Hammock help/advice ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
I've never used a hammock before but I've been looking to invest in one.

What's the best one to go for out of the DD frontline or the DD superlight ?
Weight is extremely important to me but I'm willing to sacrifice some weight if it's beneficial.

What's the best setup to have, under blanket or a mat ?

Any help and advice appreciated

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
My DH has a DD Frontline and I like it. Consider DD frontline but with whoopie slings. The frontline suspension is dead simple (think massive shoe laces) but also quite heavy.
An underquilt is much nicer, smaller (if you can afford down) and warmer, but for starting out or if you want the option of being able to go to ground a thermarest or closed cell foam mat are good alternatives. You'll need a top quilt and a tarp too. I suggest a light sleeping bag and just have it open almost to the foot end, leaving a foot box. If you need a bug net I think the superlight needs a separate one. The superlight system does look very compact though.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Speak to scotty at BespokeUltralight if weight is important he's deffo your man

He did my ulyralight hammock set up and i couldn't be happier

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I've never used a hammock before but I've been looking to invest in one.

What's the best one to go for out of the DD frontline or the DD superlight ?
Weight is extremely important to me but I'm willing to sacrifice some weight if it's beneficial.

What's the best setup to have, under blanket or a mat ?

Any help and advice appreciated

I've not used either, but I did a lot of checking the different DD hammock systems (only theirs) and out of those two, I was going to go for the Superlight, and then buy a separate mozzy net due to the huge weight saving (they do a separate superlight net too). I did like the double layered design of the Frontline though, due to its cocooning/sleeping mat ability.

I ended-up with their Superlight Jungle Hammock for different reasons (wanting a more versatile system that could be used on the ground as well as suspended).

Last edited:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Length and width mate. Both hammocks are too small.
try a cheap 11 foot hammock and you'll see how much more comfy they are. You can get more on the diagonal and lay flatter. Less shoulder squeeze too

Thank you for the info - never tried a hammock before so I won't know what I'm missing in the Superlight Jungle when I get a chance to hang it :cool:

(This is a good thing!)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
What's comfortable is very personal, and it may take a bit of time to get it right. Good thing is that there is a thriving 2nd hand market for hammocks.

My DH much prefers his DD Frontline to my much larger Hennessy Hammocks Explorer Deluxe even if mine should be more comfortable based on specs
So give hammocking a go but don't write it all off if you don't like the first one you try.

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Thanks for the advice and help everyone, most appreciated :)

After looking at many, many hammocks I've come to like the warbonnet blackbird xlc. I think it's the only one we can't get in the UK!

Hoping someone knows where to buy it from though ?

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
No personal experience but as you say everyone seems very happy with theirs. Most people who move on seem to do it because the want to experiment or trynew things, npt because they don't like it. Enjoy your new hammock and remember to experiment with your set up until you find what works best for you! :)

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Thanks everyone for all your help. I managed to buy the one I wanted after many hours of research lol

I'm now just waiting for my WBBB XLC SL 1.7 to come :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE