a sweat soaked back due to carrying a ruck (I often tend to keep on the move and put a fair few miles in), I have found that for the same weight of kit as in a ruck, the webbing feels less restrictive, more comfortable (most of the weight is on my hips now) plus items are more quickly accessible. (And the sweat issue has receded :)).

I'm presently working on a '58 pattern style poncho roll holder (in plain olive) so that I can add that to carry a hex tarp (tarpee) that I have just completed and which I intend to clip on, preferably between the response pack and the rocket pouch for later in the year -when the weather is wet........er.

View attachment 44384 View attachment 44385 View attachment 44386 View attachment 44387

Great set up Jaeger, ive had thoughts along these lines myself , might have to give it another think in light of this post .

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm still finding ways to adapt webbing, I like the mix-n-match aproach!

as for a poncho roll modification, I did one years ago but can't find photos, anyhow here is a poncho roll/PLCE sidepouch type idea
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51433&highlight=poncho+roll+mod

modular is best as you can tinker around and change bits, I love using it I think as long as you mix and match your gear it dosen't look to military, i.e. don't wear anything that looks like a full uniform. I made this mistake in the past everything I had was DPM, but you couldn't wear it to the shops or local pub.
i quite like using gear that the well known Armies don't use, like old canvas webbing and green, everything they use now is MPT camo or Khaki.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE