A very silly hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A while back I made a 7 panel skull cap for a friend, upholstery leather outer, wool inner. He liked it so much for working at a country park as a volunteer that he asked me for another but with a brim to keep the rain from running into his eyes and down his neck.

I immediately cut out the parts, then forgot all about it for a year then spent 14 hours solid (finished at 2.30 AM on the day before we set off to visit him) sewing it with thick linen thread and a good old UK made needle (one did the whole job) .

It fits and he likes it so it was worth it. Personally I wouldn't be seen about town with it but for working out in the sticks ...

huntersHat01_zpsvclilzxl.jpg

huntersHat02_zpsj6f4bl6e.jpg

The stitches are doubled back every few inches to stop any runs and I've since added a one inch diameter circle of leather to the apex to cover the central join and rubbed in a lot of Nikwax water proofing goo into the the topside. In real life the linings less pink and more bright red. The brims slightly lobsided so we have called the wider bit the back. When in doubt pretend its intentional!

ATB

Tom

middlewolf

Feb 12, 2017
Portland, OR
Actually, appearance aside, you might have just "created a monster". That looks very practical and even more-so with a little wider brim if it can be stiffened if needed. The way things go today on-line don't be surprised if it pops up on the web. Won't be by me but who knows.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I really like it, it puts me in mind of a helmet, would be interested in seeing it on the head and possibly with a wider brim.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I'm afraid I won't be seeing it again for a few months until I next go over to see him but on if does look quite helmet like, something like a leather version of the classic medeival soup bowl helmet that in cheap films is often the shell of a Tommy helmet polished down to the bare metal , you know the sort. The size of the brim was specified by the end user so the whole thing could be crushed into a pocket of his work jacket. The leather and wool are quite thick so it gives him a touch of bump protection when they don't have to wear helmets. He's 6 foot 7 when he slouches and not the most spatially aware so door frames and low branches are not his friends!

i myself won't be making another as it took about 15 hours to cut out , mark the stitches with a wheel, poke through with a diamond awl and saddle stitch the leather parts together. The lining was back stitched together and whip stitched in place.

Its quite a tight fit but if it blows off in use ill take over a couple of bits of leather with eyelets in them that I can sew on so he can tie a chin cord to them. I don't think it will need it myself.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Reminds me of the commercial fishermen's hats, the "sou'westers."
They have a long bill at the back to keep the water out of your neck. Good chin cords.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I like it reckon it would suit me when wearing my twodogs

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Not my style. ... but that is a proper job! 👍

How you even find the time to make that ,is anyone's guess...

I bet your garden is keeping you busy right now!
Look forward to hearing what you're growing this year!
All the best

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE