How to stop soot burn from forming on the Crusader mug?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all, I used the Stainless steel Crusader mug with a hexi cooker and dragons breath gel fuel tablets that leave the bottom and sides black with soot, does anyone know a way to stop this from happening? Would tin foil do the trick, but wouldn't it reduce the performance?

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
A fine layer of washing up liquid on the outside of the mug will help to clean the soot off but ultimately there's not a lot you can do. Hexi is a messy substance. Why not try a meths burner as it's a lot cleaner. Make one out of an old show polish tin or coke can (plenty of vids on youtube) and you'll still be able to use it in conjunction with your hexi cooker.

Otherwise just embrace the soot and enjoy the added character that it gives your mug, they usually scrub up pretty well with a scouring pad.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
With the hexi, a top tip is just to give the mug a really thorough rub on the ground, preferably when its still warm, the mud particles help scour the sticky residue off.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Wipe it off with the used tea bag after making your brew, it'll come off very easily. Otherwise just rub on the grass etc..

Tonyuk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Soot tells you are doing "bushcraft"! If you want clean, cook on gas...in the kitchen ;):lmao:

I haven't used hex, but have used meths and little wood burners. Soot has been pretty much unavoidable and the wipe down on the ground, or with moss, has been the best way. I also made up a draw string silnylon bag to keep any remaining soot off other gear, anything would work, so long as it is a closer fit than a supermarket carrier bag!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Wipe it off with the used tea bag after making your brew, it'll come off very easily. Otherwise just rub on the grass etc..

Tonyuk

I see Tony beat me to it. A used tea bag works wonders for cleaning soot/gunk off of your mug or mess tin. As other have said Hexi is messy I used the fire rope meths idea on my Crusader cooker. Works wonders and very little if any clean up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE